R1 Forks

I spent around 3.5 hours putting my 07 R1 forks and brakes on my FZ1N.
I got the forks back yesterday from my suspension guy after a fork service and decided to go ahead and install them today.
I was going to wait for my 09 R6 master cylinder to arrive but I thought stuff it, I want to go for a ride tomorrow with my new forks and I'll put the R6 master cylinder on another time. (if and when it arrives)
It was a pretty straight forward swap out but I took my time.
Having never bled brakes before, I was quite impressed with the job that I did of it.
I went for a quick ride and it seemed a bit firmer but smoother, but I won't know until after a proper ride tomorrow.
The 6 pot brakes are very progressive, the harder you press the better they work.
Once my pads are bed in better and my 07 R6 MC arrives, I'm sure they will be better again.
I will report back tomorrow on how the forks and brakes performed and I will post a few pics too.

Last edited:
I went for a nice ride today on my usual testing ground and gave the R1 forks a good workout.
The front end is much more stiff and you can really get good feedback from the front end.
It holds a line really well now especially in fast sweepers and it turns on a dime.
I was initially worried that it would be too twitchy as the R1 forks are 15mm shorter but after today's ride, it's not an issue at all.
The bike is still fairly stable but now it is more precise with holding a line and getting into corners quickly.
The bike is now more sport than tourer.
The brakes are ok too as they are very progressive, in that the harder you pull them the better they work.
The initial bite is not there like with my stock FZ1 brakes but this could be due to the fact that the pads are crap or the stock FZ1 Master cylinder is not quite up to the job.
If and when my R6 MC turns up I will know the answer to that.
All in all the R1 conversion has pretty much transformed the bike, I still need to have a bit of a play with the damper settings as today was just a shake down run and the bike passed with flying colours.

Here are a couple of pics of my R1 fork conversion.

Fz1forum1-1.jpg

Fz1forum2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Looks Great!

My 06 R1 fork with calipers are due to arrive Tues. I can't wait!...:sport12:

You will love it, it was a lot of fun installing everything and then taking the bike for a ride afterwards.
It was a very satisfying experience, let me tell you.

A couple of years back i had r1 -07 as a trackbike. I was a former superbike (sweden pro superbike) and the breaks was great.
So, dont worry if the mc dosent do the trick go for different pads..

Here are a bad pic of my bike with r1-08 fork, its take with my mobilephone sorry..

A couple of years back i had r1 -07 as a trackbike. I was a former superbike (sweden pro superbike) and the breaks was great.
So, dont worry if the mc dosent do the trick go for different pads..

Here are a bad pic of my bike with r1-08 fork, its take with my mobilephone sorry..

Looks great! :woot:

Were there pictures of them before you made the purchase and how much did you pay?

The paint on the calipers is disgusting, but it should come off with the right chemicals.

I never understood how people chew up the preload adjusters on the tops of the fork, what do they use to a key? Large screw drivers are cheap.

Here's a few pics. Check out the condition the box arrived in! I thought about leaving negative feedback but I don't want them to retaliate and leave me a negative...

Well, since you were the "buyer", he should have left you feedback first for promptly paying him for the item. As a "buyer", I never leave feedback first, ever. I contact them through the "contact seller" option, tell them that I received the item, and then tell them that as soon as I see positive feedback for prompt payment that I will leave feedback for them. Once you have paid a seller, your end of the deal is done and they should immediately give you feedback. I never allow them to hold me "hostage" with the feedback. I just got an item two weeks back that I still haven't gotten feedback from. I just forget about the seller and the feedback. It's more important for them as "sellers" to gain positive feedback on their account. Trust me, next time just contact them when the item arrives and tell them like I do. You'll see that in most cases they will go ahead and leave the feedback. If they don't, it may be that they are worried that the item they sold wasn't as described or something else. To me, whats important is that I get the merchandise.

Check to see if your shipping charges included insurance because if it did, you can just go after the shipping company for the loss.

Sounds like that isn't paint on the calipers... sounds more like powder coating to me.

Back