Hail's DRZ Build Thread

I would do the 434 big bore, FCR 39mm Carb, and a SSW MRD full open header and exhaust. This will wake the bike up, trust me. The next thing I would consider are case savers and then take a file to the inside of the shifter to round out that jagged part of the shifter.

Tons of info on thumpertalk

Picker Her UP

I picked the DRZ up from the dealership today. I rode it up and down the side road along the side of the shop before I got on the roads, in rush hour traffic. I needed to get comfortable with the seat height.

I headed straight for my local shop that I know and trust to have them setup my suspension. I tell you what I am glad I did. That thing was really bouncing around and wobling like crazy. I knew it would feel different than the FZ1 but geez! I was half wondering to myself that was plain and simply the way the bike was supposed to be. The answer was NO!. After getting the suspension setup it felt great and inspired much more confidence. Suspension is always the first thing I do!

She is at home now. Safe in the garage next to the FZ1. No goodies in the mail yet. Should be here tomorrow so I have a bit of accessorizing (don't want to offend Pete by saying "modding") this weekend. Here are some photos at home.

Last edited:
Already screwed up the paint on the rear fender. Tire pressure sticker was apparently never intended to come off by Suzuki. I used a little bit of my adheseive release on it and it ate right through the plastic finish. The entire rear fender looks like crap now. Don't know what I was thinking. All the other stickers came off easy.

Last edited:
Buy another set of plastics for it keep one set for show and the other set for thrashing. You can swap plastics relatively quickly and you wont feel to bad when you drop it on older plastics. Plus they are extremely cheap.

Ya that sucks you have to be careful with what you put on the plastics including gas. I went a little crazy on a fill up and it overflowed down the side of my klx discolored my plastics on one side. :banghead: I only had mine a week at the time lol.

This thing will get SO beat up it isnt even funny. Dont worry about a little plastic blemish..its a dirtbike! You'll bend your brake pedal in and your shifter soon enough anyways.

This thing will get SO beat up it isnt even funny. Dont worry about a little plastic blemish..its a dirtbike! You'll bend your brake pedal in and your shifter soon enough anyways.

Not if he installs a brake snake. They are easy enough to make yourself with old clutch or brake cable and small pinch clamps. Good idea for an off road or dual sport bike.

Skid Plate

Got the skid plate installed. this was one of the highest rated skid plates out. Most of the less expensive ones use clips that wrap around the frame. This skid plate bolts directly to the frame and is 1/4" aluminum!

Looks good Hail, now get some dirt on that machine. My 2004 was in real need of sprockets and chain so yesterday I went 15/41 for lower RPM's on the road. Boy that's the ticket. now 70 won't sound like she's gona blow.

Have fun with that thing and remember they get real light at speed :jaw drop:

Just ordered a set of hand gurds like the ones shown below from eBay. The price is right for me. I hope they dont suck!

BLACK HAND GUARDS FOR SUZUKI DRZ 400 DRZ400 KDX KLR KDX220R MX ATV UTV DIRT BIKE | eBay

Well it was worth a try but these are not going to work. Due to the length of these there is absolutely no way to mount them. On the left side the clutch switch is in the way. On the right side the the brake fluid resevoirs is WAY in the way. Looking for higher end guards now.

Back