Official YZF Makeover Thread

I had brought the two rear body panels upstairs with me to #1, fix the crack on the left side panel, and #2 reinforce the areas surrounding the plugs that hold it on to the bike.

IMG_2603.jpg

I surrounded the plugs with plenty of epoxy so they should be good now.
IMG_2604.jpg

A better view of the mended crack. In the light I also noticed a tiny "line" coming off the initial crack so I reinforced that as well.
IMG_2605.jpg

I took a little alcohol and removed all the black spots from the chain grease shooting up under the tail. Why the previous owner had the chain guard removed is beyond me. The build-up of grime is astounding!

I love seeing threads like these. The beauty is that you see a nice old bike all cleaned up inside out. I would like to see all that rust gone too and that silver engine block all shiny and no greasy and grimey . .

Sorry to steal your photo but I see now where those two hoses go.

IMG_1652-1.jpg

No problem buddy :D Those are vent hoses and I don't know why they left them disconnected other than an obvious oversight as there is nothing to be gained from it. And yes the other four hoses with the little metal plugs are indeed for synchronizing the carbs. Makes it a pretty easy and straight forward job.

The EXUP Servo was intact thank God but no cables were present. Off to Ebay again I guess!
IMG_2584.jpg

Well one less thing to worry about since the servo motor is there. The cables will be a pain to run down to the EXUP valve as you have to route them between the engine case and the swing arm. Just clean and lube the EXUP valve when you get the headers and replace the bolts with ss ones so future maintenance will be a lot easier.

Good show Billy !! Great to see you and Richie enjoying yourselves , , ,,, and yes, I too am a fan of the gun metal color.

In fact, I just picked up a matching pair of COLT Python's from an elderly COLT collector. Ahh yes, , ,, In COLT's 'brilliant-royal- (gun metal) blue'.
Sweeeeet !!! :woot:

And now for a great surprise! My Black wheels, after a good cleaning, ARE ACTUALLY GUN METAL!!!!! Awesome!! I love that color!
IMG_2598.jpg

Those wheels look great in that color Billy! I always though the black/silver YZF1000 had black wheels like my red/white one. Once in a while you learn something new :)

That rim color with that paint will look good. I have been checking every day waiting to see what Richie does to that swingarm. I mean he did such a good job on the pipe it only makes sents he does the polisning.lol

That rim color with that paint will look good. I have been checking every day waiting to see what Richie does to that swingarm. I mean he did such a good job on the pipe it only makes sents he does the polisning.lol

Thanks bud. Unfortunately he has school and work so by the time he gets home it's homework first, but don't worry......he knows whats in store for him this weekend!!!!:sinister:

Here's my list of goodies that have been ordered. I think this covers everything that I will need...................

Stock Exhaust Headers with EXUP Valve ARRIVED

Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger

Yoshimura RS3 Stainless Steel Exhaust ARRIVED

Clip-ons Left And Right ARRIVED

(4) NGK Spark Plugs ARRIVED

48MM Fork Seal Driver ARRIVED

EXUP Servo Cables ARRIVED

Angled Valve Stem Set ARRIVED

Bridgestone 023's Front And Rear ARRIVED

Dynabeads 1oz. and 2oz. Packets ARRIVED

Superbike Grips ARRIVED

(4) Quarts Semi Synthetic Oil ARRIVED

K&N Oil Filter ARRIVED

5Wt. Fork Oil ARRIVED

Fork Seals, Metal Bushings, Dust Rings, Copper Washers ARRIVED

RK 530 Chain And Sprocket Conversion Kit 17/47 Gearing ARRIVED

Front Sprocket Lock Washer ARRIVED

DOT 4 Brake Fluid ARRIVED

That should about do it aside from a lot of time and elbow grease. I'm sure I'll find some things I missed as I go along with the rebuild but for now my main concern is cleaning the heck out of that engine and frame!

Last edited:
DOH!! Come on Lee! Why did you have to go and say that!? Darn!:shaking head: Must............Fight................the Temptation!!

I'll tempt you even more :D

S/S Brake Clutch Line Kit for Yamaha Thunderace 1000 | eBay

Even comes with a matching clutch line. Now you have to see if they'll ship to the US ;)

Also while you're at it some Ohlins fork springs might be in order. They have slightly heavier spring rate than the stock ones. I have them on my bike and the front end feels even better than it did stock. I also went with 7.5w oil instead of 5w oil.

I'll tempt you even more :D

S/S Brake Clutch Line Kit for Yamaha Thunderace 1000 | eBay

Even comes with a matching clutch line. Now you have to see if they'll ship to the US ;)

Also while you're at it some Ohlins fork springs might be in order. They have slightly heavier spring rate than the stock ones. I have them on my bike and the front end feels even better than it did stock. I also went with 7.5w oil instead of 5w oil.

Rats! What are you guys doing to me!!! I went with 5Wt but I have a quart of 10Wt at home so I can mix the two.

Parts Are Trickling In!

My first batch of items arrived at work today. The NGK's, DynaBeads, Fork Seal Driver, Angled Valve Stems, and the Fairing Brackets that I found I was missing one, are all here. The Yoshi RS-3 and my Bridgestone 023's are scheduled to be here tomorrow! This is exciting!

IMG_2613.jpg

Oh the parts collection is growing!

By the way I have the screws for you that go into those brackets. They are coated in a dark finish (almost black) so they blend in better with the black plastics.

Back