R1 Forks

A couple of points if you're gonna be using 07/08 R1 forks (or Ohlins forks for 07/08 R1):

You can only use the 6-piston caliper. With the wide caliper bolt spacing, no other caliper will fit.

Are these brakes better than 4-piston R1's or FZ1's? Not really. The advantage to using them is they use the "narrow" path rotor which is somewhat lighter than the wider rotor. Yes, you can use your FZ1 rotors (with spacers) or R1 4-piston rotors, but why would you want to; they're heavier, and they just don't look right with the 6-piston caliper.

A couple of points if you're gonna be using 07/08 R1 forks (or Ohlins forks for 07/08 R1):

You can only use the 6-piston caliper. With the wide caliper bolt spacing, no other caliper will fit.

Are these brakes better than 4-piston R1's or FZ1's? Not really. The advantage to using them is they use the "narrow" path rotor which is somewhat lighter than the wider rotor. Yes, you can use your FZ1 rotors (with spacers) or R1 4-piston rotors, but why would you want to; they're heavier, and they just don't look right with the 6-piston caliper.

Mate, the 6 pot brakes are waaayyy better then FZ1 stock brakes, period.

Especially once you mate them up with an R6 or R1 Master Cylinder, they are much more powerful and progressive.

Mate, the 6 pot brakes are waaayyy better then FZ1 stock brakes, period.

Especially once you mate them up with an R6 or R1 Master Cylinder, they are much more powerful and progressive.

Oh, they are more progressive for sure, no argument. More powerful? Sorry, they ain't, at least not when cold. This isn't just my opinion; check the stopping distance of an 07 FZ1 vs an 07 R1, I forget where I saw it, Cycle World, MC, Sport Rider. The FZ1 actually stopped in a shorter distance than the R1. Of course, a braking test is not the race track, and the 6-piston is certainly capable when hot, I know this first hand. IMHO, Yamaha went to this set-up to use the narrowest possible rotor, to reduce unsprung weight and to reduce the gyroscopic effect of large, heavy spinning rotors.

Oh, they are more progressive for sure, no argument. More powerful? Sorry, they ain't, at least not when cold. This isn't just my opinion; check the stopping distance of an 07 FZ1 vs an 07 R1, I forget where I saw it, Cycle World, MC, Sport Rider. The FZ1 actually stopped in a shorter distance than the R1. Of course, a braking test is not the race track, and the 6-piston is certainly capable when hot, I know this first hand. IMHO, Yamaha went to this set-up to use the narrowest possible rotor, to reduce unsprung weight and to reduce the gyroscopic effect of large, heavy spinning rotors.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/attachments/gen-ii-mods/8139d1323533783-r1-forks-retfrsm.jpg

That and they are drop dead gorgeous, at least your set up is!

Not in my experience, they are that much more powerful and progressive on my 2010 FZ1N, it's not funny.

Did you scotch-brite your rotors, maybe your pads are glazed?

Last edited:

I 100% agree. With the stock MC the 6 potters were meh! Stock FZ1 monoblock sumitomo calipers are superb even with stock pads, infact many rate them better than the S1000RR 2 piece brembos. But once I put the R1 MC, they are now on par with the stock FZ1 setup but with a much better feedback at the lever. Braking wise they are equal or less.

As some of you may know I bought another set of 2008 R1 forks off EBay.

This time they are black in colour and I had them serviced and had the valving tweaked as well.

I asked for the valving to be a tad softer on the initial damping and then firm through the midrange.

Well the blokes at Trooper Lu's garage, here in Moorebank Sydney, did an awesome job.
The bike now soaks up the bumps heaps better than stock R1 forks which are a tad hard on initial damping (especially on some of our bumpy roads) for my liking.

Once I got into it, on one of my favourite roads, the bike was riding like it is on rails.

I'm loving the bike atm, it's sooo much fun to ride now.

No, you need the 07-08 R1 forks and 310mm disks or use the bodgy spacers some people are using. (FZ1 has 320mm disks)

They are radial mount and do not fit the stock FZ1 forks

I'm collecting the bits to do this mod too and I have a follow-up questions to this... Firstly, does the FZ1 front wheel fit into the R1 forks (Im going for '09s) with the FZ1 axle or the R1 axle (or are they the same?)

Second question... Will the 310mm R1 discs fit the FZ1 wheel?

Thanks for a very informative thread.

Yes your FZ1 wheel will work. Use your stock metal spacers inbetween the wheel and the fork tubes.

Use the R1 axle as the FZ1 one wont work.

Yes, R1 rotors bolt right up.

Thanks Papa. Subsequent to posting this I found your build thread which held the answers. So thanks x 2.

I'm going the way of Graves extended fork caps so I dont need to lower the front (unless I want to after some experimentation to quicken the steering)

Thanks Papa. Subsequent to posting this I found your build thread which held the answers. So thanks x 2.

I'm going the way of Graves extended fork caps so I dont need to lower the front (unless I want to after some experimentation to quicken the steering)

Assuming that the length of your new forks (09s are they?) is essentially the same as the 07/08 R1 forks I would suggest that you hold off on the expense of the extended fork caps. I actually have the rear of my bike raised about 1cm with the Penske and the R1 (08) forks flush in the trees and find the bike to steer very nicely with quick turn in yet no hint of instability or twitchiness. Have fun!

Assuming that the length of your new forks (09s are they?) is essentially the same as the 07/08 R1 forks I would suggest that you hold off on the expense of the extended fork caps. I actually have the rear of my bike raised about 1cm with the Penske and the R1 (08) forks flush in the trees and find the bike to steer very nicely with quick turn in yet no hint of instability or twitchiness. Have fun!

Hmmm, perhaps I should try the forks before coughing up for the caps. A dodgy shoulder means I can't have too much weight forward for extended periods of time, but its worth experimenting.

Hmmm, perhaps I should try the forks before coughing up for the caps. A dodgy shoulder means I can't have too much weight forward for extended periods of time, but its worth experimenting.

Sorry I missed your question posted earlier, but PapaG answered it for you.

I agree you should give the forks a go as is before spending any more money on caps.

My forks are flush with the top triples and I also have an extra 5mm on the shock and like eurban, I find the bike to steer faster but is not twitchy at all.

The long wheelbase allows for a fair bit of adjustment in geometry.

anyone got some settings i havent changed them since i fitted them and there bit hard cant even find the stock settings online for the 08's

306000_10150652409168800_548062643_n.jpg

its fine really but would be nice to check against someone elses settings or stock

Back