Michelin Pilot Road 3

NJFZ1

Anybody have any info on these yet? Not even sure if they are available yet, but look intereting. I will be in need of new tires this riding season and I'm thinking about these since the Pilot Road's 2CTare a good tire from everything I've read and feedback I've received from others. One thing is that they are not cheap, but then again tires are not an area I like to skimp on...lol

Competition Accessories has free shipping on them now to boot.

$312.97 shipped for a replacement set. That isn't bad! I've not heard one way or the other regarding these tires but I think it is time to investigate. I was looking to get a set of the PR2s anyway and if these are better in some fashion, then it might be worth the extra $50. Thanks Tony!!

Found this right away. Touts superior wet traction and extended wear (in the center):

Michelin Introduces Pilot Road 3 Tires - Street Tires Peek - Motorcycle USA

122_1101_03_o+michelin_pilot_road_3_fitment+.jpg

I went with the Bridgestone 023's this time around. I had them shipped for $221.00 for the set through Jake Wilson. The 016's were great but I needed something with a harder center for all the commuting I do. The rear is still a triple compound. I'll have a write-up this Spring once I've put some miles on them. I also opted for the Dyna Bead Set for another 12 or so dollars.

RevZilla has a video up about them...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8XkFhSRX0]YouTube - Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires Review at RevZilla.com[/ame]

They seem like an improvement over the Pilot Road 2 in every way so I can see these being my next set of tires ;) My bike is still riding on the original Pilot Roads from 2006 so I don't exactly trust them 100% anymore in the twisties. However, they aren't showing any signs of dry rotting since the bike has always been stored out of the sun when not ridding.

I will strongly consider the PR3's as well. The PR2's that I put on last year have been amazing tires. I had been using Pirelli's on my bikes until then. Took a ride from Seattle to the Grand Canyon, lots of spirited street riding and the wear, and the profile of the wear (no flat middle) have been outstanding.

They seem like an improvement over the Pilot Road 2 in every way so I can see these being my next set of tires ;) My bike is still riding on the original Pilot Roads from 2006 so I don't exactly trust them 100% anymore in the twisties. However, they aren't showing any signs of dry rotting since the bike has always been stored out of the sun when not ridding.

tires from 2006? holy shit lol I only last 1 year tops with my tires, and thats when im in touring mode :sinister:

I hate the look, the pr2 performed good enough, if I'd switch tire I'd go pilot power.

I've got 11k on the original Dunlops. I hate the tires but I'm too cheap to swap them out until they are worn out. When I do, the PR3 set will be the first choice now. :tup: I like the Powers but you don't get a lot of miles out of them.

Still on stock PRs for 5-6 years ... blasphemy ...

I've got 11k on the original Dunlops. I hate the tires but I'm too cheap to swap them out until they are worn out. When I do, the PR3 set will be the first choice now. :tup: I like the Powers but you don't get a lot of miles out of them.

Tires and suspension is something I will never skimp on. Cosmetics, etc are last.

I have 8,000mi on my originals. The rear is starting to flatten in the middle. I use the bike for commuting mostly. I had Michelins RP2 on my last bike and they lasted about 6,000. I replaced them with Bridgestone 016's and those only lasted 5,000. I'm thinking of going back to the original Dunlops on the FZ1 if I can find a good deal. The rear tire is the more expensive one because it is a odd size. 190/50ZR17. If it was a 180 it woud be $30-$50 less. :shaking head:

Better than the PR2's? Man I put in some work when I had them on my previous bike, they were awesome, they were more predictable than the PP's I had before. I absolutely can't wait to replace the stock Dunlops that came on the bike, they have got to be the worst tires I've ever had. I will say I'm not crazy about the look of the 3's, not yet anyways. Performance is what really counts though, got to keep that in mind.

I went with the Bridgestone 023's this time around. I had them shipped for $221.00 for the set through Jake Wilson. The 016's were great but I needed something with a harder center for all the commuting I do. The rear is still a triple compound. I'll have a write-up this Spring once I've put some miles on them. I also opted for the Dyna Bead Set for another 12 or so dollars.

Did you mount those 023's yourself, or did you take them to a shop?

I also started on the Dunlop D221's, and didn't realize just how bad they were until I put a Pilot Power on the front. Huge gain in confidence, but they don't last long.

Since then I've been on PP2's and they haven't let me down. Extremely good wear characteristics, and stick to the road very well. Not the confidence builder the Powers were, but a great all round street tire. I expect the PP3 will also do well for us. I'd try them.

-R

Did you mount those 023's yourself, or did you take them to a shop?

I actually take the wheels off the bike and drive them over in the car to a local shop. They only charge me $60.00 dollars for the pair mounted and balanced. Here in NY you can't really beat that price other than doing it yourself. One day I hope to get a changer to do it myself but for now it's not in the budget.

I actually take the wheels off the bike and drive them over in the car to a local shop. They only charge me $60.00 dollars for the pair mounted and balanced. Here in NY you can't really beat that price other than doing it yourself. One day I hope to get a changer to do it myself but for now it's not in the budget.

I have never used the Dyna Beads before. If you have them mounted and balanced at a shop why get the beads?

Send them here and ride the bike up. The Busted Knuckle Garage can now change them! Free room and board along with grilled animal flesh! :tup:

I'm on my 2nd set of PP 2ct and will be changing tires in a few months for a 4000+ mile road trip. I've got no complaints w/the PP 2ct's and the rear went close to 5000 before I swaped it out for another one. PR 3 look good, as some of the roads I'll be on will be at high altitude, w/a REAL chance of thunder storms. Any of you guys have a comment regarding the PP 2ct vs the PR 2ct on 'edge' grip?

Still on stock PRs for 5-6 years ... blasphemy ...

Well I bought the bike used in '09 with only 3500 miles and now it has only 8600 miles. For the type of riding that I do with it the Pilot Road's were ok. However, now that they are 5 years old I think it's type for a change ;)

For the twisties I have my '97 YZF1000 with ugraded suspension and BT-016's.

Back