Official YZF Makeover Thread

Oh, no Pete. Sorry, I should have explained. These aren't the stock bars. They have a rise in them and also come back a little. Tony installed the same and says it makes it much more comfortable. I should have said that.

Thanks Arnold. I'm sorry that I have no updates other than getting my Clip-ons today. I had a side job that entailed me leaving the house at 3:30am this morning with 3 hours sleep (damn insomnia!), because the bar/restaurant was opening at 11:30am and we had to replace the entire "bar top" after ripping out the 40 year old existing one by that time. I felt like crap when I got home. At least I was a couple of hundred dollars richer when I got there! I promise that tomorrow is going to be a banging day! Harbor Freight at 9am in Jersey, and then into the garage until the Superbowl starts. Here are the Clip-ons that Tony found for me....as usual! I don't know what I'd do without his bloodhound tendancies!

Also heading down to CycleGear in Edison. Going to use my $25.00 dollar gift card that Peter1968 sent me last XMas. It winds up that they have the front fork stands on sale 50% off! Regularly $89.99 on sale for $44.99 less my card makes that $20 bucks for it!!!! Can't beat that! They also have the Stockton Brake Bleeding Kit on sale for $39.95. If I'm there I'll pick up all my fluids as well. Gonna be a great day!

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Bill, I have the Cyclegear Trackside stands front and rear, I like them better than my Pit Bull satnds. I have been using them on the 999, I really like how narrow the front stand is.

Bill, I have the Cyclegear Trackside stands front and rear, I like them better than my Pit Bull satnds. I have been using them on the 999, I really like how narrow the front stand is.

Funny you mentioned Trackside Pete! I just got home from Jersey with a boat load of goodies! Thanks so much for the gift card! That Trackside Front Stand cost me $20 bucks! Regular price $89.99. You can't beat that price anywhere. Here's some other things I picked up as well ON SALE mind you....
Semi synthetic oil for $6.49 a quart, shop towels for $1.49 each, K&N filter for $13.99, Wheel chock for the trailer $24.99, Stockton Brake Bleeder Set for $39.95, and because I spent over a certain amount, I got the T-Handle Hex Set for $12.00 bucks. I picked up a new set of Superbike Grips in my favorite color! Thanks again Pete!

IMG_2563.jpg

Now I'm headed downstairs for a tear-down marathon. I'll be back up in time for kick-off!!!..........with progress pics of course!

See Ya!!

Billy, be CAREFUL with the plastic today. When Brady starts throwing points on the board, I don't want you snapping parts in half! ;)

Oh! I forgot your a New Englander!!! Hahaha!!! I'll make sure to NOT watch until I'm done and all is secure! Good luck to both teams....if that's possible?? I only hope it's a good game.:party0011:

Nice haul from HF Billy. :tup: I have two of those chocks. Great for the price! Looking forward to some pics of the teardown/progress. :yes:

Funny you mentioned Trackside Pete! I just got home from Jersey with a boat load of goodies! Thanks so much for the gift card! That Trackside Front Stand cost me $20 bucks! Regular price $89.99. You can't beat that price anywhere. Here's some other things I picked up as well ON SALE mind you....
Semi synthetic oil for $6.49 a quart, shop towels for $1.49 each, K&N filter for $13.99, Wheel chock for the trailer $24.99, Stockton Brake Bleeder Set for $39.95, and because I spent over a certain amount, I got the T-Handle Hex Set for $12.00 bucks. I picked up a new set of Superbike Grips in my favorite color! Thanks again Pete!

IMG_2563.jpg

Now I'm headed downstairs for a tear-down marathon. I'll be back up in time for kick-off!!!..........with progress pics of course!

See Ya!!

WOW, is the CG sale still on? It expired like a month back...

Billy, was there something wrong with the ones that came on the bike?

Pete those are actually Heli bars for the YZF600 and YZF1000. They have been discontinued for years, but I spotted them and passed the info on to Billy. The seller thought they were just regular bars, but the change in position (up and back) make the bike even more comfortable :)

IMG_2563.jpg

See Ya!!

Nice haul you got there from Cycle Gear. Can't wait until you get the bike on the road so we can do some riding. Imagine two '97 YZF1000's together. It will be quite a site :D

Progress Made!!!

Okay, it took a few hours but I'm finally back upstairs. It went pretty smooth, only one call to Tony for some info but the rest went smoothly. If found some surprises but nothing too bad. Here it goes...............

The new stands got her up off the ground nicely
IMG_2565.jpg

Richie started on the fairings while I turned to the rear. As you can see now in this shot, the bike is not tweaked. It must have been the angle of the previous photo.
IMG_2566.jpg

After a quick call to Tony the rear bodywork came off quickly.
IMG_2567.jpg

The lowers were the next to come off.
IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

Just how much cleaning I need to do is evident in these next photos...
IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

The front fairing came off with just a few snags. It was somewhat tricky.
IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

Another dirty engine pic.
IMG_2576.jpg

All the fluids were disgusting!
IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

Next to go was the rear wheel. You want to talk about grime! This is what happens when you ride a bike without a chain guard!!!!
IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Now for the questions. I found these two hoses under the gas tank NOT connected to anything but remarkably labelled "AIR/CARB". Not entirely sure what these are for.
IMG_2582.jpg

They go down to this component which I have to refer to the manual to see what it is.
IMG_2583.jpg

The EXUP Servo was intact thank God but no cables were present. Off to Ebay again I guess!
IMG_2584.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another shot of the two hoses that were going to nothing.
IMG_2586.jpg

The carbs didn't look that bad but I decided that once everything is done I'm bringing the bike naked to Ivan's for him to work his magic. I spoke to him already and he has everything for these carbs. I want this bike to be reliable and trouble free so it's worth the extra couple of dollars. I'd like to have it dyno'd after its all done as well.
IMG_2587.jpg

I'm assuming that these hoses with the caps must be the taps to do the synching.
IMG_2588.jpg

The fuel pump looks good and works fine. I just need to clean everything and change the filter.
IMG_2589.jpg

The ignition coils look to be in good order as well.
IMG_2590.jpg

These are two plugs between the first and fourth carbs that had nothing attached to them. I believe that the two hoses go here because if you route them up to the carbs they meet each nozzle perfectly and are the same size.
IMG_2587.jpg

Here's a close up of the two nozzles.
IMG_2592.jpg

The ECU is a little dirty and will be cleaned up too.
IMG_2593.jpg

Richie removed the rear sprocket which will be replaced.
IMG_2594.jpg

The wheel bearings and Cush Drive are all good. They just need to be greased.
IMG_2595.jpg

And now for a great surprise! My Black wheels, after a good cleaning, ARE ACTUALLY GUN METAL!!!!! Awesome!! I love that color!
IMG_2598.jpg

And here are all my body panels hanging up safely.
IMG_2599.jpg

So that's all for today. Next week's installment will include the header removal, engine cleaning, and rear swingarm degreasing. I sprayed the header bolts with a liberal amount of penetrating oil so they will remove without incident. I have the cracked tail panel up here with me to do the epoxy fix which I'll post tomorrow. Thanks all for looking!

It must have been very humid where the bike was stored. I am not used to seeing rust like that, even on older machines. Of course I am a bit of a clean freak so my stuff never has a chance to get like that. I am sure after all the work that you and Ritchie will put into it It will look like it should. Especially when your helper has his eye on it.:deal:

By the way the color of the wheels is great.

Thanks Lee. Me and Rich had a blast today, just father and son hanging out in the garage. I know, I was sick to my stomach looking at how the guy kept his bike. The way I am I know it's going to be a month of cleaning before I'm satisfied with putting it together again. I'm too anal to button things up with the bike looking the way it does.

The only way to truely know what you have is to break it down the way you are, you will have the bike looking like new before you know it at this pace. I ran into a few snags early on with the Daytoina as well, I had a couple oil leaks and devloped a collant leak nothing major but a pain to fix.

The 675 has the same color wheels I really like the color also. Can't wait to see it finished!

My guess on the mystery hoses, and block they go into, is crankcase gas re-cycler, emissions stuff. Long time since I saw an external fuel pump.

Back