Michelin Pilot Road 3

I've heard good things about the 023's. I have no complaints with the PR3's, but I might try the 023's if I find them significantly cheaper.

Just put a set on my bike. 240 shipped and got a free bike cover. Put them on myself, well made tire. The front took no weight and the rear took 1/4 ounce to balance. Bike rides smooth as butter. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

$240 for a set? Where? I should order a spare rear at that price

Ordered them from bike bandit, had them price match another site so I could get the free $40 bike cover. The other site may have been rocky mountain atv, don't hold me to it. Can look back through my emails when I get home. The rear was 20 cheaper than bike bandit usually sales for.

Yep, bt023 at rockymountainatv.com. Still 134.99 for the rear and 105.99 for the front. Bike bandit price matched in a day, doubt they updated their prices. The promo code for the free cover on orders over 149 is in my good deals thread in the bar.

I thought about the pr3's. But the water sipes cut in the tread look like crap to me and I try to avoid rain. If I went with michelin I would prolly go with pr2's. More expensive but I like the pilot power 3's. Just waiting to see what kinda mileage people get out of them. Heard 10,000 wasn't out of the question with them.

7500 miles and keeping an eye on the rear. Thought I'd share some photos. High res

Note the wear indicator and also the cupping on the soft compound portion of the tire. I run stock pressures which are fairly high.

ELNCTLK.jpg

s8T6NyC.jpg

Last edited:
Being two weeks away from my big trip down in the US, I'm having my new PR3 rear mounted tomorrow. The set has 8000 miles on it now and I'm just starting to see some defined wear on the front tire along the sides. The centre of the tire appears to have a defined 'hump' and I'm now getting some accelerated wear on the sides. Both the front & the rear have been scalloping/feathering over the last few thousand miles.

I'm really, really pleased with the PR3 but I might give the new Pilot Power 3 a try next. Michelin's wet weather & tire life claims are pretty substantial over the PP2 and I'd like to try them and see for myself. I really liked my PP1s but they were just not suitable for my winter riding.

Last edited:
Being two weeks away from my big trip down in the US, I'm having my new PR3 rear mounted tomorrow. The set has 8000 miles on it now and I'm just starting to see some defined wear on the front tire along the sides. The centre of the tire appears to have a defined 'hump' and I'm now getting some accelerated wear on the sides. Both the front & the rear have been scalloping/feathering over the last few thousand miles.

I'm really, really pleased with the PR3 but I might give the new Pilot Power 3 a try next. Michelin's wet weather & tire life claims are pretty substantial over the PP2 and I'd like to try them and see for myself. I really liked my PP1s but they were just not suitable for my winter riding.

I'm thinking of trying the PP3 next time also (I have PR3's now with about 6000 miles on them - Rear is showing some flattening but front looks good) I haven't experienced the scalloping you describe, but I'm about 2000 miles behind you in mileage.

The Pilot Power 3 is described as a replacement for the Pilot Power Pure, not the Pilot Power 2CT. An 85% road, 15% track time tire.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfrwJxckAg]Michelin Pilot Power 3 Tires Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

After 1500 miles with the PP3's I've started to see a bit of flattening. One note, I rode them at 35psi cold (stupid cold/wet weather)for a good 800+ miles. I assume that is the reason for my early wear. They are fantastic on the street though. Wet, cold, hot, whatever I have thrown at them they just keep hold. I doubt I will get anywhere near 12k, but 7-8k should be achievable. I would highly recommend to anyone who is a more of a "spirited" rider. Have fun though, if you ever come by Chicago or Indy let me know maybe we can ride for a leg of your journey. :tup:

20130526_231533_zps3c35240d.jpg

Last edited:
I was actually going to check into the PR3's for my next tire. I'm showing some wear on my Pilot Power 3's after 1500 miles. I'm hoping to get 6,000-8,000 miles out of them. I've had them fully inflated to 36 in front and 42 in the rear.

Performance of the Pilot Power 3 I have absolutely loved so far, so much more confidence inspiring and sticky compared to the Pilot Road 2's I was coming off. I had my first complaint about the performance yesterday though. I was coming back home and started to get some weird squirrely traction stuff going on. I pulled over and had like 3 rocks stuck in the tread. I had to work a little to get them out and was fine afterward but the siping seemed to eat up these approximately 1-2cm rocks (or just a little bigger than the sipe).

Last edited:
I think I'll need a new rear before the end of this season. I wonder if I should push it and get the new one at the beginning of next season so the new tire doesn't sit on the bike in the garage for months. I guess I'll just see how the the wear looks from 6000-8000 miles. :dontknow:

I am noticing some definite 'cupping' on the rear (if I'm using that term correctly). The back of the tread groves are taller than the front of the tread groves, especially on the middle sides. I'll try to throw up some pictures in the next few days.

Back