Michelin Pilot Road 3

I have these on my big bike 750 lbs and the center patch(harder compound) is wearing way less than the sides so its developing a bigger ridge in the middle which is reversed from normal I guess ill have to do some burnouts to even it out:flash:but other than that they are the best tires ive had on it soft ride sticky and great in rain second best were metzler

Since I'm such a fattie, I run max pressure in rear (I forget, 42psi?) and I have max pressure in the front, but I'm going to lower that a bit. I'm thinking from 42 to 38. As I've said before, I'm on flat, straight, IL roads. I might as well get better tire life.

I'm thinking of going with another PR3 rear in 190/55 to pair up and finish off my PR3 front. Then I'll try a set of PP3's, Q3's or Battlax S20. Not sure which way to go, but I'm been happy with Michelin, so I'm leaning toward the PP3's. I'll check reviews next year. My PR3's should last until then if I get a new rear.

Ok, I took some photos. I hope they are useful in some way

The front tire has 20,000 km / 13,000 miles. The rear tire has 8000 km / 5000 miles. I run stock pressures (36/42).

What kind of tire pressures do you run? That seems to be a big contributing factor

I run 42 psi max on the rear, dropping only 1-2 psi at the most. It seems to be about the best pressure on this bike, and I run the same on my current contimotion which is wearing a little bit better.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!

Originally Posted by CrazyBiker
Mindboggling! They look NEW. How do you extract so many miles out of these tires?
I don't really know.

Do you consider yourself to be a "smooth" rider?

Maybe I'm the Tire Whisperer

Hey, Thats my title...

Seriously, these tires are awesome. I had 17K on my 1st set of PR2's. Im at 13K on my 2nd set and they look just like yours Dustin.

Last edited:
Do you consider yourself to be a "smooth" rider?

I am a smooth rider which does help tire life for sure. Or at least I try to be

To me, this mileage is what I would expect to see out of a sport-tourer. Any less would be absurd. What I find mind-boggling is the people who only get 'a few thousand' from them. That I don't get

Last edited:
So I had a closer look at my front tire and it turns out that there are sections that are actually nearly down to the wear bar. I'm just going to have the pair changed soon regardless of what the rear has left

Last edited:
Here's my Pilot Road 3 with 15,000 miles on it. It's wearing evenly and still has some life in it (I put it on in June of 2012). My current dilemma is that I have my first-ever track day scheduled at Mid-Ohio on July 15th and I'm debating whether to replace it before then or not. Minimally, I'll have a new tire with me. Anyone know if tracks (specifically Mid-Ohio) have someone to change tires on-site?

Note: Normally I reduce the resolution of pics that I post on this forum. I left this one at its native resolution so you can see a few more details of the tread.

Replace it! You always want new or near new tires when riding on the track as you are going to push them much more than on the street.
Many tracks have a pre ride inspection and want to see new tires on the bike and won't allow well used tires on the track for safety reasons.

Here's my Pilot Road 3 with 15,000 miles on it. It's wearing evenly and still has some life in it (I put it on in June of 2012). My current dilemma is that I have my first-ever track day scheduled at Mid-Ohio on July 15th and I'm debating whether to replace it before then or not. Minimally, I'll have a new tire with me. Anyone know if tracks (specifically Mid-Ohio) have someone to change tires on-site?

Note: Normally I reduce the resolution of pics that I post on this forum. I left this one at its native resolution so you can see a few more details of the tread.

The track days here will not let you get on the track unless you have at least 75% tire life left (how they measure I dunno).

Just asked the local shop to order me one. I'll hang on to the old one as a "just in case" backup.

There's a lot to be said for establishing and maintaining a relationship with the local bike shop. He was able to match the online price I'd seen (without me asking).

PR'3 are good set of tires, more road feel. So much that I had to readjust the suspension to relax the bike's ride. More confidence in the turns now, especially from the front tire. They hold the line well in turns with or without roads smoothness. I have only 700 miles on them this time, no answer to the mileage I will get on the rear PR3"s tire. The stock rear lasted 5000 miles, and the stock front tire was good for more miles, but felt like it was sliding around in the turns so I replaced them both. Pr3 work well in the rain also.

Safe riding. Jay

Back