R1 Forks

Well there's not much on EBay atm and no-one has anything on the R1 forum.
Anyone know where else to get some forks?

I bought my fork from a local sbk team..is difficult that you find a 06 unity today but a 08 is possible and probably completely new with 0km!
Ask to a yamaha dealer(the biggers are usually involved in race)the list of Usa team riding on yamaha..Maybe the
dealer can have a fork from an owner that have change for an ohlins set..

Do forks have a shelf life? How many miles is too many miles? Just curious.

dependently from type of use,around 7mil/10mil km(4.3mil/6.2mil miles)suspensions need to be regenerates:inside,fluid and gas at the beginning separate,mash together making scum..at this point the suspension's performances are reduced because the hydraulich sections can't work well.The mechanic open the fork and put new fluid. If you want customize the fork,this is the right moment to do all in a single time.The fz1 rear shock is a cheaper stuff that can't be open,so an old unity need to be change.

As long as there is no corrosion on the tubes I wouldn't worry too much about forks that were sitting around on a shelf. If forks have over 10k miles it would be a good idea to put in fresh oil and possibly replace the seals before installing them. The parts are relatively cheap and it's not that difficult to do.

You can always rebuild them. Seals and guides are inexpensive. There are a few tools you need also. The tool kit is about $90.00 USD from an Ebay supplier. Seals and guides are $50.00 to $75.00 USD for nice Race Tech stuff.

So I bought a set of 2007/2008 R1 Gold forks.
They will make my bike a one of a kind as it comes stock with black forks.
I dunno, I like gold forks, must be a carry over from my GSX-R days :)
They look to be in awesome condition and have around 5000 miles on them.
I have also ordered some 07/08 Rotors, a 07/08 axle, a 2007 R6 Radial master cylinder, and Yamaha reservoir sock lol
I still need to order a set of those sexy 6 piston calipers but they are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap.
Once I get the forks I will take them to my suspension guy here in Sydney for a freshen up and then I will fit it all.
I can't wait, woo hoo...

I have also ordered some 07/08 Rotors, a 07/08 axle, a 2007 R6 Radial master cylinder, and Yamaha reservoir sock lol
I still need to order a set of those sexy 6 piston calipers but they are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap.
Once I get the forks I will take them to my suspension guy here in Sydney for a freshen up and then I will fit it all.
I can't wait, woo hoo...

Hey that's great news! I know how hard you ride, you're going to love these!

I can't wait, woo hoo...

Sounds like a nice score! I'm sure you'll be happy with the end results. All this talk about R1 forks has me wanting to do the conversion as well, but a new rear shock is in order first. However, I need to find a used one. I want one with a remote preload adjuster and a new Ohlins is $$$.

Hey that's great news! I know how hard you ride, you're going to love these!

Not as hard as I used to mate but I still like to have a go every now and then.
I can't wait to get the sportsbike feel back again in my suspension.
I'm keen to get the bike to the track in a month or two once the weather warms up a bit here. It will be fun passing sportsbikes with a naked at the track :)
I'll post some pics of the gear in this thread as it turns up.

Sounds like a nice score! I'm sure you'll be happy with the end results. All this talk about R1 forks has me wanting to do the conversion as well, but a new rear shock is in order first. However, I need to find a used one. I want one with a remote preload adjuster and a new Ohlins is $$$.

You were right mate, it didn't take too long to find a nice set.:tup:

You fellas can get some good stuff pretty cheap over there.

If you are interested a fella on the R1 forum told me he had a clean black set of forks with the whole front end, MC, Rotors, axle, controls etc for $550 + shipping.
I had already bought my forks so I missed out on that one.

If you are interested a fella on the R1 forum told me he had a clean black set of forks with the whole front end, MC, Rotors, axle, controls etc for $550 + shipping.
I had already bought my forks so I missed out on that one.

It will probably be a future project, but for now I need to do something about the rear shock first, especially when someone rides pillion. Man that factory shock is just useless!!!

It will probably be a future project, but for now I need to do something about the rear shock first, especially when someone rides pillion. Man that factory shock is just useless!!!

Good idea on ditching the stock shock first. It is a pretty nasty piece of gear.
Any aftermarket shock will be a huge improvement.

I'm with you Tony. My next purchase *must* be a rear shock. We can mitigate the front a little bit with a $100 set of Racetech springs and slightly heavier oil... a small compromise... but the rear cannot be saved and has to go.

Wish I could pick up that R1 forum guy's front though.... :( Not in the plan for this year though....

Good idea on ditching the stock shock first. It is a pretty nasty piece of gear.
Any aftermarket shock will be a huge improvement.

I'm with you Tony. My next purchase *must* be a rear shock. We can mitigate the front a little bit with a $100 set of Racetech springs and slightly heavier oil... a small compromise... but the rear cannot be saved and has to go.

Wish I could pick up that R1 forum guy's front though.... :( Not in the plan for this year though....

Yea, rear shock is top priority (and probably new tires as well). I came across this on the other forum:

R1 shock + Satans adapter - FZ1OA Message Board

However, while it may be better than the stock FZ1 shock I want something better if I'm going to do the job. Ideally I would like an Ohlins with the remote hydraulic preload adjuster. This will make it easy to adjust when I load up the saddle bags and/or carry a passenger. Now I just need to find a used one...lol.

I have the forks, they will be getting a service on Monday next week.
I'm going to change the oil and replace the oil seal and dust covers.

I also have the rotors but my M/C and calipers have yet to turn up.

I'm a little worried about the M/C as it's way over due but hopefully it will turn up soon.

Pics to come soon.

Don't worry to much Ballmead, USPS have been running 20-30 days to Aust for the last couple of months. They still tell you 7-10 though !! Cant wait to see the upgrade.

I just scored a set of 06 R1 50th anniversary gold forks with calipers on EBay. I plan to get a Penske shock from Traxxion in October...

Can't wait to feel the difference. I've tried playing with the settings but I think I've reached the limit with my 215lb a$$...

Back