Official YZF Makeover Thread

Wow Billy great job on the clean up!!! Reminds me of when I did the same to my YZF, but yours actually cleaned up better than mine, probably due to the lower mileage.

As for the sprocket cover there's a gasket behind it and that might explain why it didn't want to come off. Might have needed some persuasion from a rubber mallet ;)

Okay, so I removed all the cover bolts and all the bolts on the clutch slave. I looked as closely as I could and didn't see anymore bolts. Now, is the gasket reuseable or should I order one from Partshark now??? Thanks bud!

Billy looks like all the EXUP components are there with the exception on the cover that I told you to pick up. Soak everything good and then replace all six of those bolts with stainless steel ones so future maintenance of the EXUP valve will be a breeze. If you have access to a wire brush just give the valve a good cleaning when you take it all apart, but be gentle with the bushings as they are bronze. Hi-temp flat black paint will hold up fine and will make it easy to touch up in the future. Would be great if you could get them sandblasted some place before painting...

Believe it or not, the camera makes them look worse than they are. I think with my drill and a soft wire wheel, these things will clean up good as new. Yeah, I have the copper grease and all from when I did the FZ1's valve. Tomorrow I'll send Richie to Pep Boys to pick up the paint.

Okay, so I removed all the cover bolts and all the bolts on the clutch slave. I looked as closely as I could and didn't see anymore bolts. Now, is the gasket reuseable or should I order one from Partshark now??? Thanks bud!

Get a new one Billy, you're in there may as well, gaskets are inexpensive. Pick up some Yamabond too. The Honda gasket goo is good too.

Hey, I'm a poet, and didn't know it!

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Well you might as well pick up a new one. From what I remember it wasn't that expensive and I really doubt the stock one will come out in one piece. You will actually need part numbers 9 and 10 in the diagram below:

attachment.php

Well you might as well pick up a new one. From what I remember it wasn't that expensive and I really doubt the stock one will come out in one piece. You will actually need part numbers 9 and 10 in the diagram below:

attachment.php

I thought so too but thats not the cover. I thought it was #9 as well but thats the engine case cover with that circular small cover with three bolts holding it. Thats not the cover with the clutch slave attached to it. At least I think I'm seeing it right????

Parts are ordered! Boy, that guy at Partshark is gonna kill me! He has refunded the shipping 3 times already because of my add-ons. This will be my fourth one! They are very nice about it though. I love that place!!!!:yes:

:wow: That is some nice cleaning. I need to learn the tricks about cleaning grungy, cruddy and grimey parts. Remind, me why did you pick up the stock headers when you had a full system?

Okay, first I'll let you in on my secret.......KEROSENE! I'm telling you, nothing short of sandblasting or power washing disolves gunk and grime like kerosene. When I tell you that you only pour a small amount in your rag and wipe, thats it! The dirt just melts away without having to rub hard at all. It's amazing.

Next, full system..... The V&H system that's on there is pretty old. The can is blown out and sounds like crap. After looking at the bank of carbs, it doesn't look like they jetted the bike after installing the full system, which is partly why it ran like crap when I first started it. I could have maybe repacked the can but never really liked the V&H cans to begin with so I decided I wanted to go back to a stock system with the EXUP installed and run my Yoshi RS-3 instead. I have all the parts here to do it. Then before I do anything, I'll be bringing the bike to Ivan's to clean the carbs, install the proper jet kit, and tune the bike. Then I only need to come home, install the bodywork, and start enjoying the hell out of it!!!

Holy cow! Billy you do awesome work. If the aches get to be too bad and you need some more snake oil let me know.

I wished I was closer to get in on the work with ya.

Great Job!! No bike could have found a better owner, I swear if it could talk.

There is almost a Peace at Heart watching you care for thesse things the way you do. Your a god send to bikes in need of love.

If you need anything let me know.
:shine:
Take care.

Holy cow! Billy you do awesome work. If the aches get to be too bad and you need some more snake oil let me know.

I wished I was closer to get in on the work with ya.

Great Job!! No bike could have found a better owner, I swear if it could talk.

There is almost a Peace at Heart watching you care for thesse things the way you do. Your a god send to bikes in need of love.

If you need anything let me know.
:shine:
Take care.

Thanks my brother! I actually used the "snake oil" yesterday and today. It takes the "edge" off. I gotta say that there is nothing more enjoyable for me than to sit for hours cleaning these bikes up. It doesn't feel like work to me at all. I learn as I go along and when I'm stuck I'm fortunate to have Tony at my disposal. He has been my "go to" guy on this rebuild. I feel bad for bothering him so much but he's been through the whole thing with his and knows his stuff when it comes to YZF's among other things. It would be sweet to have you hang out with me and Rich one day. Any weekend you want to take the two hour jaunt just let me know. The garage is kind of cramp quarters but it's not too bad. Thanks again pal. Say hello to Linda and Ryan, Mom and Dad, on behalf of Richie and I. I'll be coming by soon enough to see you guys again! Have a great weekend and thanks for the kind words.

Okay, first I'll let you in on my secret.......KEROSENE! I'm telling you, nothing short of sandblasting or power washing disolves gunk and grime like kerosene. When I tell you that you only pour a small amount in your rag and wipe, thats it! The dirt just melts away without having to rub hard at all. It's amazing.

Next, full system..... The V&H system that's on there is pretty old. The can is blown out and sounds like crap. After looking at the bank of carbs, it doesn't look like they jetted the bike after installing the full system, which is partly why it ran like crap when I first started it. I could have maybe repacked the can but never really liked the V&H cans to begin with so I decided I wanted to go back to a stock system with the EXUP installed and run my Yoshi RS-3 instead. I have all the parts here to do it. Then before I do anything, I'll be bringing the bike to Ivan's to clean the carbs, install the proper jet kit, and tune the bike. Then I only need to come home, install the bodywork, and start enjoying the hell out of it!!!

Oh yeah, the good ol Kerosene. I used it once to clean the chain and I could actually see some sparkle in it! Kerosene was the only known sure shot cleaning ingredient I knew when I was growing up. We used to use diesel to clean the tar and crap on the cars though.

Back