R1 Forks

Check to see if your shipping charges included insurance because if it did, you can just go after the shipping company for the loss.

Sounds like that isn't paint on the calipers... sounds more like powder coating to me.

If it is paint I bet a good soak in brake fluid would remove it, maybe?

Sorry to hear about the condition of your forks, I know you were really looking forward to the project.

Last edited:
You know I think I just might contact the seller now. I'm just worried I'll send the forks back and then I won't get a refund. Then I'd be out the forks and the $$$$. The seller does offer a 3 day return policy so I need to send them no later than tomorrow.

I have 435 positive feedback on Ebay and have never had one issue until now. The funny thing is I specifically asked the seller to make sure they were securely packaged and they assured me they would be...

I'm thinking my R1 fork upgrade may unfortunately be delayed for a while...:rant:

It is entirely possible that the shipper caused the damage too. If you specifically asked him the package them up good I doubt that he wouldn't. What was his feedback score by the way? If your not satisfied with the item just send them back. Especially if you have that 3 Day return policy. Contact the seller right away to let him know of your intentions. Also, document everything!!

Its hard to tell from my point of view but most of the scratch should be covered by your upper triple clamp and the res just face inside the fairing. I do think you should try to work something out with the seller. If he has perfect feedback I'm sure he wants to keep it that way.

R1 Forks II

Ok so I ripped out the forks and took them to another suspension mob, Teknik Racing in Penrith and they put in the correct weight oil Maxima Racing 5W fork oil.

My original suspension guy lost my confidence after he stated that Yamaha has been using 10W oil in their cartidge forks since 1998 (yeah right)

A tip for young players:
DO NOT put 10W fork oil in Yamaha cartridge forks, they will be way too hard and the damping is next to useless as I recently found out.

The Yamaha recommended oil is Yamaha 01 oil which is pretty much a 5W oil.
Click this link for some fork oil education, pay particular attention to the chart at the bottom of the page: Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

The forks feel much more like they should, not too hard, not too soft.
I can't wait to test ride the bike again this weekend after I fit the R6 Master Cylinder too.

It took about 1.5hrs to refit the shocks in my carport, here are some pics:

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

Voila, all done!!

DSC00584-1.jpg

Last edited:
@Ballmead - he really said 10w, eh? WOW!!! Yes, I'd ditch that guy too!

With the R1 forks, you are correct... 5w is all that is needed as these are valved for that viscosity.

With the stock forks, a lot of people are stepping up just a little. It's the 5w/7.5w blend. 50% of each to increase the viscosity to 6.25w which makes the stock forks respond just that much better. It's the absolute cheapest way to give the front a bit more stability on a stock setup. I'm going to do this when I park the bike for the winter. I have to tear down the entire front anyway.

If I can ever get an R1 fork setup, I'll only put 5w in. :tup: Good info and thanks!!

My wife and I went for a short ride last night. This was my first time two up with the new forks and brake. I really liked the set up. The suspension's much more comfortable and the control/feel of the brakes is much better. This weekend I'll set the sag and damping.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Looks great! Once you get the new M/C in the brakes will be much, much better.

You are not wrong, wow!

I fit the R6 Master Cylinder today and bugger me, the brakes are awesome.

I'm running the stock brake pads and the power of these brakes is amazing.

6 pot 2007/2008 R1 brakes are the bomb.

If you have already done the R1 fork mod and are using the stock Master Cylinder, you really have to buy a R6/R1 radial Master Cylinder.

It's so much better it's not funny.

I bought a bracket from EBay for the brakes reservoir and it was a great buy for $7. Here are some pics:

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

Good to hear. I also like the way that bracket works. Looks very simple and light, but certainly does the job. Now you just need to replace that lever and you'll be all set ;)

Good to hear. I also like the way that bracket works. Looks very simple and light, but certainly does the job. Now you just need to replace that lever and you'll be all set ;)

If it were up to me I would have it already but the handbrake is getting upset at the money I have been spending on the bike lately lol

Bleed my new brakelines today and was exited to take the first trip with the bike since i mounted r1 fork and Nitron shock..
I came ca 1000m then the breaks build up pressure and locked the front wheel..
Will fix it tomorrow, its something with the mc.
My r1 mc did miss a steel rod (the rod that goes in to the mc when you operate the breakhandle).
I took the one i had in my fz1 mc, dont know if the length are the same.
Is there someone that knows??
Sorry, my english isent the best...
A pair of better pics than the last ones..

Bleed my new brakelines today and was exited to take the first trip with the bike since i mounted r1 fork and Nitron shock..
My r1 mc did miss a steel rod (the rod that goes in to the mc when you operate the breakhandle).

Beautiful looking bike. Given what you just described I wouldn't ride the bike again until you get the correct rod for the R1 mc. It sure sounds like too much pressure is being put on the brakes now and having your front wheel lock up when you least expect it wont lead to anything good...better to be safe than sorry.

Looking good Soze, you better get that brake problem fixed though, it doesn't sound good.
You will love the Nitron, it is very easy to set. Start with 10 clicks out from full in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response NJFZ1 and ballmead!
Going back to work tomorrow and will be away for two weeks, so i think i will park my bike for this year.
Have to wait until april for the next ride!! sad...
You have better seasons for bikes, yes?

Thanks for the response NJFZ1 and ballmead!
Going back to work tomorrow and will be away for two weeks, so i think i will park my bike for this year.
Have to wait until april for the next ride!! sad...
You have better seasons for bikes, yes?

You should move to Sydney mate, year round riding over here :)
I don't know how you can handle it, not being able to ride for more than 6 months.

Year round in Yeas too.

I worked on dialing in the fork yesterday and made some progress.

I'm 170 lbs. Set reload to 5 lines, and both comp and rebound 10 clicks on from full out. They were at about 18 clicks. I've not set sag yet but I feel like I'm making progress.

I out in 400 miles yesterday and the brakes are simply killer and the front end tracks very nicely.

And a very nice a Bandera County Constable gave me a pretty green piece of paper to take home... He was cool as he hit me at 98 and locked at 88 in a 65. As he put it, "Remember, 24 over and they can take you to the poke." Yes, Sir. Thanks for the reminder.

Year round in Yeas too.

I worked on dialing in the fork yesterday and made some progress.

I'm 170 lbs. Set reload to 5 lines, and both comp and rebound 10 clicks on from full out. They were at about 18 clicks. I've not set sag yet but I feel like I'm making progress.

I out in 400 miles yesterday and the brakes are simply killer and the front end tracks very nicely.

And a very nice a Bandera County Constable gave me a pretty green piece of paper to take home... He was cool as he hit me at 98 and locked at 88 in a 65. As he put it, "Remember, 24 over and they can take you to the poke." Yes, Sir. Thanks for the reminder.

Sweet, I haven't had a chance to test the, now 5W filled, forks out on a proper ride yet.
Hopefully during the week I will get a chance.

Sux about the ticket though :(

Much better...

I just installed my GPR damper to help keep things in shape with the lower front end. I also dropped the forks about 6mm to get a feel for the quicker turn in until I get the forks installed...

I'm keeping the forks I got on Ebay and the seller agreed to a partial refund...

That's not too bad an outcome then.
The damper looks cool, I may end up buying one of those one of these days.

Back