New Yamaha Project???

XV Mods

I like the stock, Dunstall-style exhaust. MAC makes a performance exhaust for the XV.
I installed a K&N, may go with a single carb set-up at some point.
A more modern fork would be nice. The R shock works fine with the Progressive Spring & a few pounds of air.

The bike is long & heavy & corners like it is on rails, but it does not flick side-to-side very well!

Found a MAC 2/1 exhaust. The stocker is 25 lbs. I'm not crazy about the muffler. I might see if I can find a period Kerker can.

Between the exhaust and the battery I figure I can drop 20 to 25 lbs.

The YZ swingarm is due in this week too.

The only problem I'm having is getting the countershaft sprocket cover off without removing the left side case over. I know it sounds crazy but the case over overlaps the countershaft cover, no problem but a rearset bolt make it impossible to remove. Well...at least for me at this point.

Front tire arrived too. Avon AM26, looks like a nice tire. :)

View attachment 12204

I like the stock, Dunstall-style exhaust. MAC makes a performance exhaust for the XV.
I installed a K&N, may go with a single carb set-up at some point.
A more modern fork would be nice. The R shock works fine with the Progressive Spring & a few pounds of air.

The bike is long & heavy & corners like it is on rails, but it does not flick side-to-side very well!

I've got PS fork springs on order, Race Tech emulators and a fork brace would go a long way too.

The shock looks pretty good. I need to make sure it holds air.

I've seen the single carb set up mentioned on Virago Tech. Is that for styling, or for performance? What carb is used?

Thanks!

Last edited:
XV Project

Pete,
Look through the "Perfomance" section of the Virago Forum. Sort through the crackpots & find the practical stuff that works. There is a Europeon TR-1forum, but not in English.
There is a premade 2 into one set-up with a jetted 40mm Mikuni for $600 claiming to increase performance & ridability.
Fork brace is next for me.
Paul

Well I made some headway this week.

New Avon Roadrider tires installed. They appear to be a very nice nice tire.

Kept cleaning; I still have many more hours of de-grunging remaining. I'm going to shift gears and use chain cleaner to spray parts down. I'm also tempted to buy a HF parts cleaner.

Received the MAC 2:1 exhaust. Nothing fancy, just mild steel, and a chrome muffler.

My bottle neck is waiting for parts from Yamaha and Bike Bandit; exhaust gaskets, exhaust nuts, brake pads/shoes/lines, cables, fork seals, etc, etc.

The BMW shock is still in route too. Taking USPS 10 days to get it from SAC to OKC...

I've still got a few ideas I'm mulling over.

1) Front wheel, I have an '84 FJ600 18" on the way. I think the rotor size is the same as the XV, 265mm (tiny). The 18" wheel is much wider, 1.85" vs. 2.15".

2) Bars, I think I'm going to remove the standard bar, slide the forks up about 1.75" and mount clip-ons on the top. With the 18" wheel, and the drop, rake and trail will increase. Wheel first, then clip-on, one thing at a time. I don't want to make too many changes at once as I want the bike to perform well.

3) Rear wheel/rear end, I'd like to install a matching FJ600 Rear Wheel but that presents a host of challenges. a) how to convert from drum to disc brake, b) how to convert the enclosed 630 chain, to an exposed 530 chain, c) making the correct spacers. The main reason I want to change this out is for a wider wheel. 2.15" vs. 2.50" With that I can easily run a 130mm tire, maybe a 140mm. The good thing is Avon makes lots of sizes for vintage bikes.

Opening enclosed countershaft assembly

View attachment 12230

Massive size of sprocket

View attachment 12231

View of subframe/airbox/swingarm pivot. Pretty cool engineering really.

View attachment 12232

NO visible wear on sprocket. I assume this is the original one.

View attachment 12233

Clean, clean, clean

View attachment 12234

Clean some more...

View attachment 12235

Last edited:
Pete,
Look through the "Perfomance" section of the Virago Forum. Sort through the crackpots & find the practical stuff that works. There is a Europeon TR-1forum, but not in English.
There is a premade 2 into one set-up with a jetted 40mm Mikuni for $600 claiming to increase performance & ridability.
Fork brace is next for me.
Paul

Thanks Paul. Lots of good info there. I just wish it was organized a little better and had more "how to" stickies.

Looking great!

Shame I missed the tire conversation, I would have recommended the Pirelli Sport Demons. Awesome tire for vintage bikes :)

I'm getting there Billy. I found 530 Sprockets from an XS650 that will work.

This project requires a lot of problem solving, kind of fun.

It's a fun project; however I need got a parts cleaner. Chain cleaner, Orange Cleaner, and blue paper towels are not cutting the mustard.

I'm getting there Billy. I found 530 Sprockets from an XS650 that will work.

This project requires a lot of problem solving, kind of fun.

It's a fun project; however I need got a parts cleaner. Chain cleaner, Orange Cleaner, and blue paper towels are not cutting the mustard.

I'm telling you, go get yourself a 1/2 Gallon of White Kerosene from any hardware store and a few Brass Wire Brushes. The Kerosene will clean parts like no citris cleaner can. The YZF had caked in grime like I had never seen before and it cleaned it up with very little elbow grease. After your all done just nuetralize it with a soap and water clean-up.

Good progress today.

1) Parts cleaner from Northern Tool. Much better, still slow as you can't buy real solvent anymore...

2) Space heater hung, just need one for the other side of the garage...

3) Front calipers cleaned, OEM brake lines removed, mirrors removed...

4) Won FJ600 rear wheel won, $30.00! Just need to by cush drive and rear disc...

5) About 30 nuts, bolts, and screws soaking on "Green" solvent...

NT solvent tank, without solvent, green "stuff"

View attachment 12237

New ceramic space heater, totally rocks!

View attachment 12238

Nasty a%% brake fluid!

View attachment 12239

XV920 MC vs. FZ1 MC....

View attachment 12240

Looking great!

Shame I missed the tire conversation, I would have recommended the Pirelli Sport Demons. Awesome tire for vintage bikes :)

Yup, just put them on my sons '87 Interceptor. Transformed that bike! LOVE them!!!

Also Pete, check out this place when you need OEM parts sometime. EXTREMELY cheap, but sometimes it takes an extra day or 2 for them to ship for some reason... Worth it for the price most of the time...

PowersportsPlus.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP

Man you aren't kidding, their prices are amazing! I also like how they present the parts, mixed with OEM and Aftermarket. It makes it very easy for a one stop shop.

I paid $83 for the fork springs, they have them for $63!

Well now I know, thanks again!

Box of goodies arrived from Bike Bandit today; fork springs, fork oil, brake pads/shoes, clubman bars, Motion Pro cables, grips, and brake lines. And of course the brake lines are "universal." Universal as in, "universally don't fit anything." Ugh...That's okay I'll focus on the rear brakes, and drive train for now.

I'm still waiting on all of my Yamaha parts, fork seals, and exhaust nuts/gaskets. Curse you Columbus Day!!!

Last edited:
The BMW R1200GS shock arrived yesterday. It's made by Showa and is of outstanding quality, too bad the FZ doesn't come with one of these. The length is spot on, and I can mod the lower bushing to fit the larger Yamaha bolt, however I think the upper bushing is too small. The BMW bushing assembly is much smaller and I can't drill it out like the lower one. I've got $170 into the shock so I think I'm going to step back and think about this before I sink anymore money into it. That said if I can get this to work it should be a very good solution. The shock has remove preload, and compression and rebound damping. All I'll need is the correct spring weight.

Oh, and some Yamaha parts shipped. :) Hopefully this weekend I can make some big gains.

Lots of progress yesterday and today. The rearend is back on, exhaust on, All Balls steering bearings are in, both fork legs have new seals and Progressive Suspension fork springs.

Tomorrow I'll fit the front wheel and work in the cables and wires. If all goes well I'll get a ride in tomorrow night.

Stock exhaust on the left, 32mm' MAC Exhaust on the right, 43mm!

View attachment 12296

Headers installed

View attachment 12297

This was a pain to figure out how to install

View attachment 12298

New rear brake shoes vs. old. These are probably 30 years old.

View attachment 12299

View attachment 12300

Here's a few more photos from today.

Wires, wires, wires...

View attachment 12301

More wires. Makes you really appreciate today's solid state electronics..

View attachment 12302

Setting the All Balls Race and Bearing on the Steer tube. Used a 1 1/4" pipe from HD

View attachment 12303

Where I left off tonight. Tomorrow I'll see if I can fit the 18" FJ600 wheel. I suspect the spacers will not be correct, but you never know! If I can make it fit I'll need a new tire, wheel bearings and some luck with the brakes. The FJ600 brakes arrived yesterday. They are night and day from the XV brakes.

View attachment 12304

Back