Hail's DRZ Build Thread

My DRZ came with Acerbis and they were a thing of beauty and held up well to smashing into concrete at 45mph and in ditches and trails

Acerbis is what I am leaning towards. There seem to be so many different models. It is hard to determine what I need by looking online. I need to get to a local shop that keeps them in stock.

might as well get some pro taper or renthal bars they you wont have to drill out the bar end plugs in the stock bars. Plus the stock bars will fold the first time you drop it they are paper thin lol.

Hand Guards Round 2

I went to cycle gear this morning to look at hand guards. They actually had Acerbis in stock and they are really nice but the fit of their brackets was going to be tight if they would work at all with the stock bar. I am sure I will eventually get a new bar but it is not in the budget right now.

I found these TrackSide guards there and they let me open the package and take the bracket out to my bike. These are going to work fine. Price on the sticket was $79.99. They rang up half price! What a freaking deal!

Will fit them later today.

A few of you and just about every DRZ forum on the interwebz recommended this. Get rid of that sharp angle on the shifter. It has a nasty habit of punching a hole in the case when dropped.

11097d1338664697-hails-drz-build-thread-dsc03995.jpg

I used my dremmel with a grinding stone to round it off.

11098d1338664697-hails-drz-build-thread-dsc03996.jpg

These seem to work pretty well. Nice quality too. I realize now it was designed for an over sized bar so I need to get an adapter for the inner clamp.

By the way I fashioned spacers from 1/2 PVC piping for the clamps on the bars. It worked out great. ....and I was able to sell the eBay ones for what I paid (minus shipping.)

Can't afford a full exhaust anytime soon so I got a simple exhaust tip replacement to help the sound if not only a little.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LofcwpkA9Q]DRZ400S Exhaust Tip Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some photos of my engine case covers from CFC. They are actually bonded with a high temp silicone adhesive. Both engine and inside of covers were scuffed and degreased before aplication.

11170d1339451370-hails-drz-build-thread-dsc04004.jpg

11171d1339451370-hails-drz-build-thread-dsc04005.jpg

Last edited:
Back