Official YZF Makeover Thread

Hey Buddy . . .

Will definitely do that! Was just waiting for you to get all the parts :)

Hey Billy, I got your note in the mail today. THANKS !!
Saaaaay , , , ,, if Tony can talk you into a more aggressive gear (ratio) change (when he comes over), I have a 16T (factory) front sprocket that I will send your way. I ran a 15/47 on my first FZ1 and absolutely LOVED the instant, eye-popping, rush of acceleration it provided !
If it will fit your engine and you want to try it on for size, I would be happy to drop it in the mail to you. . . . It looks like brand new yaknow, it was yours once ! heh,heh,heh
:cheers:

Saaaaay , , , ,, if Tony can talk you into a more aggressive gear (ratio) change (when he comes over), I have a 16T (factory) front sprocket that I will send your way. I ran a 15/47 on my first FZ1 and absolutely LOVED the instant, eye-popping, rush of acceleration it provided !
If it will fit your engine and you want to try it on for size, I would be happy to drop it in the mail to you. . . . It looks like brand new yaknow, it was yours once ! heh,heh,heh

Gary, unfortunately that sprocket wont fit the YZF. I recommended to Billy that he only go up 1 tooth in the back as this bike can get a little "buzzy" at higher RPMs. And trust me it's plenty strong with stock gearing. Power wheelies are not a problem :D

More "Goodies" arrived today! Some big pieces came to work today making me a happy camper! Just a few more and things will get rolling!!

New Yoshimura RS-3 Stainless w/ DB insert plus my EXUP Cables....
IMG_2616.jpg

Some sweet looking Bridgestone 023's from Dennis Kirk....
IMG_2617.jpg

Last night I repaired a small missing section of the rear tab on the side body panel. I just have to file it flat and she'll be good as new.
IMG_2618.jpg

Then I surrounded the two mounting pegs with gobs of high strength epoxy as per Tony's suggestion. They aren't going anywhere now!
IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

My Buddy loaned me a sweet electric high output heater so I'll be down in the garage nice and warm bright and early tomorrow for the start of the big clean-up! Some great photos to follow tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned!

Thanks Gary, as Tony said, the sprocket won't work on the YZF but not to worry cause I have an entire 530 Conversion kit coming to me on Monday. I'll be running 17/47 gearing on the bike. With only a 5 speed transmission, that should be just fine.

Wish this was all taking place in the Busted Knuckle Garage! ;) Billy will make this become a head-turner for sure! :tup: Great start on a cool project!

Hello all. The stock exhaust headers came today. I have to say that for their age they are in terrific shape. I'm going to soak the EXUP Valve cover with penetrating oil and let it sit a couple of days before I mess with it. I have decided to go the "Header Paint" route rather than ceramic coating them. They are pretty "smooth" already so just some light sanding and I'll spray them black. They should look great!

IMG_2648.jpg

EXUP Valve
IMG_2649.jpg

The Mid-Pipe section is super smooth and still has it's black color to it.
IMG_2650.jpg

As soon as the photos from today's grueling 8-1/2 hours are finished uploading I'll post them up!

Last edited:
I can officially say that you can now EAT off my rear end!!

I first want to say thanks to my buddy Sal, who lent me his Presto Heater. This thing really puts out heat, and the best part is that it uses the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb.
IMG_2631.jpg

I got downstairs at 7am sharp and didn't leave until 3:20pm. I didn't get as much done as I wanted but it seems that the dirt and grime was just overabundant in the rear of the bike and I figured to just be patient and take my time. I still have plenty of time to finish so I may as well do it right.

My first order of business was to remove the battery tray/ undertail section. It meant disconnecting a bunch of things but it was worth it cause it made cleaning the rear of the bike that much easier.
IMG_2623.jpg

The rear light assembly, shock reservoir, battery, relays, and ECU all had to be removed first.
IMG_2624.jpg

After that the tray just slips out from the bottom.
IMG_2625.jpg

From this angle you could see just how much grime was present because the P.O. ran the bike without the chain guard.
IMG_2626.jpg

Everything was "kicked up" everywhere on the left side of the bike.
IMG_2627.jpg

After a quick grinding on the chain, the old 532 was history!
IMG_2628.jpg

I wasn't a happy camper when I looked into the front case. This was gonna take some time!
IMG_2629.jpg

I removed the rearset and kickstand to make cleaning easier and also to clean the sidestand switch real good.
IMG_2633.jpg

This was just some of what fell out from the front sprocket section, and thats without removing the cover!
IMG_2632.jpg

Here's the rearset, chain guide, and rear axle assembly waiting to be cleaned.
IMG_2634.jpg

I figured that while the battery was out I might as well give it a good charge. I hooked up the connector that Gary sent me and before long she was "in the green" again!
IMG_2635.jpg

I started with the tail section and cleaned up every piece of dirt I could find. If I learned anything today it was that "Kerosene is your friend".
IMG_2637.jpg

And so after 8-1/2 hours sitting in the garage, here is the fruits of my labor! You can now eat off this rear end!
IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

Chain Guide all cleaned up.
IMG_2643.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

I was going to remove the front cover to remove the front sprocket but after removing all the bolts she still wouldn't budge. So I figured I'd wait to look at the manual and try again tomorrow. Even after removing the clutch slave it was still on there solid, so I must be missing something.
IMG_2646.jpg

So that was all for today but I was very pleased with my progress. I have plenty of time to finish and I am way ahead of schedule. I'll be back at it tomorrow for round two of the "Big Clean-up"! Thanks for looking. I had a ball today!

Hello all. The stock exhaust headers came today. I have to say that for their age they are in terrific shape. I'm going to soak the EXUP Valve cover with penetrating oil and let it sit a couple of days before I mess with it. I have decided to go the "Header Paint" route rather than ceramic coating them. They are pretty "smooth" already so just some light sanding and I'll spray them black. They should look great!

EXUP Valve
IMG_2649.jpg

Billy looks like all the EXUP components are there with the exception on the cover that I told you to pick up. Soak everything good and then replace all six of those bolts with stainless steel ones so future maintenance of the EXUP valve will be a breeze. If you have access to a wire brush just give the valve a good cleaning when you take it all apart, but be gentle with the bushings as they are bronze. Hi-temp flat black paint will hold up fine and will make it easy to touch up in the future. Would be great if you could get them sandblasted some place before painting...

Mmmhhhhh , , , , ,

Looking spiffy my NY friend ! Not a bad day's work. You will be done detailing before you know it . . . ..:cheers:

Ohh, ohh, thanks for the pics ! I love watching people work. heh,heh,hee-hee been there, done that. What FUN !!!!! :yes:

I was going to remove the front cover to remove the front sprocket but after removing all the bolts she still wouldn't budge. So I figured I'd wait to look at the manual and try again tomorrow. Even after removing the clutch slave it was still on there solid, so I must be missing something.

IMG_2646.jpg

Wow Billy great job on the clean up!!! Reminds me of when I did the same to my YZF, but yours actually cleaned up better than mine, probably due to the lower mileage.

As for the sprocket cover there's a gasket behind it and that might explain why it didn't want to come off. Might have needed some persuasion from a rubber mallet ;)

Back