2014 Yamaha FZ9!

I don't think it would be that much fun for long rides.

I'm curious what makes you say that? Ergonomics for a big guy like yourself are a challenge but I don't see it being much more cramped than the FZ1, if at all. I'm anxious to throw a leg over one and see. It sounds like that engine will be sensational over long distance with all the torque it provides

Last edited:
I'm really diggin the FZ09 but its not quite what I'd want for myself.
Love to see a FZ11-12. FZ09's an awesome bike for what it is, a budget triple with super light weight and a nice torque spread. Should make a killer around town, twisty killing, street fighter.
One of my favorite bikes was my Hawk GT and the FZ09 reminds me of it in many ways

Yamaha build me a 1100-1200cc triple with a Faring like the current FZ1s.
keep it light as possible like the FZ09 and better suspension would be nice.

I'd happily pay another 4 grand for 1100cc-1200cc's, some wind protection, premium suspension,and ABS .

Fingers crossed for a FZ12 triple with some wind protection. :waiting:

Edit: The only current bikes that could possibly make me sell the FZ are the Tuono and Speed Triple...... in a perfect world Yamaha takes my favorite attributes of the FZ09, Speed Triple and Tuono smashes them together into one bike and gives me a FZ12 triple.

am I asking too much ? hahahahaha

Last edited:
Hate to be the party pooper but I'm always one to wait a year or 2 before purchasing a new model bike.

Let's not forget the horrible fueling, cracked frames, rear shock spring and bad batch of valve stems that 2006 FZ1 owners had to deal with. Sure the cracked frames and bad valve stems were pretty limited but who wants to deal with worrying about something like that ?

Sounds like crappy fueling is already an issue with the FZ09 from the few reviews I've seen but we do have Ivan so I'm sure it can be corrected.

I'm not trying to knock the FZ09 but just giving potential owners something to think about. The same advice I'd share with a friend.

Sometimes shiny new things let emotion take over and buyers remorse is soon to follow :)

Fueling is always going to be an issue mainly because makers are always trying to give new bikes better mileage.

Only way to do this is:

1. Make the bike more efficient
2. cut the amount of fuel required to run
3. restrict the bike in terms of speed, power and torque.

This makes all new bikes ride like crap.

In the video I linked, the problems mentioned will be fixable with some modding.

Akra Exhaust, power commander or ECU remap.

Only then would i even consider buying a new Yamaha.

My Diavel was a POS when i picked it up.

Why? It was running lean as hell, the Jp spec had about 50hp taken off (ECU restriction) and the muffler they put on for Japan was longer and heavier than the standard stock everywhere else.

It wasn't till i unleashed the bikes ECU (using tune boy) and took the muffler off (replaced with a competition werkes slip on), that the bike finally woke up and started becoming fun to ride.

If i want a clean and quiet vehicle ill buy a Nissan leaf or Tesla Model S.

I do care about the environment, but you cant sell motor vehicles with hundreds of HP at premium prices then restrict the crap out of them to meet emissions standards.

What we need to start looking at is hybrid bikes. Look at what all the luxury car makers are doing. (Porsche 918 )

Someone needs to get to work on a hybrid bike system that's clean and quiet but doesn't compromise performance.

Last edited:
I think after reading his post he's referring to a lack of wind protection .

I am not so much worried about the wind protection but the actual size of the bike. A Fz6 forum member posted a pic of himself sitting on the bike. He was 5'8" and the bike looked small for him. The Fz1 physically (not engine or performance, but ergos) already is small for me, and is on the border of being just right and too small. Also I think the riding position of the Fz-09 is supposed to be a little more aggressive than the Fz1. I like the bike and it looks sexy as hell for ripping around in the city where you can only realize about 1/3 of it's potential (which I guess it only makes it a 1/4 of my Fz1 potential).

To be honest, the Fz-09 is a smaller version of my bike. My bike is blacked out, LED lights, naked. I don't have the benefit of a smooth power band yet because I haven't dropped the coin on Ivan or PC, or the full suspension. But the reviews say the suspension would need to be done anyway (typical for Yamaha for any big guy) and the throttle is twitchy on the Fz-09.

I will not be getting rid of my Fz1 any time soon. The only thing that has really piqued my interest is the Tuono V4R or an FJR. Right now the Fz1 satisfies enough of both of the activity that those bikes would be good for that I can have in one bike and not two.

Enjoy the other promo videos I found and the info from the EU website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcj5b7pfdyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkqA29QPg

MT-09 2014 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor Europe

I think it's funny too that I blacked out my Fz1 and call her The Beast, then Yamaha releases their "The Dark Side of Japan". I'm ahead of my time.

I am not so much worried about the wind protection but the actual size of the bike. A Fz6 forum member posted a pic of himself sitting on the bike. He was 5'8" and the bike looked small for him. The Fz1 physically (not engine or performance, but ergos) already is small for me, and is on the border of being just right and too small. Also I think the riding position of the Fz-09 is supposed to be a little more aggressive than the Fz1. I like the bike and it looks sexy as hell for ripping around in the city where you can only realize about 1/3 of it's potential (which I guess it only makes it a 1/4 of my Fz1 potential).

To be honest, the Fz-09 is a smaller version of my bike. My bike is blacked out, LED lights, naked. I don't have the benefit of a smooth power band yet because I haven't dropped the coin on Ivan or PC, or the full suspension. But the reviews say the suspension would need to be done anyway (typical for Yamaha for any big guy) and the throttle is twitchy on the Fz-09.

I will not be getting rid of my Fz1 any time soon. The only thing that has really piqued my interest is the Tuono V4R or an FJR. Right now the Fz1 satisfies enough of both of the activity that those bikes would be good for that I can have in one bike and not two.

Enjoy the other promo videos I found and the info from the EU website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcj5b7pfdyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkqA29QPg

MT-09 2014 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor Europe

I think it's funny too that I blacked out my Fz1 and call her The Beast, then Yamaha releases their "The Dark Side of Japan". I'm ahead of my time.

Check this concerning riding position , may be a bit of a surprise :)

How The Yamaha FZ-09 Compares to the FZ8 | RideApart

The FZ09 is up at www.cycle-ergo.com so you can go compare the triangle to the FZ1!

It certainly has a much more comfortable riding position than my 919 and that bike is an awesome distance machine (for a naked). Multiple 500-600 mile days on the 919 are no problem and I bet this new FZ will be even better. Maybe it needs a flyscreen, though

Motorcycle Ergonomics

cool tool to compare motorcycle riding positions according to this the FZ09 is more relaxed than the Gen II FZ1

You beat me!

919:
umuqazu6.jpg

Very similar to the FZ1

The FZ09 looks really comfy! That wet weight is awesome, too. I bet it's really easy to ride

The FZ09 is up at Motorcycle Ergonomics so you can go compare the triangle to the FZ1!

It certainly has a much more comfortable riding position than my 919 and that bike is an awesome distance machine (for a naked). Multiple 500-600 mile days on the 919 are no problem and I bet this new FZ will be even better. Maybe it needs a flyscreen, though

You beat me!

Interesting, so it seems that I would have 0degrees of forward lean on the 9 compared to 12degrees on the 1. 74degree knee bend compared to 69degree on the knee.

Thank you both for the website, that's cool to see. I'm gonna have to demo the 9 when it comes to AZ in the spring.

"The FZ-09 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders."

Bahahaha, I just read this at the Yamaha Canada webpage describing the bike. Too funny.

The 09 was/is putting out 115 bhp and probably 100 hp to the rear wheel which puts it in the same ballpark as the Fz6. Although I crashed my Fz6 it was not due to the abundance of performance, the performance was ok, I was just inexperienced rider on poor road conditions.

The 09 was/is putting out 115 bhp and probably 100 hp to the rear wheel which puts it in the same ballpark as the Fz6.

and that's one reason I'm wishing for a 1100-1200cc FZ12 triple. Torque and light weight are awesome but I also NEED ass puckering, eyeball flattening horsepower to really fall in love with a bike. Especially if its going to be my only bike.

"The FZ-09 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders."

Bahahaha, I just read this at the Yamaha Canada webpage describing the bike. Too funny.

The 09 was/is putting out 115 bhp and probably 100 hp to the rear wheel which puts it in the same ballpark as the Fz6. Although I crashed my Fz6 it was not due to the abundance of performance, the performance was ok, I was just inexperienced rider on poor road conditions.

Your FZ6 only put out 45 lb/ft of torque or so.... This bike will probably be in the 65-70 range... combine that with lightweight and it will easily lift the front wheel probably in 2nd gear with throttle alone.

With only 110-120hp (piped and tuned), it won't come close to the FZ1 in a straight line.

Too bad it's fly-by-wire throttle.... I can't stand the crap that they feed the public... "more responsive" "Race tested"... It's all crap....

What it really is..... just more control in their hands... the throttle plates will only do what they want them to do.... not what you want.

Power restrictions in the lower gears... power restrictions in the upper gears... any kind of power restriction that you can think of... thay can and most likely will add it with these type of throttle systems.

Wheelie control for the insurance company nannies, less warranty claims of broken parts because they dumbed down the response.

Bring back throttle cables.....:frown:

Ivan

The 09 was/is putting out 115 bhp and probably 100 hp to the rear wheel which puts it in the same ballpark as the Fz6.

You have much to learn, young padawan. ;) Listen to Ivan for he is wise.

There is a big difference between:

90 hp/40 torque/475 lbs and 100 hp/70 torque/415 lbs

Especially if you consider when and where that power is available

Last edited:
Back