Michelin Pilot Road 3

Not really the option I want to exercise...I don't ride that much so it would probably be another 3-4 years before I went with a set of PR3s if I pass on them this year. My bike only has 8500 miles right now...bought it in '09 with 3500 miles so did 5k the last two years...see my point ;)
Wow, I don't know if I'd even go with Pilot Roads in that situation. I'd get something much stickier so it'd be sweet when I took it out.

Pilot Roads are more designed for riders like myself. I hit the twisties when I can, but that's rare. I started tracking my mileage on fuelly.com in February and I've logged just over 3000 miles so far this year. It's gone up with the new job I started at the end of March upping my commute to 60 miles round trip. For me the Pilot Roads are the best tire out there because they'll hold up to the daily slab and still give me what I need in the twisties. If I had a bike that was just for fun, I'd definitely give it something more aggressive in the tire area.

Wow, I don't know if I'd even go with Pilot Roads in that situation. I'd get something much stickier so it'd be sweet when I took it out.

Pilot Roads are more designed for riders like myself. I hit the twisties when I can, but that's rare. I started tracking my mileage on fuelly.com in February and I've logged just over 3000 miles so far this year. It's gone up with the new job I started at the end of March upping my commute to 60 miles round trip. For me the Pilot Roads are the best tire out there because they'll hold up to the daily slab and still give me what I need in the twisties. If I had a bike that was just for fun, I'd definitely give it something more aggressive in the tire area.

I hear you, but I already have a second bike that's more for "fun" and that one has Bridgestone BT-16s on it :)

The FZ1 is more set up for sport touring so if I got sticky tires for it I would end up wearing out the middle and they'd be a waste of money. I figured the PR3s would be the best compromise for me...plenty of thread life and yet sticky enough for when I want to hit the twisties...

:+1:
Motorcycle Superstore has PR2 rear @ $167 and PR3 rear @ $189. PR2 front @ $121 and PR3 front @ $137. (Funny, I purchased myPR3 months ago for $177 and $128 ?)

At Motorcycle Superstore a set of PR2 cost $288. PR3 $326. That's at 13% bump for the 3. When I consider the life of a tire, $38 for the set becomes pretty insignificant. Insignificant, that is, if I want the PR3 rather than the PR2.:2cents:
Yep I agree. Love the PR3's

I must be doing something wrong as I only got 8500 from my pr2 and I thought I was doing good. I just put a pr3 on the rear for $ 285 mounted... Hoping to get more mileage from it.

Anyone even started to wear through a tire yet?

I must be doing something wrong as I only got 8500 from my pr2 and I thought I was doing good. I just put a pr3 on the rear for $ 285 mounted... Hoping to get more mileage from it.

Anyone even started to wear through a tire yet?

I guess I've got around 2500 miles on my PR'3's and I tell ya, they still look new.
Love these tires and the bike just goes like on a rail. Good luck with yours also:)

I guess I've got around 2500 miles on my PR'3's and I tell ya, they still look new.
Love these tires and the bike just goes like on a rail. Good luck with yours also:)

Good to hear that. I have not been riding much this year so have been hesitant to replace my tires if the bike is just going to sit around.

Mounted a pair of PR3s just a week or so back. 190/55 rears. So far so good. Feels more planted than the PR2s that I swapped out. Almost into PP 2CT territory. Pegs can be grounded without worry or drama.

Today I replaced the Q2's that had just corded in rear after 2,200 miles. I loved the tire performance despite the longevity, but was curious about switching.

I had PR3's put on front & back. 100 miles scrubbed in today. So far so good. Going to do some hill country tomorrow and see how they do. Gotta love vacation!

A+ on the PR3 after 475 miles! I just may like the performance on twisties better than that of the Q2 :+1:

Outstanding. No slipping. (including on 337 in Texas)

Last edited:
A+ on the PR3 after 475 miles! I just may like the performance on twisties better than that of the Q2 :+1:

Outstanding. No slipping. (including on 337 in Texas)

That is because they are new. Wait till they hit 3-4k miles or the middle of their life. Since they are mostly beefed up PR2s they will stop giving any kind of feedback and will slip without warning. Ofcourse I am talking about hard twisty riding not commuting/sport touring.

That is because they are new. Wait till they hit 3-4k miles or the middle of their life. Since they are mostly beefed up PR2s they will stop giving any kind of feedback and will slip without warning. Ofcourse I am talking about hard twisty riding not commuting/sport touring.

Your PR3's slip?? Are you saying you don't like them?

I like the BT16's over the Q2's on the street because they reach their operating temp sooner. I think it falls true for the PR3's even more. A lot of people forget that tire such as Q2's and BT16's are aimed at aggresive riding where the tire maintains higher temps VS something like a PR3 that is designed to operate at real world temps and conditions.

I have the PR2s and PR3s are PR2s with better wet grip. I loved the PR2 till they hit 1/2 of their life. I can't wait to get rid of them and spoon on the Q2s lying in my garage.

Ok. It was my understanding that the PR3 are more than that......more than just a PR2-wetty? Maybe you are underestimating the PR3 without benefit of riding it? Wouldn't Michelin have made an improved tire?

I loved the Q2, which didn't last me long. But that was how the tire was intended I am finding out.

Well, so far these PR3 are performing great.

Last edited:
Im sure they are good tyres , my bike had a new set of PR 2's on it when I bought it , so ive been using them up , they work fine.

The key to any tyre is really simple.

Use it or lose it regardless of what it is.

Regular daily riding creates a regular heat cycle , and the thing will last heaps longer without losing any grip to a point far greater than say , the latest supersport tyre that only does a few thousand k'ms a year and spends most time stilling on the bike going cold and hard more than round and round.

If you have the right tyre pressures and you suspensions settings are good ,
you would be surprised how good modern sport touring tyres are. go as hard as you like , without chewing the things to a crisp .

Thanks everyone for the reports on the Michelin Pilot Road 3's. I will be putting new tires on the bike this spring and the PR3 are what is going on the bike. Thanks again for your input:sport12:

With just over 30k miles on my '08, I've been through one set of original Pilot Roads, two sets of PR2's and I just recently mounted the PR3's. I've got less than 300 miles on them but the performance is better than the PR2's in every aspect.

To me, all new tires feel good, but these things make me feel like I'm riding on rails. $308 delivered wasn't too bad either.

Back