New Yamaha Project???

About tha saddle? that bike would look nice with a solo seat and a cafe racer style tail.

Great question, I'm not sure yet, I've been so focused on the front end.

A cafe seat could work, or I was thinking I could have the seat reshaped. Make is less stepped in back, and "trimmed inwards" from the base of the saddle towards the top. Right now it feels like a big block to me. I also need to find a solution for the grab handle. It's pretty prominent.

Right now I'm moving slowly. I've had lots of starts and stops, and burned a bit more money than I planned. (Make a budget and add 50%, right???)

The next focus is the rear wheel. IF I can make the FJ600 wheel work, I think the handling change will be as significant as the front wheel change.

Then in the dead of winter I'll send the carbs off for a rebuild, and tuning.

Once all of this is done, it may look more or less stock, but the level of performance will be much better than stock. :)

Last edited:
Well, well, well. The Postman brought Christmas today! The All Balls rear wheel bearings arrived, and most importantly, the RD500LC NOS rear sprocket! Long story, but to get a sprocket to fit the FJ600 wheel, and in a 36 to 38 tooth, this was the ONLY one that would work. The OEM FJ sprocket is a 45. I needed to keep as close to a 2.19 ratio as I could so the 38 with an 18 countershaft from an XS650 worked. Good 'ole FleaBay. I like the liberal use of Drillium too.

View attachment 12499

Last edited:
New goodies from Singapore arrived today.

View attachment 12533

Also pulled the carbs off to have them rebuilt and rejetted. Once they are back we'll hit the dyno in February or so.

View attachment 12534

I'm waiting in a few more parts from Yamaha for the FJ600 rear wheel. Of which is an internal wheel spacer. Without that I'm stalled out on getting the rear wheel on until about Christmas. Oh well.

I've been working on how to manage the rear end of the bike. I think I'll remove the grab rail, the tail light. Install a Ducati 900SS rear fender, and use a vintage type tail light. Once that is spec'd out I'll have "steath" grab rail welded on to the subframe.

Well so far I'm making money on this project. I called Progressive to add the bike, $15.00 a year. With the multibike discount I'm refunded $7.00!

:rofl:

I had full coverage on my dirt bike for the same reason. Once I added the bike my yearly rate went down due to the muti bike discount! I was probably the only guy at the MX track with comprehensive and collision! :p

Well not huge gains this week but important small ones.

1) Solved the oil leak from the oil filter area. There are actually FOUR O-Rings that are required. I hold only three in. The one that was missing is a small one, the diameter of a 5mm allen screw, that goes between the case cover and the oil filter cover. $14 in parts, $12 in shipping later the problem is solved.

2) Received the needed FJ600 wheel spacers. As I guessed the XV axle is too large of a diameter for the FJ wheel. $14 in parts, and $12 in shipping later an FJ rear axle is on the way. And this will be a part I don't use as I need to have a machine shop make an axle for me. However I'll use the spacer that comes with the axle. A spacer that Yamaha no longer makes.

I found a motorcycle machine shop. They build dirt track racers, and claim to be a "full service machine shop." If this is the case they should be able to whip up the parts I need easily and quickly. As I'm finding out in OKC quality "stuff" can be very hard to come by. Austin, I know of a dozen speed and custom auto shops. Here nothing comes up on the Google. Nothing, and people on forums say to go to Dallas. :surrender:

Here's the view from the beginning of the rear wheel removal...

View attachment 12653

View attachment 12654

17.74 POUNDS of pure Japanese STEEL!

View attachment 12655

Nasty enclosed countershaft sprocket in a 630

View attachment 12656

Nice, shiny EMGO drilled out countershaft sprocket in a 530. This is for mock up only. This is a 17T, I have an 18T from JT Sprockets on order.

View attachment 12657

Last edited:
I heard from the motorcycle machine shop today. They think they can have an axle, spacers, and laser align the sprockets by Christmas. I'll have them do a few other odds and ends while it's in the shop. Like see if they can find the turn signal problem!!!

The carbs should be back about the same time. Hopefully we are on the road by New Years. She should really rock! If carb tuning solves the flat spots this thing may actually be faster, not sloooow. :) Handling wise she should be pretty darn good for a 1980 era bike.

Then I'll shift to the body.

No word on brake adapters yet.

Last edited:
Nothing major this week. I dropped the bike off at the machine shop for the new rear axle, and front and rear axle spacers. The SS spacers I made for the front wheel didn't last, they settled, and now the wheel is off center. Oh well...

I did get this in.

View attachment 12697

It hangs out with the FZ1.

View attachment 12698

Oh, I ordered a new four brush stater motor. It's supposed to require less juice than a two brush motor.

I sourced a few new parts.

First is the Dr. Virago Power Clip and starter shims. Along with the new four brush starter motor, and the new battery my starter problems should be solved.

I also found a NOS Derale oil cooler kit. This is straight out of the '80's, Not only will it help the rear cylinder on hot days, but it is cool bling from the period. It includes everything, including brackets and drill jig for modding the oil filter cover. I may need to relocate the steering damper with this mod.

Carbs were put in the mail on Friday, arrive tomorrow? Maybe.

View attachment 12760

View attachment 12761

Well it is Christmas! My carbs and a few goodies from the rebuilder arrived today made my day! Yes a tune up kit, a SEE-GAR, a Capt. America comic, and notes on the carbs. Oh and they are jetted to my tuner's specs. wOOt!

And FREE sliver powder coat on the carb tops. :)

Back