Michelin Pilot Road 3

I mounted PR2 this time last year, the dealer had a stocking issue so I had to have the rear and front mounted at different times. I ended last season with 15k on the rear and 13k on the front. Only just now at the inner wear bar, I'll be switching to the PR3's this season, I'll follow up with first impressions for after the season starts up...its 16F and snow covered here right now:waiting:

How do you guys think these PR3's will compare to the Pilot Power 1's?

No sure what kind of a comparison you're looking for, but one's a sport touring tire and the other one a sport tire. In short Pilot Power will stick better at the expense of mileage and probably be overkill for the street unless you're a very aggressive rider.

Yeah that is basically what I was looking for.

I am going to get the Pilot Powers.

I had put 3500 miles on a set of them before getting rid of my Gen1 and did not see much wear. So, I think they will be fine for me. I would rather sacrifice mileage to have the extra grip.

:)

However, those PR3's look great!

Yeah that is basically what I was looking for.

I am going to get the Pilot Powers.

I had put 3500 miles on a set of them before getting rid of my Gen1 and did not see much wear. So, I think they will be fine for me. I would rather sacrifice mileage to have the extra grip.

:)

However, those PR3's look great!

Point I was trying to make is that unless you're going to be riding very aggressive then you really wont need the extra grip of the PP. I've seen some people ride plenty fast (on the street anyway) on the Pilot Road 2CT so I can only imagine that the PR3 will be even better and give you well over 10k miles of wear as well.

Point I was trying to make is that unless you're going to be riding very aggressive then you really wont need the extra grip of the PP. I've seen some people ride plenty fast (on the street anyway) on the Pilot Road 2CT so I can only imagine that the PR3 will be even better and give you well over 10k miles of wear as well.

Well then I suppose you are right. I am getting new tires in tue spring as my stock dunlops suck so these may be the way to go. Plus I have a lot of long trips planned and the added mileage would be a plus.

Well then I suppose you are right. I am getting new tires in tue spring as my stock dunlops suck so these may be the way to go. Plus I have a lot of long trips planned and the added mileage would be a plus.

Unless your just a "Michelin Man", if you can wait, I will give my findings on the Bridgestone 023's that I have coming tomorrow. They are supposed to replace the 021's which have great grip both dry and wet yet the 023's are supposed to give even higher mileage.

I don't plan on getting tires for at least 3 months on my bike as the D221's are basically brand new. However they suck, but I won't be riding too much until the temps start coming up.

So I will definitely hear back from you before I get me some new tires.

I just know that the Pilot Power 1's that I put on my Gen1 when I got it, kicked ass. They gripped amazing and didn't wear fast enough for me to care.

I put a set of PR2s on 15K miles ago. Got great mileage, excellent grip for my riding style, and very predictable feedback and slippage the few times they slid. The rear didn’t start squaring off until 13-14K miles, and the wear bars were showing soon after…Tony can attest to how well they held up. The front still has life left. I’m looking for a new rear and am considering the PR3. Clearly it’s supposed to have better wet grip and longevity than the PR2, but what about dry grip? I see on the Michelin website that the PR3 has the “soft” compound in the center 50% of the front tire, while the PR2 has the soft compound in the center 60%. Does that mean the PR2s are still the more aggressive tire? If so, I’ll take the PR2 at the cheaper price. 15K miles is plenty long enough, and I don’t push my tires to the slipping point in rain anyways…

Also, the graphic showing the bend/give of the PR3 rubber (claiming it helps break up the water tension) makes me nervous. Maybe that’s good in the rain, but it seems like it would cause the tires to act weird when dry.

sipes2.jpg

You bring up some good points Josh. I guess we'll have to wait for some feedback once people actually start using these tires.

As far as your concern with tread squirm I think it will probably be minimal in dry conditions, but still something to keep in mind. I doubt Michelin would design a tire that was so heavily biased toward rain as to compromise dry handling. Most people don't ride that much in the rain.

I have the PR2's and absolutely love them. I would agree that, outside of track riding, you are not going to see an advantage going with the power pures over the pr2. As far as my experience with the power 2ct I have seen a buddy of mine leave a black stripe power slide thru a 120mph corner for 75 yards. He switched to the pr2's and has had no such problems.

Also, the graphic showing the bend/give of the PR3 rubber (claiming it helps break up the water tension) makes me nervous. Maybe that’s good in the rain, but it seems like it would cause the tires to act weird when dry.

sipes2.jpg

vsiddhartha I think you'll find the graphic has been greatly exaggerated to illustrate the point that Michelin is trying to make. However I do see the point you are making but I cannot imagine Michelin would produce a new tyre that had adverse handling charateristics compared to it's predecessor. Besides once the PR3's are on the market I would think the PR2 production will cease.

I have a PR2 on the back and a Pilot Power on front at the moment and am very happy :). When I need a new set of tyres I plan to give the PR3's a go!!

Seems they are sold out most everywhere that would carry them. Waiting for the PR2 to drop in price now. :sinister: Then I'll run a set of 2's until we get extended road reports from the 3's. :D

Sence im new to motorcycles, What should a shop roughly charge for a tire change(Off cycle).

Always buy at the same shop, eventually get on the "good 'ol boy" discount.

I generally pay between $12 per or $15 for both, depending on the person behind the desk. Common pricing is $15 each... some places are higher.

It always pays to be a repeat customer, remember you are paying for the convenience of them being open and in stock.

Seems they are sold out most everywhere that would carry them. Waiting for the PR2 to drop in price now. :sinister: Then I'll run a set of 2's until we get extended road reports from the 3's. :D

Yea, I don't know if they are really sold out or if they haven't even reached the distributors yet since I haven't heard of anyone having a set of these yet. Since my tires are still fine I will hold out until the Summer and then get the PR3s ;)

Yea, I don't know if they are really sold out or if they haven't even reached the distributors yet since I haven't heard of anyone having a set of these yet. Since my tires are still fine I will hold out until the Summer and then get the PR3s ;)

I did find them on two sites but neither has a 190 listed... just 180 and 170. I'm in a quandary because I *should* have new tires but do I get the PR2 CT or go for the PR3 without knowing any road reports?

Back