Hail's DRZ Build Thread

I picked the DRZ up from the dealership today. I rode it up and down the side road along the side of the shop before I got on the roads, in rush hour traffic. I needed to get comfortable with the seat height.

I headed straight for my local shop that I know and trust to have them setup my suspension. I tell you what I am glad I did. That thing was really bouncing around and wobling like crazy. I knew it would feel different than the FZ1 but geez! I was half wondering to myself that was plain and simply the way the bike was supposed to be. The answer was NO!. After getting the suspension setup it felt great and inspired much more confidence. Suspension is always the first thing I do!

She is at home now. Safe in the garage next to the FZ1. No goodies in the mail yet. Should be here tomorrow so I have a bit of accessorizing (don't want to offend Pete by saying "modding") this weekend. Here are some photos at home.

Congrats on the bike, I had a dr650 for years and miss it bad. Now i'm looking at selling my Fz1 :/

How many miles you got now? Is it just sitting in the garage? ;) :)

160. Not even broke in. I bought this and almost immediately started on a major project at work stealing 14 hours a day from me. I have 3 weeks to go before I have any real time to play. The good news is that due to the long hours i am unable to carpool and taking the bikes much more often.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I start with a book and a movie

So I have been stuck working 16 hour days almost since the day I got this bike. Almost done with the project so it will be time to ride but first I need popcorn.:popcorn:

Dualsport Riding Techniques DVD [DSR_DVD] - $29.95 : Dualsport Riding
11344d1340930254-hails-drz-build-thread-b571157ae34a62d93c74d97f1df2ae35_image_383x550.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guide-Dual-Sport-Motorcycling/dp/188431371X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340930286&sr=1-1&keywords=dual+sport+riding]Amazon.com: The Essential Guide to Dual Sport Motorcycling: Everything You Need to Buy, Ride, and Enjoy the World's Most Versatile Motorcycles (9781884313714): Carl Adams: Books[/ame]

11345d1340930254-hails-drz-build-thread-capture.jpg

No Longer a Virgin

This morning for the first time in my life I rode a motorcycle off road. It was every exciting for me though probably tame for most of you. I found a nice area close to home with several retention ponds, gravel roads, dirt roads, wet muddy ditches and slopes.

I spent only about an hour out there practicing some drills from "Dual Sport Riding Techniques" DVD.. I got experience:

• Riding in the "attack" position
  • Riding on rutted gravel roads
  • Riding on rutted mud and dirt
  • Riding fast on these roads getting use to how an off road bike squirms a bit under me just letting the bike do it's thing
  • Climbing slow and controled
  • Stopping and starting on a slope
  • Using positive camber of slopes when turning
  • Practiced riding with the clutch partially engaged to maintain rear traction in varying circumstances
I am not confident enough to get the rear spinning in a turn yet but looking forward to it

I also stopped to have breakfast at my favorite little Nook. In that almost completely empty parking lot was a mine field of parking curbs. I spent about 30 minutes just driving over those both in sitting and attack positions.

I learned a lot this morning but realize I have so much more to learn. My most awquard moments this morning were in very low speed conditions where I found it hard to smoothly modulate the throttle and clutch. I expect that will come as I get more comfortable with the bike.

I think I need slightly higher bars for the attack riding position.

Not that dirty, I know but I am still proud! :D

Last edited:
This morning for the first time in my life I rode a motorcycle off road. It was every exciting for m. I found a nice area close to home with several retention ponds, gravel roads, dirt roads, wet muddy ditches and slopes.

I spent only about an hour out there practicing some drills from "Dual Sport Riding Techniques" DVD.. I got experience:

• Riding in the "attack" position
  • Riding on rutted gravel roads
  • Riding on rutted mud and dirt
  • Riding fast on these roads getting use to how an off road bike squirms a bit under me just letting the bike do it's thing
  • Climbing slow and controled
  • Stopping and starting on a slope
  • Using positive camber of slopes when turning
  • Practiced riding with the clutch partially engaged to maintain rear traction in varying circumstances
I am not confident enough to get the rear spinning in a turn yet but looking forward to it

I also stopped to have breakfast at my favorite little Nook. In that almost completely empty parking lot was a mine field of parking curbs. I spent about 30 minutes just driving over those both in sitting and attack positions.

I learned a lot this morning but realize I have so much more to learn. My most awquard moments this morning were in very low speed conditions where I found it hard to smoothly modulate the throttle and clutch. I expect that will come as I get more comfortable with the bike.

I think I need slightly higher bars for the attack riding position.

Not that dirty, I know but I am still proud! :D

Please tell me that you at least tried a Wheelie or two!!! :sinister:

Sounds like fun Brad. Just wait until your next track day, I bet all that dirt riding will pay off.

Once we get moved I'll begin shopping in earnest for a dual purpose bike.

After commuting to work one day with my Bilt helmet and O'Neal goggles I decided I needed a dual sport helmet with full visor. I was getting sand blasted around the goggles. I can only imagine it will be 10X worse on a dirt trail with a big group. Ever budget minded I selected the Fly Racing Trekker Helmet in high visability yellow. High viz not only to be seen but to help keep cool. It will match the high vis vest I wear over my gear. It was recommended by someone I trust. Good news is that the place I order from guarantees fit so if it is not perfect I will move on to my next budget mided option.
Trekker Helmet | Fly Racing

Also got a full upper boddy armor vest. I like the idea of being able to wear one of these on the ttrails with just a long sleeved Tshirt over it for comfort.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/charger_off_road_jacket/web1008836

Fly Racing Helmet

Got the new helmet in and it fits really well! I am pretty impressed with build quality and features for a $139 helmet. Going for a ride on the DRZ in the morning so I can see how it handles in the wind and what the noise level is like. The visor appears to have have good open spaces around it for air flow so it should not push me around to much.

Best thing about it is my head will never be mistaken for a deer in the forest! The light color should help me stay cool too.

Back