Won't go past 60

DirtyD

So today I got to ride and basically first time since the mods, no performance mods just cosmetic...and as I was riding on the bypass it is 65mph, the bike will stop speeding at 60mph and will revv the RPM's after that

The RPM's do go all the way up fast but slowly rise up and you can hear it, and the bike will creep to 61 62 etc..and I noticed in any gear when I get to 5000 its jumps to 6000rpm's and then does the revving thing...any Ideas...please nothing majorly wrong!

I called the local dealers service and told them what was going on and yup, the clutch is toast, burned up, he said it happend when I changed my levers...and the price..duh duh duh...

labor = 130
parts = 240
total = a shitload

I don't think he was calling you stupid, just prefacing a very basic question so not to be called names himself. Just my take on it I could be wrong. Sorry about your clutch at least it's early in the season.

like I said I'm no mechanic but if I was to buy a clutch kit is that hard?....

this sucks tho he said it happend when I installed my levers and thats why it felt kinda tight on the clutch..so if i was to change the plates and springs is it fixed or is the lever gonna cause the same problem

like I said I'm no mechanic but if I was to buy a clutch kit is that hard?....

this sucks tho he said it happend when I installed my levers and thats why it felt kinda tight on the clutch..so if i was to change the plates and springs is it fixed or is the lever gonna cause the same problem

You'll need to adjust the clutch freeplay. There's an adjustment at the lever end where you can turn the threaded end of the cable sheath in or out. You'll want to turn it in until the clutch friction zone has moved back to normal. :tup: Installing the clutch itself is an intermediate job so you'll want to have some knowledge of what you are doing. Or a willing forum member close by with technical experience?

thanks Eric...I know about the dial...when I put the new levers on I messed with it and the only way the bike will shift is its all the way in...touching the lever...so where is normal?

thanks Eric...I know about the dial...when I put the new levers on I messed with it and the only way the bike will shift is its all the way in...touching the lever...so where is normal?

D, are you perfectly sure that your clutch is gone. I mean, how many miles are on the bike??? If it happened after the lever change, it could be something as simple as an adjustment. On the ride, did you smell anything funny or overly hot?? I would disconnect the entire setup on the clutch side and do it again slowly and precisely step by step. I bet it's out of adjustment.

All the way in and it still burned the clutch.... hmmmm... That is not normal. With adjustable levers, it typically would barely work at all with this turned in all the way. Not sure but something else sounds out of place.

In my thread yesterday "clutch problem"...I snapped a pic of the shift linkage loose off the rod.. could that have damaged something...because a first the bike would not shift into gear unless I turned the dial all the way in

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

It shouldn't have damaged anything. That arm never popped off the spline, did it? No changes to the rod between that arm and the shifter?

Can you snap a pic of the shifter and arm as it is now? A pic of the clutch lever and cable as it stands now? and a pic of the other side of the engine where the clutch arm is? Maybe we can spot something.

In my thread yesterday "clutch problem"...I snapped a pic of the shift linkage loose off the rod.. could that have damaged something...because a first the bike would not shift into gear unless I turned the dial all the way in

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

That's because your linkage was loose on the pinion yesterday being that it was missing the clamping bolt. Could you take a photo of the linkage again, but "head-on" and also the clutch cable at the engine case, and lastly at the clutch lever. 3 pictures could possible tell the story.

It shouldn't have damaged anything. That arm never popped off the spline, did it? No changes to the rod between that arm and the shifter?

Can you snap a pic of the shifter and arm as it is now? A pic of the clutch lever and cable as it stands now? and a pic of the other side of the engine where the clutch arm is? Maybe we can spot something.

HOLY CRAP! We're thinking alike this evening buddy!!!

That's because your linkage was loose on the pinion yesterday being that it was missing the clamping bolt. Could you take a photo of the linkage again, but "head-on" and also the clutch cable at the engine case, and lastly at the clutch lever. 3 pictures could possible tell the story.

Great minds think alike! :D That is way too eerie! ;) Good call Billy!!

Back