Hail's DRZ Build Thread

Well here is the photo of my new 2012 DRZ400S in the shop on the day of purchase.
10938d1337441424-need-help-getting-dirty-adventerous-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337441413.689085.jpg

While I am sure I will make some perfoamance modifications soon my priority number one is getting used to a bike with such a high seat height. Outside of performance there are a few things I know I need right waway.

#1 1/4" Aluminum Skid Plate: $147
10947d1337470564-hails-drz-build-thread-drz_skid_plate.jpg

#2 Aluminum Cargo Rack: $107
10948d1337470564-hails-drz-build-thread-drz_cargo_rack.jpg

Both of the above are from Tonn's Fabrication.

I will also be ordering some hand guards this week but I have not decided which ones I want.

More photos when I receive the bike and new goddies for it!

Congratulations on the new ride. Good choice on first mods. I would consider the Zeta brand hand gaurds which should be a must on an off road machine. If it has rubber footpegs lose them for proper metal toothed ones asap. Folding mirrors, or just remove them when off road.

Get to know your machine and most important, have a great time!

Last edited:
Skid Plate and Cargo Rack??? Those aren't mods, they are accessories. We want pistons, cams, and exhaust systems.

Now snap to it Brad!!!

Oh, and get some real knobs. :nerd:

*And this is coming from the guy who's never ridden off-road. :squid:

Congratulations the new ride. Good choice on first mods. I would consider the Zeta brand hand gaurds which should be a must on an off road machine. If it has rubber footpegs lose them for proper metal toothed ones asap. Folding mirrors, or just remove them when off road.

Get to know your machine and most important, have a great time!

I will check them out!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Fastway's are your best bet on handguards IMO. Cheap plastic pieces are easy to replace, and the aluminum mounts to the triple. That way if you smack it, the guard helps not to bend the bars--rather than help it.

I saw many racks for around $80 bucks. Many were the half length and most were steel. I picked the one above specifically because it was aluminum and full length. I may regret that later after a few dropps and a loppie or two. ;)

We want pistons, cams, and exhaust systems.

I am thinking about getting a 434CC cylinder and piston kit and rejet it. Actually pretty affordable on this bike. Being just one cylender and all. ;) But, I need to ride it for a while as is.

Cargo rack and skid plate shipping confirmation received today.

Back