R1 Forks

I have a question about the R1 conversion.

Do the R1 07/08 forks perform any better than the R1 05/06 Forks?

I know the 07/08 forks have 6 pot calipers so that alone is a good reason to get them.

I do however like the idea of the easy route, less cost that you get by fitting the 05/06 forks.

I don't, think so. My buddy has an '07 R1 and externally it look the same as the previous generation.

I'll do a little reseach this weekend on it.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
While they appear the same from the outside, the pre 07 forks use a smaller cartridge rod and body. Not sure of the exact specs but there would likely be a performance difference (presumably an improvement) in the later forks. Here's a good thread with Lee from Traxxion (sportryder) adding to the discussion. I have also read that the spring rate is softer on the earlier forks but don't know for sure (spring rate on the 08s R1 forks seems just right for my FZ)
which R1 forks fit in - FZ1OA Message Board

Sumitomo radials 4pistons calipers fit on 04/06R1 and actually on R6 are a very good stock stuff:monolithic calipers..better than brembo set fit on bmw S1000rr for example(the cheaper brembo product in 2 pieces..).When I use my friend's 07R1 I really don't feel a better brake sensation respect my bike..When you will buy your r1 suspensions 07fork need to be regenerate as 05/06 fork so at the end depend all from what you like more..in my opinion,4pistons calipers are more beautifull and you can chose the color of piston's cap:gold,silver,red,blue...more than this..;-)

I have a question about the R1 conversion.

Do the R1 07/08 forks perform any better than the R1 05/06 Forks?

I know the 07/08 forks have 6 pot calipers so that alone is a good reason to get them.

I do however like the idea of the easy route, less cost that you get by fitting the 05/06 forks.

The 04-06 forks use 20mm cartridges & .92 springs & 07-08 use 24mm cartridges and slightly heavies springs .95 if i remember correct. As far as performance they are about the same, you can actually swap cartridges as they are the same length. It all comes down to what deal you get on the day and whats for sale, i went with the 04-06 forks because i had a near new set of pads and liked the gold calipers.

Are you sure about being able to swap the cartridges? I thought that was dispelled?? Aren't they different manufacturers?

Last edited:
Sumitomo radials 4pistons calipers fit on 04/06R1 and actually on R6 are a very good stock stuff:monolithic calipers..better than brembo set fit on bmw S1000rr for example(the cheaper brembo product in 2 pieces..).When I use my friend's 07R1 I really don't feel a better brake sensation respect my bike..When you will buy your r1 suspensions 07fork need to be regenerate as 05/06 fork so at the end depend all from what you like more..in my opinion,4pistons calipers are more beautifull and you can chose the color of piston's cap:gold,silver,red,blue...more than this..;-)

I am sure that much of what drove Yamaha to "upgrade" to the 6 pot calipers was sexiness for marketing rather than outright performance. Still, I personally find the caps that you find beautiful, rather tacky and prefer the understated looks of the 6 pots. The rotors for the 6 pots are also smaller offering a minor reduction in unsprung weight. To each is own :)

I am sure that much of what drove Yamaha to "upgrade" to the 6 pot calipers was sexiness for marketing rather than outright performance. Still, I personally find the caps that you find beautiful, rather tacky and prefer the understated looks of the 6 pots. The rotors for the 6 pots are also smaller offering a minor reduction in unsprung weight. To each is own :)

Well as I sad..depend from what you like..I love the gold piston's caps of my calipers that are in line with others golds particulars of the bike..and when I changed cal my intent was to respect the original bike's look(fz1 stock assial sumitomo calipers are also monolithic and very good).. 6 pistons cal looks so heavy.. But if you prefer it why not?

Are you sure about being able to swap the cartridges? I thought that was dispelled?? Aren't they different manufacturers?

Lee from Traxxions confirmed this for me on the other site, but why would you want to? the 24mm cartridge doesn't perform any better than 20mm so as far as an upgrade it is pointless. The R1 forks are pretty decient from stock, i haven't resprung them only changed the oil and they perform very well both on the track & road for my riding. Lets face it for $5-600 this has to be the best mod for this bike!!!.

Ballmead here are a couple of pics of the 04-06 R1 setup. The forks are 12mm shorter than stock, i have them installed 2.5mm down in the top yoke. The bike turns great and is very stable at high speeds.

I have already ordered the R1 radial calipers and R6 M/C.
The forks are proving a bit harder to find.
There is one nice set on EBay but the guy wants $586 USD delivered.
I'll just have to be a bit patient.

I have already ordered the R1 radial calipers and R6 M/C.
The forks are proving a bit harder to find.
There is one nice set on EBay but the guy wants $586 USD delivered.
I'll just have to be a bit patient.

With the strong AUS$ at the moment a R1 07-08 Ohlins front-end off ebay can be had cheap with a pair of Brembos. You would be the envy of all of us !!!

Can't go wrong with the 08 R1 forks!

5235574716_cfcbb7d41a_b.jpg

5235574984_2f31ace824_b.jpg

Know the feeling, I've been buying small things for my bike like fender eliminator and new grips and from 8000 miles away I can feel my girlfriend glare at me and shake her head. They just don't understan do they lol

Back