2014 Yamaha FZ9!

Congrats Skooter, after I got back today from my testride, my first thoughts were to sell my FZ1 and get too me this MT09. What a fun ride it was! Accelerations kicks, pops wheelies in 2nd and 3rd and before I knew I was cruising at 170kmh on the highway

Some minor remarks which after discussed with dealer are already solutions for
*passenger footrest are to close to my feet (size 12)
*saddle too slippery
*bike is a wee too small for my long legs, so needs pegs moved backwards

Last edited:
Oh ya! It fit!

OEM shock with preload 3/7 had no free sag and with me about 28mm. Spring rate is 550 lb/in. Reb adjuster only... all the way close. Ride was really harsh but I had to keep the preload like that so the bike doesn't squat too much under acceleration. Bumpy road were not fun and felt like a donkey kick me in the arse every time.

So now... with this 2008 ZX-10 triple adjuster shock... :) spring rate is 510 lb/in (9.1kg/mm) free sag at 10mm, with me +26mm... 36 total.

Basically I preload the shock to get back at the same static ride height and start from there.

ene5a3yd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention... the shock is about 5mm longer. All extra sag.

Also I just cut the unsprung mass by 60% (or so)

The FZ09 has the shock body bolted to the swingarm side for easy preload adjustment I guess. This one is on the chassis.

Great $65.00 update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I finally got an up close look at the bike and all I can say is unfinished and ugly (in my eyes) the front end above the headlight looks cheap, and the off set dash sure doesn't do it for me... Blue wheels and nothing else blue on the bike.... even if they would have did the Yamaha emblem anodized blue... and the tail light its just stuck there...

anyways... it needs beat with an ugly stick :stupidPC:

I finally got an up close look at the bike and all I can say is unfinished and ugly (in my eyes) the front end above the headlight looks cheap, and the off set dash sure doesn't do it for me... Blue wheels and nothing else blue on the bike.... even if they would have did the Yamaha emblem anodized blue... and the tail light its just stuck there...

I saw one for the first time in person today as well, but I did not have time to really examine it. I do agree all Yamaha Bikes should have the option to come in Yamaha Blue.

I would rather they all come in a Raven option with mostly black, and not the ridiculous gray mixed in. Also can't stand that they always have to use gold forks. Is it still the 90s and I missed it when gold forks meant something. I want black forks, all the time.

I do agree with you, the dash/headlight area look unfinished. I'm waiting to see what's available as far as fly screen. There's a few out there but nothing that fit the bike at 100% IMO. The taillight blend much better once you fix the FE (previous post) That was the first mod I did within 24hrs of ownership. I couldn't stand it either. I modded the seat and I'm getting it covered this week. Black fabric and carbon blurple accent. That should blend the wheel better.

The FZ-09 is not for everyone and that's fine. We all meet that one girl in college that had that killer body butterface. LOL Not the prettiest but a hell of a ride! :stunta]:

Last edited:
I would rather they all come in a Raven option with mostly black, and not the ridiculous gray mixed in. Also can't stand that they always have to use gold forks. Is it still the 90s and I missed it when gold forks meant something. I want black forks, all the time.

See I like gold forks. As when you buy a Duc or Ape you get gold Ohlins.

I do agree with you, the dash/headlight area look unfinished. I'm waiting to see what's available as far as fly screen. There's a few out there but nothing that fit the bike at 100% IMO. The taillight blend much better once you fix the FE (previous post) That was the first mod I did within 24hrs of ownership. I couldn't stand it either. I modded the seat and I'm getting it covered this week. Black fabric and carbon blurple accent. That should blend the wheel better.

The FZ-09 is not for everyone and that's fine. We all meet that one girl in college that had that killer body butterface. LOL Not the prettiest but a hell of a ride! :stunta]:

I like your bike mate, bang for buck you can't do any better.

Are they perfect, probably not, but the areas that they are lacking in are easily fixed.

Enjoy your ride :sport12:

I FINALLY was able to sit on an FZ-09 a few weeks ago. The local shop ordered the orange one, and it shipped later than the red and black versions. I didn't think I'd care too much for the orange, but it turns out it is a beautiful metallic orange tank. I really do like it. It felt very comfortable. The dash is crap, just like the pictures, but the rest seems great. I so want to ride it. I want to hear and feel that triple. Maybe someday.

I was hoping the wife would like to move up to the FZ-09 from her Ninja 250r, but I honestly think the BMW F800GT would be a better bike for her. We do some mid-range touring together and that bike would fit the riding better. Maybe they Yamaha will use that 850 triple in a mid-sized sport-touring bike.

I FINALLY was able to sit on an FZ-09 a few weeks ago. The local shop ordered the orange one, and it shipped later than the red and black versions. I didn't think I'd care too much for the orange, but it turns out it is a beautiful metallic orange tank. I really do like it. It felt very comfortable. The dash is crap, just like the pictures, but the rest seems great. I so want to ride it. I want to hear and feel that triple. Maybe someday.

I was hoping the wife would like to move up to the FZ-09 from her Ninja 250r, but I honestly think the BMW F800GT would be a better bike for her. We do some mid-range touring together and that bike would fit the riding better. Maybe they Yamaha will use that 850 triple in a mid-sized sport-touring bike.

The 09 could be a great ST machine once set up with a Touring screen from MRA by example and I'm sure Givi will come up with bags for it soon. Only thing is the 3.5 gals fuel tank... I got 47 MPG once @ 70 MPH. That was good for 140... 150 miles range pushing the reserve a bit. Good enough I think.

Suspension is the big weakness, rear shock especially. My ZX-10 shock and fork springs with 10W oil didn't even brake the $200.00 and that thing is on rail now. Another $200 on front brake lines and EBC HH pads and that's done. Still way under 10K OTD with a killer ride.

The 09 could be a great ST machine once set up with a Touring screen from MRA by example and I'm sure Givi will come up with bags for it soon. Only thing is the 3.5 gals fuel tank... I got 47 MPG once @ 70 MPH. That was good for 140... 150 miles range pushing the reserve a bit. Good enough I think.

Suspension is the big weakness, rear shock especially. My ZX-10 shock and fork springs with 10W oil didn't even brake the $200.00 and that thing is on rail now. Another $200 on front brake lines and EBC HH pads and that's done. Still way under 10K OTD with a killer ride.

Great tweaks. I love what you've done with it. I'm hoping Yamaha has a plan to utilize this motor in other applications. A factory setup as a mid size ST seems a no brainer to me, but the US market may not support it :(

I see the FZ-09 is to the Z1000 as this possible bike would be to the Ninja 1000.

My dream bikes right now would be the (I never thought I'd want 2 BMWs) K1600GT for touring and the S1000R (single R, the new 'naked' bike) for play and commute. However, I could see me on the FJR and FZ-09 (or even still on my FZ1) as a decent pair. The V4 Tuono is a close second to the S1000R, but I have a BMW dealer about 70 miles from my house. I don't even know where to find Aprilia. Many hundred miles away.

Great tweaks. I love what you've done with it. I'm hoping Yamaha has a plan to utilize this motor in other applications. A factory setup as a mid size ST seems a no brainer to me, but the US market may not support it :(

I see the FZ-09 is to the Z1000 as this possible bike would be to the Ninja 1000.

My dream bikes right now would be the (I never thought I'd want 2 BMWs) K1600GT for touring and the S1000R (single R, the new 'naked' bike) for play and commute. However, I could see me on the FJR and FZ-09 (or even still on my FZ1) as a decent pair. The V4 Tuono is a close second to the S1000R, but I have a BMW dealer about 70 miles from my house. I don't even know where to find Aprilia. Many hundred miles away.

Tuono is a killer ride. My wife will learn on the FZ6R then I'll get her a ride. FZ-09 and either a Strom 1K or S10 will be my tour bike.

Back