Michelin Pilot Road 3

With just over 30k miles on my '08, I've been through one set of original Pilot Roads, two sets of PR2's and I just recently mounted the PR3's. I've got less than 300 miles on them but the performance is better than the PR2's in every aspect.

To me, all new tires feel good, but these things make me feel like I'm riding on rails. $308 delivered wasn't too bad either.

Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get them for that price? I may just pull the trigger on a set in the next couple of months :)

Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Decided to go with the Michelin PR 3 tires so had a pair installed on Saturday on my 2008 FZ1. I was very impressed with the fact that the front tire, a 120/70 x17 required ZERO weight and the rear tire a 190/50 x17 only 1/4 oz. to both balance perfectly. I believe this is indicative of a quality made tire..ie the fact they require little or no weight to balance. Going through the break-in period so far so good..they handle great. Will advise on the wear and handling after a few thousand miles.

So, I decided to change my rear tire after 5700 miles. The front is still is great shape--it could last as long as the new rear, or longer. And the PR3 is a great tire for my use. I scrubbed the new one in and did Pyro's Texas twisted tour in the Hill Country this past weekend. The tire did everything I asked of it, even in the rain on Sunday. Excellent. :)

So, I decided to change my rear tire after 5700 miles. The front is still is great shape--it could last as long as the new rear, or longer. And the PR3 is a great tire for my use. I scrubbed the new one in and did Pyro's Texas twisted tour in the Hill Country this past weekend. The tire did everything I asked of it, even in the rain on Sunday. Excellent. :)

That's good to know. I have about 1000 miles on my PR3's. If I can get 5-6k on a rear and 10-12k on the front, I'll be very happy. If I could keep my wrist in check, I might get more from the rear, but I didn't buy a cruiser for a reason ;)

Just ordered a set of PR3's, as my PR2's are close to being worn out. The PR2's are the best tires I've ever had on my FZ, so why not the PR3's!

Hey FZ1yb,
Just curious, Was the rear down to the wear markers, What prompted the tire change?
Phil

Hey FZ1yb,
Just curious, Was the rear down to the wear markers, What prompted the tire change?
Phil

Just down in the middle to the wear indicators, just past them enough. It wasn't showing cord or anything. Still some meat on the edges. I was going riding out of town with anticipated wet weather, so didn't want to have to worry about changing it away from home, if it worsened. Just one of those things......I try to use judgement on if something will be in the back of my mind that could be a potential problem, I want to prevent it by going ahead and making the change in advance. Prevention.

Just down in the middle to the wear indicators, just past them enough. It wasn't showing cord or anything. Still some meat on the edges. I was going riding out of town with anticipated wet weather, so didn't want to have to worry about changing it away from home, if it worsened. Just one of those things......I try to use judgement on if something will be in the back of my mind that could be a potential problem, I want to prevent it by going ahead and making the change in advance. Prevention.

I'll always change a tire early rather than risk a "bad tire experience". When you add it all up, I doubt it costs that much and I know it's less than an 'off' would be. Tread wear marks are there to let you know it's burn out time :retard: (No, I didn't really, but I almost wish I had :nono:)

I've got the Pilot road 3, so far 200k on them, very impressed, they cost me 478 ,(400 tires 78 install) ( we get bent over in canada for tires). I guess the from what I read 13,400 kms on the original Dunlops I cannot complain, (I probably could of gotten 2000 more kms on the front).

Back