New Yamaha Project???

Well it is Christmas! My carbs and a few goodies from the rebuilder arrived today made my day! Yes a tune up kit, a SEE-GAR, a Capt. America comic, and notes on the carbs. Oh and they are jetted to my tuner's specs. wOOt!

And FREE sliver powder coat on the carb tops. :)

Wow! Never seen a carb so Purdy.

End of week update. Many thanks to Colvin Motorcycles for machining help and creative ideas. Colvin Motorcycle Company - CRE Racing

1) Oil Cooler kit arrived, mount next weekend.
2) Rear wheel is mounted - required different size bearings to accommodate the axle.
3) Bushings are made
4) Rear brake is mounted
5) Rear FZ6 MC is mounted to OEM rearset (or...mid-set???) Too cool, and too simple.
6) 530 Sprockets and Chain are mounted
7) New front wheels spacers in WIP
8) Carbs mounted & sync'd, valves adjusted. She's going to purrrrrr
9) New ideas for rear fender, stop light.

No photos today, wife came in from the car to the shop, said her blood sugar dropped so I had to be the man of the family and get her food. :justkidding:

Surprises in store for the rear swingarm! :sinister: Drop another 4 lbs???

Check this out, a Colvin Motorcycles, custom flat track frameset. Note the rear suspension. This solution is genius, look closely, the shock is parallel to the ground.

View attachment 12785

View attachment 12786

This trip was great! The owner of the shop used to race Battle of the Twins back in the '80s and is very familiar with the bike. He's got great ideas and our mindsets are totally in sync. I'll chat him up again later in the week.

Last edited:
I stopped by the shop today to see how things are progressing, well we hit a couple of bumps.

1) the intake manifolds are dry rotted and cracked. They were fine until I popped the carbs off. That probably cracked the 30 year old rubber. Oh well.

2) The test of the spacer behind the counter shaft sprocket went well. However we decided to go a different route to ensure the CS gasket can not be damaged by the spacer. Better safe than sorry when potential splitting cases is involved.

However...

The rear disc brake simply KICKS A$$! The thing looks totally OEM, well it is made of OEM parts.

Spacer between swingarm and wheel

View attachment 12810

View of rear wheel and tire mounted, looks great!

View attachment 12811

FJ600 Caliper and hanger, used XV brake arm to brace, billet spacers align arm and brace, Used OEM FZ6 brake hose.

View attachment 12812

FZ6 reservoir, steel tab will be on frame to hang the reservoir to

View attachment 12813

Nice shiny carbs, new fuel line and filter, one cracked manifold.

View attachment 12814

First spacer for CS

View attachment 12815

Last edited:
Great day today!

I picked the bike up an rode her home.

1) The carbs appear to be spot on and the motor pulls wonderfully!
2) The rear brake is great, need a new disc, but work perfectly.
3) The handling is great, dare I say...modern. All together I've got almost 40 lbs off the bike. It is night and day from the first time I rode it.
4) The front brakes are much better with the new spacers. The calipers are perfectly parallel to the rotor.
5) Installed the oil cooler tonight
6) Repositioned the steering damper
7) Frenched the rear end. Still need to dial this in a little. This alone saved 5 lbs.

View attachment 12876

View attachment 12877

View attachment 12878

View attachment 12879

View attachment 12880

View attachment 12881

Last edited:
Thats sir is looking slick. I would like to see a pic with you sitting on the bike looking at the bar and gauges the next time you have the camera out. please

Last edited:
Hey Stretched,

Here's your photos.

Also tomorrow's project. The OEM starter is okay, however it is a 2 brush starter. The replacement is a 4 brush starter and spins the motor faster with less energy. Starters are a big issue with GENI Viragos/XV920Rs. It is a terrible design to begin with.

Today I hung two more ceramic space heaters in the garage. I ordered these from Northern Tool. The manager charged me only $34.95 a heater! I placed three of them in a semi-circle around my work area. With the wind hollowing at 40 mph today! They couldn't keep up in 28 degree cold.

View attachment 12889

View attachment 12890

View attachment 12891

View attachment 12892

Lots of small things accomplished is this week:

1) Rebuilt rear turn signal. The inside was totally rusted out. sanded the rust off and it worked perfectly.
2) Made tail light bracket 3.0.
3) Repair tail light; light defuser, new bulbs.
4) Install matching Avon AM26 front tire
5) Installed matching EBC rear rotor, new rotor bolts, and new EBC rear pads
6) Detailed wheels
7) Soldered new ends onto front brake signal wires for FZ1 front M/C
8) Have seat recovered, reshaped, and firm foam installed. Modeled after '81 Kawi ELR saddle.
9) Ordered Wilber remote adjustable rear shock
10) Received RAASK rearsets...don't like them...
11) Spare top clamp sent to Fred for new cool billet top clamp to be made.
12) Installed Aprilia Tuono V4R mirrors
13) Rebuild FZ1 front calipers, cleaned, seals, EBC HH pads
14) Pay Visa bill...

View attachment 13081

View attachment 13082

View attachment 13083

View attachment 13084

Last edited:
Back