Yessss!!!

EUREKA!!!!

The 18" wheel is the WIN!!!! No more floppy,chopper handling. :thewave:

WOOOOTTT!!!!

Oh and today the turn signals work fine today.....:eyebrow:

Now Front End Part 2 or 3 begins.

1) new front tire
2) new brake pads and rotors
3) Race Tech; springs, emulator, and fork seals.

Then...

Fitting the FJ600 wheel on the back

I'm happy to report she ran 40 miles today with no problems at all! She's a very nice bike to ride. The 18" wheel makes all the difference in the world.

The dudes at Cycle Gear had a Dunlop D404 in stock, not the Avon that is on the 19" wheel, but I really wanted to ride today.

The brakes are still terrible. Hopefully the adapters will be done soon and I can put the FZ1 calipers on her.

This was the first real ride I've done and it was a lot of fun. She makes great noises, good pull, and actually handles well.

Oh, did I mention, the brakes are still terrible?

View attachment 12440

Those brake discs look just like the ones on my FZ600. :) Are those calipers two piston?

I've got the original calipers, HH pads, original master and some HEL lines and find the brakes powerful enough. The feel is similar to that of wood but the power is reasonable. I'm sure the FZ is a couple hundred pounds lighter, though.

Loving this project :)

I bet the discs are the same Dustin, these are off an '84 FJ600. The calipers are SINGLE piston! The MC is a new retro 1970's dual caliper one. I think the FZ1 MC or the Tuono V4R MC will solve the problem.

I ordered new EBC rotors and pads today.

I also ordered Race Tech springs and emulators.

Tomorrow I'll JB Weld my "custom" wheel spacers to the speedo drive, and the front wheel spacer.

The rear wheel will be rear challenge. I'll need to weld a stop in the swingarm,and figure out the sprocket spacing.

A little more progress this weekend.

Installed:

1) Race Tech .85 springs, Progressive Suspension OUT!
2) Race Tech emulators
3) Fork Brace
4) Moved forks up another 10mm, 20mm total
5) Preload set at 20mm
6) Static sag is about 25mm
7) EBC rotors, pads, and new Yamaha rotor bolts installed. Perfect! Rotors save another .45 lbs off the front wheel!
8) Renthal Road, Ultra Low Bars, very nice. The clubmans are fun but too low

Overall the front end is rock solid.

Still need to receive the steering damper, and install the FZ1 front MC.

Last edited:
I like the look of the clubman you had on it. how do the new ones look? do you have a photo of them?

If I can get the work on the bars done tonight I'll take a photo. Currently the grips are off, cables and wires going all directions, a bit of a mess.

They look like a low superbike bar.

Hopefully over the long weekend I can trial fit the FJ600 rear wheel. If I can pull that rabbit out of my hat I should save another 5 to 10 lbs.

Even though the weight is coming off the bike, maybe 17 to 22 lbs by now, it is still HEAVY.

Okay Stretch. here you go.

I found that I'm in between cable sizes, too short for one routing, too long for another. After several tries I found a compromise.

Also installed the new EBC pads. I love the feel of brand new pads in brand new rotors! I need to bleed the brakes one more time. I had it pretty good but then I needed to readjust the brake lines and lost the good bleed. Oh well.

The FZ1 MC provides much better feel than the old one.

The over all position of the bike is great. I think I could ride it all day, except for the saddle. That needs professional help.

Oh, and now my bar end mirrors don't fit. If it's not one thing, it's another...

View attachment 12493

View attachment 12494

View attachment 12495

View attachment 12496

Back