2014 Yamaha FZ9!

You have much to learn, young padawan. ;) Listen to Ivan for he is wise.

There is a big difference between:

90 hp/40 torque/475 lbs and 100 hp/70 torque/415 lbs

Especially if you consider when and where that power is available

Old saying... HP sell engines, torque win races! LOL

Agree, no where near to compare the FZ6 (who was a nice ride) to a FZ9, or FZ8 in that matter.

Last numbers were 112 WHP and 57 ft.lb on the FZ8... still need to get numbers on the last cam timing and tune with my mid-ship exhaust... (much better off the butt dyno so far)

I was wrong on the Fz6, for some reason I thought it had 60 lb*ft of torque, not 47. And I remembered with a tune that some guys were saying they were getting up to 110 horse on their Fz6.

This is why I love this forum because I learn so much and all the stuff I thought that was wrong get's corrected.

So, every opposition I've had to the Fz-09 has been shot down. Bike seems sweet. Only thing left that I have to not like is the color schemes. I want an all black version, no gray or blue wheels. I want all black with silver or black forks.

There's something to be said about the difference in power between a 600-4 and an 850-3 as well. The FZ6 may produce 90 hp but that is not available until the top of the rev range. The rest of the time, there is not a lot of power. An 850 triple will give you more of the available power more often and at more revs with more torque. It's a completely different character.

Last edited:
There's something to be said about the difference in power between a 600-4 and an 850-3 as well. The FZ6 may produce 90 hp but that is not available until the top of the rev range. The rest of the time, there is not a lot of power. An 850 triple will give you more of the available power more often and at more revs with more torque. It's a completely different character.

Well said, that's whats so appealing about a Triple. Seems like the perfect blend of a Twin and a Four. Gobs of torque but still giving you the rev happy character of an inline 4 higher in the rev range.

I am going to have to ride one I guess. It seems like a compromise 3cyl. The 4 cyl is so perfected it just seems like the way to go. Even the race vtwins are only able to keep up when they make them bigger to compete against the 4cyl or put them in a super expensive chassi..

So I'm wrapping my mind around the possibilities here.

The new triple engine gives more torque down low in the range. Basically I've seen 60 lb*ft to 70 lb*ft which is the equivalent of the Fz1. The downside is the the 100 - 110 hp which is approximately 20-30 hp less than the Fz1. However since I have to worry about being caught criminally speeding the top end shouldn't matter as much because the kick in the pants of acceleration is what makes for fun riding in town anyway.

So I'm wrapping my mind around the possibilities here.

The new triple engine gives more torque down low in the range. Basically I've seen 60 lb*ft to 70 lb*ft which is the equivalent of the Fz1. The downside is the the 100 - 110 hp which is approximately 20-30 hp less than the Fz1. However since I have to worry about being caught criminally speeding the top end shouldn't matter as much because the kick in the pants of acceleration is what makes for fun riding in town anyway.

You don't need the top end because the bike is naked. You'll be struggling to hold on past 200 kph.
It was one of the main reasons I bought a naked. They feel fast due to the lack of faring and I'm not trying to max it out all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9300

The 4 cyl is so perfected it just seems like the way to go.

Yep, your right on the money.

Too me, the whole idea with the FZ1, was to have a real world R1.
An R1-GT if you will.

If only they would put the Crossplane R1 engine in the FZ chassis. :sinister:

MT-09 platform for new range of triple cylinder bikes

Original text in Dutch:
De nieuwe MT-09 zou niet de enige driepitter in het Yamaha-gamma blijven. Het merk met de gekruiste stemvorken zou een aantal varianten op de MT-09 plannen.
Dat Yamaha na een aantal jaren van laagconjunctuur opnieuw met een modellenoffensief zou uitpakken wisten we al. Maar dat een deel van dit offensief uit MT-09-gebaseerde zal bestaan is nieuw. Onze collega’s van het Japanse magazine Young Machine pakken deze maand uit met een aantal beelden van toekomstige Yamaha’s. Daarbij gaat het om een sportieve toermachine (Fazer 09), een allroadmachine (Ténéré 09) en een sportmotor (YZF-R09). Allen delen ze de driecilinder motor van de MT-09.Op de sportieve YZF-R09 zou het motorblok wel onder handen genomen worden om het vermogen van 115 naar 130 pk te brengen.
Het Franse blad Moto Journal heeft dan weer weet van een TDM-achtige versie van de MT-09
. Op hun cover van vorige week (zie onderaan) pakten ze uit met een eigen interpretatie van die motorfiets – die ze de typenaam MT-09X meegaven. De belangrijkste verschillen met de standaard MT-09 zijn de 19duims wielen, de langere veerwegen en het kopkuipje.
Het blijft afwachten of deze vier modellen ook daadwerkelijk op de showroomvloer van de lokale Yamaha-dealer zullen geraken. Maar dat Yamaha veel meer plannen heeft voor het 900cc driecilinder blok is nu wel duidelijk.

Translated summary headliner:
The Japanese magazine Young Machine revealed this month some pictures of future Yamaha models. It shows a sport-tourer (FZ-09), an allroad machine (Tenere 09) and a soprtbike YZF-R09. All sharing the triple engine from the MT-09. The engine on the YZF-R09 would be tuned to improve the HP from 115 to 130HP.
The French Moto Journal mentions a TDM-like versie of the MT-09.

Last edited:
Yep, your right on the money.

Too me, the whole idea with the FZ1, was to have a real world R1.
An R1-GT if you will.

If only they would put the Crossplane R1 engine in the FZ chassis. :sinister:

Crossplane engine sucks compared to this one...
Lots more vibration below 5000 rpm too

It makes 10 hp less than a 2004 R1 in the midrange... do I need to post a dyno chart?

I think they should keep the current engine and the throttle cables.... just make appearance and chassis updates.

Ivan

Right now it looks like they are gonna use that new 3 cylinder in everything!

Im gonna hunt down that "Young Machine" magazine and post pics on here. (if i find it)

Im sure more info will be out soon.
Honda recently added a lot of new machines to their line up, its about time for Yamaha too.

Heres Honda Japans whole current line up if you are interested. They added like 10 new bikes this past year.

Honda | ƒoƒCƒNƒ‰ƒCƒ“ƒAƒbƒv

*edit* Found the latest issue but no news for any Yamaha bikes! Must have been last months.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Honda V4... like an old school interceptor :frown:

I'll take a shrieking inline 4 w/ conventional firing order any day over that.

Yamaha always makes something innovative that others won't bother with...just to prove that they can. I give them lots of credit for that.

Ivan

Last edited:
Sounds like a Honda V4... like an old school interceptor :frown:

I'll take a shrieking inline 4 w/ conventional firing order any day over that.

Yamaha always makes something innovative that others won't bother with...just to prove that they can. I give them lots of credit for that.

Ivan

Go ride a Tuono V4R and your opinion with change at the first twist of the throttle regarding a V4. :yes: The FZ1 is a wonderful bike, but very long of tooth.

I agree, Yamaha has been a leader for many decades and I'm sure the liter triple will be a stunning motor/bike.

Ok, one bit of interesting news is the FZ09 will be called MT09 in Japan and sold for about $8500. Its also 850cc.

And its being compared to the new Honda CB650F (also new)

Back