2014 Yamaha FZ9!

AML

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | First Look - Motorcyclist magazine

Some big changes coming in the next few years, mainly the 3 Cylinder Cross Plane crank.

Once the new R1 is announced, we will get some idea of what the next gen FZ1 will look like engine wise.

After that we can hope to see a design update and some better features like ABS, DTC, LEDs all round and whatever else is new.

To be honest I dont particularly like the look of the new FZ9, but its too soon to tell.

Personally, Im riding a Ducati Diavel right now!

Sold my Fazer but miss the hell out of it! Especially with all the mods I made.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... interesting. Also, love that ducati. Probably a little price jump up to the ducati. I love the pipes with the one sided swing arm.

I'm not excited about them making the Fz-09 smaller. I'm already sitting big on the Fz-1. Also not excited about the look of the air intake on there, looks like a derivative of the V-Max. The shorter tail looks like the Ducati's to me.

I was just reading a couple of articles to see if I could find more details and it seems like Yamaha wants to dedicate the triple to the street application and it is doubted that it will make it's way to the YZF-R1 which will likely keep the crossplain i-4.

Honestly they may being fazing out (like that, play on words, hehehe) the fazer as we know it.

I am looking forward to bike week coming back to PHX soon where I can try it out. I heard the torque delivery throughout the range is great and that is my only complaint about the Fz1 is having to have it corked all the way up to feel it in the seat the way I like.

I'm all over this new FZ09. 113 hp, 3 cylinder characteristics and a wet weight 70 lbs less than the FZ1? Yes, please. The tiny fuel tank is a bit of a bummer but easily lived with.

Just give me a Givi rack for my top case with 40-45 MPG and I'm good to go

Hmmmmm... interesting. Also, love that ducati. Probably a little price jump up to the ducati. I love the pipes with the one sided swing arm.

Yeah, costs twice as much but its not twice the bike to be honest :D

It does (on paper) have everything a modern bike should.

ABS, DTS, All LED, 170hp (after mods)

Also feel I need to mention Tune Boy. Thanks to them I was able to remap the ECU directly and make the bike full power. Also installed a great fuel remap made by another rider.

I really hope we see compatibility with new Jp bikes in the future. it makes power commanders obsolete!

Main reason I sold my jp spec Fazer was because I got tired of not being able to make it full power. With the diavel it was a 5 min job with the tune boy.

(all bikes in japan are heavily detuned to meet emissions/sound regulations)

Last edited:
I'm all over this new FZ09. 113 hp, 3 cylinder characteristics and a wet weight 70 lbs less than the FZ1? Yes, please. The tiny fuel tank is a bit of a bummer but easily lived with.

Just give me a Givi rack for my top case with 40-45 MPG and I'm good to go

Look at the tail, how would you get a top case on that? It looks like you'd have to do an FE and bolt to the bottom of the tail. I dunno.

I think they are trying to make this not so much for sport touring but for city street mobbing. BTW have you guys been following the news on 2013 ROC in St. Louis, in the first day they impounded 70 bikes.

Look at the tail, how would you get a top case on that? It looks like you'd have to do an FE and bolt to the bottom of the tail. I dunno.

All Givi racks bolt to the frame and arms run along the tail and sit above the tail light.

Like so:

givi_fz256_honda_CB919_CB900F_hornet_Monorack5486.jpg

I would imagine the current pics released of the FZ9 are the street version.

The touring Fazer version will come later with a different set up/fairing.

Im sure it will look a lot better.

As for the FZ1/Fazer being Fazed out, I frakin hope not!

Pretty sure they are working (from what the article said) on a new R1. That should lead to a new FZ1/Fazer.

It's a popular bike with a lot of fans and followers. And Fazing it out would be stupid.

Unless the logic behind it is that the 113hp of the FZ8/FZ9 is enough for touring. Thus the FZ1 is unnecessary.

For me personally, i cant ever buy a super sports bike like the R1 because of the riding position.
It aggravates a couple of injuries and i have to get off those bikes after less than an hour of riding.

The Diavel is a mixed bag but you can call it a sports tourer as well as a cruiser.
And it has a ton of power. So the FZ1 is not overkill in terms of power or anything.

I will be buying one.

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | First Look - Motorcyclist magazine

Some big changes coming in the next few years, mainly the 3 Cylinder Cross Plane crank.

Once the new R1 is announced, we will get some idea of what the next gen FZ1 will look like engine wise.

After that we can hope to see a design update and some better features like ABS, DTC, LEDs all round and whatever else is new.

To be honest I dont particularly like the look of the new FZ9, but its too soon to tell.

Personally, Im riding a Ducati Diavel right now!

Sold my Fazer but miss the hell out of it! Especially with all the mods I made.

If a new 2015(?) FZ1 goes this route...I am all over it.

The single sided swing arm on the Ducati is one feature Yamaha should be adopting, but it would interfere with their price point.

I don't need all of the fancy electronics, just a great engine, brakes & suspension. I like the under frame exhaust to keep the CG low.

I would also like on the fly adjustable electronic suspension, but again it knocks out the pricing strategy.

Baby FJR, anyone? That would be a great, great bike

Yes, that could be great competition for the BMW F 800 GT. There should be more smaller sprot touring bikes. With more women riders and fuel concious riders, I really think that market could be big. My wife loves her '09 Ninja 250R, but a more comfortable, sport touring bike would be great for longer rides. I want to get an FJR, but there's really nothing for her until the BMW F 800 GT. Sadly, the sticker on the F800 GT is steep. A price concious Yamaha sport touring version of the 850 triple would be perfect!

Is this the same bike???

Labeled MT09.

Yes. The MT09 is a better name because it follows the other MT line in looks. The MT line never made it to America, so I guess Yamaha decided to call it the FZ-09 here rather than introduce the MT line. I think it is FZ in Canada too, but I'm not 100% on that. I know Europe and I think the rest of the world it is MT-09. Confusing, but true. Of course, many bikes do this. The Ninja 650 in America is the ER-6f in Europe.

PS Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen that one yet. MCN usually does a decent review, but I don't always agree with them.

Last edited:
Yea it's a good review. Looking forward to trying out the bike!

Hope they do something good with the new FZ1 too.

Not sure if a 3 cylinder engine would work for a sports tourer, but the Street and Speed Tripple are good bikes.

I suppose the fz9 and fz1 could be comparable.

I stop by the stealership today, they are hoping to have one on the floor by next week. I'll go again next week. I'm 50/50 between a 13 FZ8 and FZ9...

I think the bike looks like a lot of fun and will be a great urban brawler. I don't think it would be that much fun for long rides. My Naked Fz1 does alright on long trips but I think the Yamaha is committing to a single bike for a single application, and away from the sport standard/sport touring that the Fz1 was good for.

Back