Official YZF Makeover Thread

Billy, that is a great start for this build! Kudos to Tony for locating the bike. :yes:

Now, for my big concern. Looking at the shot for the rear, straight on? It appears to me from the picture that the tail and subframe are a bit off to the right. I'm hoping it is just a deceptive photo angle but if you line up the swingarm, the undertail and then look at the grips and windscreen, well, the tail looks off. Just me???

Regardless, you've got a lot of bike for little money. Glad to see you didn't have to miss a season!

Subscribed to this to watch the progress.

Which magazine will this bike be in? Enjoy the rebuild, then enjoy the ride. You deserve it. Congrats. She is a beauty and stands the test of time. :tup:

Billy, that is a great start for this build! Kudos to Tony for locating the bike. :yes:

Now, for my big concern. Looking at the shot for the rear, straight on? It appears to me from the picture that the tail and subframe are a bit off to the right. I'm hoping it is just a deceptive photo angle but if you line up the swingarm, the undertail and then look at the grips and windscreen, well, the tail looks off. Just me???

Yea, Billy asked me about that earlier today, but I think it's just an optical illusion due to the angle of the bike and having the handle bars turned.

Regardless, you've got a lot of bike for little money. Glad to see you didn't have to miss a season!

Subscribed to this to watch the progress.

I thought it was tweaked too. It's funny you said that. I'm going to check it out though when I get a chance.

I thought it was tweaked too. It's funny you said that. I'm going to check it out though when I get a chance.

You can see the rear subframe here on my bike. It would take a big drop to bend it and I would think you would have noticed other things wrong as well if that was the case:

attachment.php

You can see the rear subframe here on my bike. It would take a big drop to bend it and I would think you would have noticed other things wrong as well if that was the case:

attachment.php

I think your right buddy. I'm not worried about it. I'm pretty sure that if it was hit hard enough to bend the tail section, my bodywork would be trashed. There is not one sign on anything that it was ever dropped.

Good to know but just wanted Billy to be SAFE on this bike. It could have been crashed once and all parts replaced though. You'll know when you get all the plastic off anyway.

The bike still looks very good for being 15 years old and we all know that you will make this bad boy a showroom bike in no time. Just what you've done already has my WOW! factor going!

Keep the pics coming!

Well, I'd like to thank Gary (Pilot8127), for the great Vortex Stand which came today at work! A very nice piece indeed! This means that Saturday the rear wheel will be removed and clean-up started on the chain, swingarm, shock, and anything else I'm able to reach. Thanks Gary! Your a lifesaver buddy. :cheers:

IMG_2538.jpg

Well, I'd like to thank Gary (Pilot8127), for the great Vortex Stand which came today at work! A very nice piece indeed! This means that Saturday the rear wheel will be removed and clean-up started on the chain, swingarm, shock, and anything else I'm able to reach. Thanks Gary! Your a lifesaver buddy. :cheers:

IMG_2538.jpg

Hey no problem my friend !! Glad to be of help and I know you'll put 'er to good use. That is a cool pic. It looks better there with you (in use) than just hanging on my wall gathering dust . . . .heh,heh

Oh that will come in handy for sure Billy! No center stand on this bike...

I have front and rear Pitbull stands and they are great!

Without a center stand, these are pretty much a necessity. The only other option is the hoist. ;) Gary, that was GREAT of you to help out Billy with this. Kudos!!!

Ok Billy... time to get to work. Did you get all the plastics off the bike yet? No new pics?

Without a center stand, these are pretty much a necessity. The only other option is the hoist. ;) Gary, that was GREAT of you to help out Billy with this. Kudos!!!

Ok Billy... time to get to work. Did you get all the plastics off the bike yet? No new pics?

I actually will be working a half day tomorrow, but as soon as I get home I will have alll the plastics off plus a bunch of other stuff. Also, I have a bunch of goodies coming soon thanks to Tony, my YZF Guru! Pics tomorrow evenin.

Thanks Arnold. I'm sorry that I have no updates other than getting my Clip-ons today. I had a side job that entailed me leaving the house at 3:30am this morning with 3 hours sleep (damn insomnia!), because the bar/restaurant was opening at 11:30am and we had to replace the entire "bar top" after ripping out the 40 year old existing one by that time. I felt like crap when I got home. At least I was a couple of hundred dollars richer when I got there! I promise that tomorrow is going to be a banging day! Harbor Freight at 9am in Jersey, and then into the garage until the Superbowl starts. Here are the Clip-ons that Tony found for me....as usual! I don't know what I'd do without his bloodhound tendancies!

Also heading down to CycleGear in Edison. Going to use my $25.00 dollar gift card that Peter1968 sent me last XMas. It winds up that they have the front fork stands on sale 50% off! Regularly $89.99 on sale for $44.99 less my card makes that $20 bucks for it!!!! Can't beat that! They also have the Stockton Brake Bleeding Kit on sale for $39.95. If I'm there I'll pick up all my fluids as well. Gonna be a great day!

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Last edited:
Back