Won't go past 60

Not the throttle cable...lol..that's fine...my bad...the tear is in the clutch cable and the clutch cable bends at a 90

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

So I need a new clutch cable and reroute them...

Then do you think I still need the clutch kit...and if so the entire kit or just the plates with teeth

And do you think my problem is solved

I'm glad you finally find the source of the real problem. My suggestion will be to start with the cable and see how it goes. I will strongly suggest you also to change oil and filter right away... You might have a lot of clutch dust in your oil, check... I'm sure the oil is quite dirty.

I went through the same process when I install my Renthal bar. I had to re-route about everything. Even when I was turning the handlebar the idle was going up, so I had to readjust about everything. It's all fine now...

Well thing like this you never know. It depends how much the clutch has worn with out completly engaging. I would not get a whole clutch kit just the fibers and a cover gasket. It very helpful to have a impact wrench otherwise getting the pressure plate off could be a nightmare. Try the cable first you could get lucky.

BTW I would try rerouting the cable you have first it will tell alot about what else needs to be done.

I agree with Marthy and Johnny. Johnny's idea is great to re-route the existing cable and tray again. While it is out of the lever for routing, lube the CRAP out of it. How often do you lube your cables?

OK...I will do that first Johnny....and with it kinked its not alowwing the clutch to fully open and engage ....but only spittle that's why lower speeds were fine?...this is what I'm gathering...AND THANK YOU TO EVERYONE....this could save a few hundred

I suspect the steel plates will be shot. The clutch slipping bad at 60mph probably put a lot of heat thru them. Pull the cover and inspect them.
They are probably blued and warped from the heat.

You can check if they are warped by laying them on a glass table or other perfectly flat surface. If they are not warped and just blued/glazed you can try sanding them but really should replace them.

Be sure to change your oil filter after all this its probably full of material from the fiber plates.

I only rode it once and didn't ride it hard once I noticed a problem I stayed at 45...I will inspect everything once I get the shed cleaned out ....thanks guys....I have no idea what I would d without you....

Oh wait ...pay out the ying Yang that's it

If those bars have your clutch cable at the limit the same may be true for the throttle cable. Take a real good look at that also.

Start the bike and turn the bars full left and full right and give it some throttle in both positions. Make sure the idle does not rise or the throttle stick.

yea the throttle seems to be just fine..it didn't stick nor did the rpms go up when i turned it fully and there is actually some slack in the lines...but my buddy at the dealer said he will match any price i find...so hopefully just the clutch cable..but will check the plates...and change oil and filter....hopefully that clutch cable is the problem

Last edited:
I have the clutch apart and all the plates out...they do have some blueing and a couple of the steel plates are also warped slightly ...do they look bad to you? Ex...my problem

How much oil should have been on these?..they are slick but not dripping....

And if you can see the gunk around the bottom should I clean with clean towels and brake /Carb cleaner?...

I should have new cable and clutch kit Mon/Tues...thanks

I have the clutch apart and all the plates out...they do have some blueing and a couple of the steel plates are also warped slightly ...do they look bad to you? Ex...my problem

How much oil should have been on these?..they are slick but not dripping....

And if you can see the gunk around the bottom should I clean with clean towels and brake /Carb cleaner?...

I should have new cable and clutch kit Mon/Tues...thanks

Hi D, if you lay them on a very flat surface, they should lay perfectly flat. There is some blueing but not terrible. As for the gunk, I'd use a clean rag and just wipe it clean. That clutch is bathed in oil so it shouldn't be "stuck" on the surfaces warranting brake cleaner or such. I'm sure it will clean up fine with just a clean lintless rag. Remember to soak your new plates in oil as per manufacturer's specs. I forget for how long. Are you going with aftermarket springs or staying with the stockers?

3281d31d-95d2-3abf.jpg
New clutch cable....time to re-route....new and old (pic)

Back