Michelin Pilot Road 3

So would you guys go ahead and replace tires if the bike is an 07 with a built date of 10/06? Tires have 11,800 on them, originals? I was going to get new one in two weks so i guess I can wait. Gotta wait for that other paycheck.

So would you guys go ahead and replace tires if the bike is an 07 with a built date of 10/06? Tires have 11,800 on them, originals? I was going to get new one in two weks so i guess I can wait. Gotta wait for that other paycheck.

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of the stock tires. Since you said the middle is kind of worn compared to the sides and given their age I would go ahead and replace them. I only have like 86xx miles on my '06, but I still have the original Michelin PR tires on there. There's plenty of thread left (at least 50%), but given the fact that they are now 5 years old I'm thinking of replacing them soon also.

I just got a quote yesterday in Australia on the Pilot Road 3's, loved my PR 2's on my Z1000 but have hated the original PR's on my FZ1, can't wait to get rid of them. The mileage was excellent on the PR2's, they turned into corners better than the original Bridgestone BT014 tyres and gave me great confidence in the wet. I have no confidence with my current PR's and this was confirmed to me when I read a comprehensive test that pitted the 2 tyres (PR vs PR2) against each other in controlled conditions, when the PR2's were launched. Apparently the journalists were dropping the PR shod bikes consistently with only 1 incident on the PR2's.

You certainly are lucky in the US, the Aus $ is stronger than the US (1:1.07 today) but the best quote I have got is $560 fitted and another $70 for RH valves.

I purchased my PR3's for $310 US / no shipping. Scrub in took some miles, but once scrubbed in, I've never felt more secure leaning a bike. I used to have PR2's and find these superior. In the wet they are absolutely confidence inspiring. I know one reviewer-and I mean just one-said because of all the sipping they were somewhat squirly in turns. I noticed that pre-200mi, but after that, they really settled in and they are rock solid in turns with great feedback. :sport12:

I purchased my PR3's for $310 US / no shipping. Scrub in took some miles, but once scrubbed in, I've never felt more secure leaning a bike. I used to have PR2's and find these superior. In the wet they are absolutely confidence inspiring. I know one reviewer-and I mean just one-said because of all the sipping they were somewhat squirly in turns. I noticed that pre-200mi, but after that, they really settled in and they are rock solid in turns with great feedback. :sport12:

Good to hear. I think I'm going to replace my original Pilot Roads in a few weeks when I get back from my trip to Lake George, NY. They have plenty of thread left, but they are already five years old...

Good to hear. I think I'm going to replace my original Pilot Roads in a few weeks when I get back from my trip to Lake George, NY. They have plenty of thread left, but they are already five years old...

I think you'll be glad you did, regardless of the quality tire you choose. I wrote in another thread how surprised I was with the amount of ride comfort, turning ease and handling returned to my FZ1 after I put on new, supple tires. Only reason I went with PR3's was because I was so favorable impressed with PR2's. I just assumed the new version had to be as good or better. (Little bit of lazy thinking there) However, I read some positive reviews and ordered. No regrets at all.

I think you'll be glad you did, regardless of the quality tire you choose. I wrote in another thread how surprised I was with the amount of ride comfort, turning ease and handling returned to my FZ1 after I put on new, supple tires. Only reason I went with PR3's was because I was so favorable impressed with PR2's. I just assumed the new version had to be as good or better. (Little bit of lazy thinking there) However, I read some positive reviews and ordered. No regrets at all.

Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about the PR2s so I'm sure the PR3s will be just as good or even better. I also considered the Bridgestone BT-23s, but I think I'll stick with the PR3. Only downside is that since they are new there are no "sales" on them.

Give us your opinion once you put some mileage on them...
After right at 1000 miles on the PR3's....I simply love these tires. I'm not an expert by any means, but I find the bike almost turns its self...Not a knee dragger either, but my confidence level of this bike has simply grown leaps and bounds since the new tires. I should add that the bike has stock suspension, but has been dialed in proper by a great mechanic friend of mine, who really knows these bikes pretty well. He owns one also. What little rain riding I've done (less than 100 miles) I've found the tires to stick like they were on dry...
To me, worth the extra coin for the confidence and satisfaction...so far:)

different tire types.

Im most likely going with the PR3's.. Currently have the Q2's which are awsome!!! but have worn down really fast!!

Does anyone oppose to having different type tires on front and rear? my rear is wearing, but the front still looks good.. not sure if its a good idea to have different tire types on the bike or not.. most likely its a no brainer , should have have both PR3's on front and rear, but was just looking to postpone the front upgrade until its necessary , plus I wanted to keep the extra grip i get from the Q2's on the front if possible.

I was interested in a set of PR3's until I saw the price.

£280 including fitting! I'll be trying Maxxis tyres in future, they're only half the price and probably just as good.

I was interested in a set of PR3's until I saw the price.

£280 including fitting! I'll be trying Maxxis tyres in future, they're only half the price and probably just as good.

Yea, that's about $460 in Yank terms. A bit steep. Yet, in the States I still paid 240 GBP (or $392). That included absolutely everything and with out me lifting a finger-except to dial the phone to order the tyres.

Un-solicited advice: If in the end you'll pay say 15 GBP per wheel less for an inferior tyre (and I don't know that MAXXIM is inferior-they might be superior-that's not really the point), I'd spring for the extra 30 GBP. Why? Well when one is screaming through a turn, or on the straight, each tyre has a contact patch the size of a credit card. I want that patch to be top tyre technology, because it's the only thing between me and disaster. Again, there are a lot of good tyres out there, so this is not a plug for PR3 or a detraction for MAXXIM. :sport12:

Buy the tires online, then get a local car repair place to mount them to your wheels. Either buy a static wheel balancer or balance them on the axles. Either way, you save big $$$. The shop I use lets me do it myself, so $0 for installation, and the $150 balancer from nomar will pay for itself after 3 sets. I place shop rags folded over several times on the wheel clamps to prevent scratching. The mechanism used to break the bead sandwiches the wheel between a rubber pad and the bead breaker - which only comes in contact with the tire.

Use a floor jack under the header to gently lift the front end off the ground.

I should of started doing this long time ago... save big bucks.

Note: You will have to lift several fingers to get this sort of discount :)

Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about the PR2s so I'm sure the PR3s will be just as good or even better. I also considered the Bridgestone BT-23s, but I think I'll stick with the PR3. Only downside is that since they are new there are no "sales" on them.

Get PR2s instead at almost $100-150 cheaper and wait for the PR3s to go cheap on the next set. PR3s can't be 2x better than PR2s for sure.

I haven't shopped around but it's like a $31 difference on the rear tire and about $20 difference on the front tire between the PR2 and the PR3 at jakewilson.com.

Motorcycle Superstore has PR2 rear @ $167 and PR3 rear @ $189. PR2 front @ $121 and PR3 front @ $137. (Funny, I purchased myPR3 months ago for $177 and $128 ?)

At Motorcycle Superstore a set of PR2 cost $288. PR3 $326. That's at 13% bump for the 3. When I consider the life of a tire, $38 for the set becomes pretty insignificant. Insignificant, that is, if I want the PR3 rather than the PR2.:2cents:

Get PR2s instead at almost $100-150 cheaper and wait for the PR3s to go cheap on the next set. PR3s can't be 2x better than PR2s for sure.

Not really the option I want to exercise...I don't ride that much so it would probably be another 3-4 years before I went with a set of PR3s if I pass on them this year. My bike only has 8500 miles right now...bought it in '09 with 3500 miles so did 5k the last two years...see my point ;)

Back