FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I was searching the forum for your GS Brenda and only found the initial pic. Can you please post a review, new pics, the mods you've done, etc?

A few of you know I'm looking for a new ride for my wife. All the searches for a proper sport bike for the vertically challenged all point back to BMW who offers several models that can be factory lowered as well as up to 6 seat choices including the "extra low" model. I'm going to try and get her over to the dealer to sit on some even though they are not currently lowered. They do have quite a line-up of 2015 bikes they are being quite aggressive on pricing to clear them out. I can get her the F 800 GT with the extra low seat (30.1" seat height)... they have just about the entire 800 lineup in stock and they have a 2015 700 like Brenda's but in blue. It is strange that these have the same engines, just the the 700 comes with 5 less HP?

2016-BMW-F-800-GT-Montego-Blue-Metallic-5.jpg

Another notable difference for their stock is the 700 has the EAS and the 800 does not, but the 800 has USD adjustable forks and the 700 has std 41mm non-adjustable forks...

Last edited:
Initially the 800ST was the bike I had my eye on...even drove to Denver to test ride it.

IMG_1228.jpg

But with so many great roads around here that are dirt, well the GS700 made more sense for me

Bren's BMW resized.JPG

I have added a taller windscreen from V-Stream
handguards from Barkbusters
skid plate and rack from AltRider
and a comfort seat that the dealer gave me

I absolutely love the bike so far....fits me to a T. No problems with the low suspension as far as handling or being top heavy
as far as horsepower goes, I have no trouble keeping up with John on his BMW1200 GSA...but then again, I have to keep him in line you know....can't have anymore performance awards!

I picked up Michele from work and as we were coming up to the dealer, I said "Let's make a pit-stop to check out these bikes." After sitting on many and discussing them with the dealer, she settled on the BMW F800R. We ordered the "extra-low" seat option along with the center stand. With that seat, she will likely flat-foot this bike. It was easy for her to stand up as is and she is on the balls of her feet. She likes this style better than the 700 GS Brenda. Because this was a 2015 holdover, we got them below $8,200, then came the taxes, fees, registration, add-ons, etc.... $10,400.00 OTD with most of the premium setup! We will pick it up on Saturday provided at least the seat is in on time!

First mod will be a windscreen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• F800R.jpg
    F800R.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Mich_F800R.jpg
    Mich_F800R.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 425
I'm glad she chose this one because the suspension is much better although this one doesn't have the EAS like the 700 GS did beside it. So now I will have to sell her Deep Purple FZ1. I'd just this past week put on the Shad top-case racks and an aftermarket top-case too. I think the only things I'm going to remove are the Top Saddlery seats and the 2Bros CF can. The 2Bros will move to my bike and I'll put the titanium can on hers to sell with it.

Anyone interested in a Top Saddlery seat set? Lowered edition? Not used much and always garaged so there's no sun damage. I'll have to post them with current pics.

Today, I'm ordering frame sliders and a screen for her F800R.

Wow! Lots of things going on here! I've been out of the loop! Congrats on the new ride Chele!! I haven't been on much. Wound up with a nice case of Sciatica for two weeks now so sitting in front of the PC is out of the question. I think I missed the voting on the contest as well. :(

Wow! Lots of things going on here! I've been out of the loop! Congrats on the new ride Chele!! I haven't been on much. Wound up with a nice case of Sciatica for two weeks now so sitting in front of the PC is out of the question. I think I missed the voting on the contest as well. :(

Sorry about the sciatica Billy. I too have been hampered by this (too much desk work) so I've been getting up and moving every hour.

Her bike was a leftover on the floor and without modifying the suspension, just adding the extra-low seat, it will be 30.3" so with her boots on, she should be just about flat-foot. I can tell you that the FZ1 lowered is horrid for both handling and ride comfort. With the adjustable link on the FZ1, it changes the rear suspension geometry so much that the rear shock becomes nearly useless. With the F800R, she will have unaltered suspension and a low seat. Since she isn't a fast of aggressive rider, this will be more than adequate for her style. It still is, for an 800, a heavy bike but it seems to be all centered much lower (gas tank is under the seat).

The seat is supposed to me there Friday so I hope to get her over there Saturday to pick it up. I am going to put my pillion pegs back on my bike temporarily and take her over two-up. I have to charge the Go-Pro and see if I can get some video of the first ride! Somewhere in the system is her center stand but I'm not concerned about that being available for a while. On order is a Puig dark smoke racing screen as well as a set of R&G frame sliders.

The F800R comes with ABS (selectable) and heated grips (good for those few days of winter in TX! LOL!!!)

Sorry about the sciatica Billy. I too have been hampered by this (too much desk work) so I've been getting up and moving every hour.

Her bike was a leftover on the floor and without modifying the suspension, just adding the extra-low seat, it will be 30.3" so with her boots on, she should be just about flat-foot. I can tell you that the FZ1 lowered is horrid for both handling and ride comfort. With the adjustable link on the FZ1, it changes the rear suspension geometry so much that the rear shock becomes nearly useless. With the F800R, she will have unaltered suspension and a low seat. Since she isn't a fast of aggressive rider, this will be more than adequate for her style. It still is, for an 800, a heavy bike but it seems to be all centered much lower (gas tank is under the seat).

The seat is supposed to me there Friday so I hope to get her over there Saturday to pick it up. I am going to put my pillion pegs back on my bike temporarily and take her over two-up. I have to charge the Go-Pro and see if I can get some video of the first ride! Somewhere in the system is her center stand but I'm not concerned about that being available for a while. On order is a Puig dark smoke racing screen as well as a set of R&G frame sliders.

The F800R comes with ABS (selectable) and heated grips (good for those few days of winter in TX! LOL!!!)

I hope you feeling better now! Ouch! :(

Thanks guys. This is my third bout with this in 20 years so I've been through it already. Just have to wait it out and go slow. I'm pissed because I bought the GoPro Chest Harness and want to try it out so bad!! Don't forget some video when you guys go out.

So, my dumb-arse self forgot the GoPro so no video. Sorry! But, this is her arriving home with the new beast. We took some side roads home then I twisted her arm to get her to go out Nameless Road to get a feel for it in the corners. It was getting very hot and she was reluctant but we did it. She likes the way this one handles in the corners much better than the FZ1. She does not like the lower HP though but over-all, I think she likes this bike better for many reasons.

BMW puts a lot of nice items on the bike that we'd typically mod on others. Sintered brake pads in the front on 4 pot Brembo radial mounted calipers being fed by SS braided brake lines. Heated grips, gear indicator, ABS, horizontal mounted valve stems front and rear, rear reservoir shock, fully adjustable, USD forks, fully adjustable, Metzler Roadtec Z8 tires.... I'm still discovering what the bike has vs what it does not! Overall, very impressive machine. I've yet to ride it other than parking it in the garage (which, btw, put my 4Runner outside until I can sell her FZ1!)

F800R_Home_SM.jpg

Back