R1 Forks

I've got mine about 1.5 mm in the top clamp. I plan in moving it to flush and see if I notice any change.

I may lower the shock a couple of mm and see what that does. With the rearsets I'm not worried about ground clearance. With stock foot pegs I'd be hesitant to lower the bike at all.

I am not sure the $$ is justified for the meagre improvement over stock. I have SS lines and HH brake pads already.

Just revisiting this comment.

I ran my 07 6 pot brakes with the stock FZ1 MC and they were acceptable but after I put a 2007 R6 radial master cylinder on, the brakes were freaking unbelievable.
It was a huge increase in braking performance.

I think you would be surprised at how much better the brakes can be with the proper MC CrazyBiker

Just revisiting this comment.

I ran my 07 6 pot brakes with the stock FZ1 MC and they were acceptable but after I put a 2007 R6 radial master cylinder on, the brakes were freaking unbelievable.
It was a huge increase in braking performance.

I think you would be surprised at how much better the brakes can be with the proper MC CrazyBiker

Remember he is the Doubting Thomas. ;)

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I finally got to go for a good ride today with the now 5W equipped forks.
What a difference using the correct weight fork oil makes. My original suspension guy hasn't got a clue, it was way too stiff with the 10W oil he put I them.
I actually have some damping now.
I set my preload and mucked around with the rebound and the bike was awesome today.
It was turning in real fast in the slow stuff and was still holding a nice line on the fast sweepers.
It feels like a Sportsbike but is still fairly plush over the bumpy stuff.
R1 fork mod is definitely worth it and having powerful 6 pot radial brakes is a nice bonus too.

Here are a couple of gratuitous shots from today's ride :)

Fz1-forum2-2.jpg

Fz1-forum3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Ballmead. Worth all of the effort huh?

I got my Fren Tubo brake lines in this week. I hope to get them installed this weekend. I bought R1 front lines and had them lengthen the line from the MC to the junction block by 80mm. I lined them up this morning and the fit appears to be good.

They sent me an R1 rear brake line too, anyone need one???

I can't even begin to tell you how great the bike looks now! I had done the same thing a while back, going from 5WT oil to 10WT, not even realizing that there was also a 7WT oil that could have been used. With the stock GenI forks and 10WT oil, the ride was way too hard and jittery, even on the softest of settings. I replaced it the last time I did the forks with 5WT again and she was back to normal. Great job buddy, be proud!

Remember he is the Doubting Thomas. ;)

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] he sure comes across like that some times.

Hey, I am a PhD student so I am into habit of asking for proof, verification and experimental numbers for every claim of improvement someone makes whether in a research paper or on a forum ... LOL

I shelled out for the 04 R1 MC and got the foldable and extendable levers from ebay for the R1 too. So wait and watch ;)

What an awesome deal jboat, the traxxion inserts are supposed to be awesome.

Nice pics there too mate, the R1 looks sweet as.

Unfortunately you won't be able to use the FZ1 Pazzo lever with the new R6 Master Cylinder, you will have to order an R6 one instead.
I have the same problem, I have a nice new FZ1 ASV brake lever doing nothing now :(

Looks great Ballmead. Worth all of the effort huh?

I got my Fren Tubo brake lines in this week. I hope to get them installed this weekend. I bought R1 front lines and had them lengthen the line from the MC to the junction block by 80mm. I lined them up this morning and the fit appears to be good.

They sent me an R1 rear brake line too, anyone need one???

That makes good sense as there is not much room for 2 lines straight off the MC.

When you fit them up can you please take some pics?

Back