How do you like the "Texas Turnaround?" They confused the heck out of me at first, but once you understand them, they're great.

So what do you think of the goofy weather so far? Hot and humid one day, cool and dry the next. Drought, then flooding.

Wait until you discover the cute, little "Fire Ant" as you are gardening one day.

I figured out the turnaround in a hurry thanks to Google maps! You really need to pay attention to lane choice!

Weather here has been okay... nothing crazy. We've not seen any of the torrential rain yet, light rain, cool, warm and mild himidity (compared to NH!)

We just had the whole place treated. They build into the home a network of tubes with portals outside so they can treat. We did have three ant hills starting but no activity today! We had a lot of spiders outside but they are gone too.

So, all the utilities are set up, city is taken care of, pest control, security system, water filtration, and her car is now officially Texan. She'll get her license next week. I'm not declaring TX residence until I move myself from NH. If I do it now, I would have to pay sales tax on the SUV and bike when I arrive. So I'll wait... :D

Much cheaper living so far... much nicer roads, and a LOT nicer people! Everyone has been so pleasant and helpful! You don't find this in New England... where I'll be once again tomorrow afternoon.... grrrr.....

Registration for cars and bikes is reasonable too.

A TON! Her 2014 Corolla was $197.50. My 4Runner in NH was almost $700!!!

We could not have asked for a better 2000 mile trek. During the entire trip, we hit a 5 minute and a 20 minute traffic delay... It does not get better than that. I can only hope my final trip here goes as well.

Latest update in this saga...

After signing the paperwork to become a homeowner in TX on Nov 6th, I returned to NH to sell the house on Nov. 14th. I was able to go back for Christmas and New Years for 10 days and have been here in NH since. A little over a week ago, we received and offer on the house. after several negotiations, we have come to an agreement and everyone has signed an addendum to the purchase and sales agreement so the NH home is "officially" under contract today! They chose a closing date of Feb. 26th. That happens to be my wife's birthday so her big gift this year is a home sold and her husband embarking on the final journey to officially become a Texan. I should be in Texas with the motorcycles in tow on the 28th or 29th of Feb. I'm not taking this job with me and will take a little time off and begin the search for a new job. Given the high tech companies in the area, that shouldn't take long at all when I set my mind to it.

Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel.... and it's not a damned train coming either! THIS guy is very excited! 5 weeks! I pray nothing holds that up.

Hooray!

When the bikes get here I'll take Michelle and you out riding with my friends, Tim and Jim. Jim knows the Hill Country like the back of his hand, Tim is lost the moment he leaves his house. We'll ride from my house to Volente, Lime Creek Road, 1431 to Nameless Road, to Round Mountain Road, to the intersection of Oatmeal (Oatmeal is a town that isn't?). Then off to Ink's Lake State Park and back on Park Road 1. About 150 miles of twist bliss. And that is local to the greater Austin area.

I rode most of that loop yesterday and the roads are in very good condition, ie: no frost heaves, and no sand. That said we've not had a freeze this year. That's good and bad. Good in that the roads are clean, bad in that the bugs will be HORRIBLE this summer.

Last edited:
Hooray!

When the bikes get here I'll take Michelle and you out riding with my friends, Tim and Jim. Jim knows the Hill Country like the back of his hand, Tim is lost the moment he leaves his house. We'll ride from my house to Volente, Lime Creek Road, 1431 to Nameless Road, to Round Mountain Road, to the intersection of Oatmeal (Oatmeal is a town that isn't?). Then off to Ink's Lake State Park and back on Park Road 1. About 150 miles of twist bliss. And that is local to the greater Austin area.

I rode most of that loop yesterday and the roads are in very good condition, ie: no frost heaves, and no sand. That said we've not had a freeze this year. That's good and bad. Good in that the roads are clean, bad in that the bugs will be HORRIBLE this summer.

Sounds perfect to me! I can hardly wait!

Speaking of bugs, are you having worse than usual ant issues? Do you treat for them yourself or reply on the exterminators? Our exterminator doesn't seem to be doing his job at all.

What kind of ants are they? Sugar, Protein or Fire?

For Sugar and Protein we treat they only when they show up. Typically in the summer.

Fire ants, yard, we treat in Spring, Summer and Fall.

We use a bug guy for both.

What kind of ants are they? Sugar, Protein or Fire?

For Sugar and Protein we treat they only when they show up. Typically in the summer.

Fire ants, yard, we treat in Spring, Summer and Fall.

We use a bug guy for both.

Can you please tell me who you use? Whatever the company is we use? They suck!

Considering how they bite and how often they are around, I'd say they are fire ants. Protein looks close to a Fire ant so I'm not entirely sure. Definitely not Sugar. When I get there, I will be sealing up any micro crack or hole. And I'll definitely be planting mint all around the house too.

Thanks Pete!

Can you please tell me who you use? Whatever the company is we use? They suck!

Considering how they bite and how often they are around, I'd say they are fire ants. Protein looks close to a Fire ant so I'm not entirely sure. Definitely not Sugar. When I get there, I will be sealing up any micro crack or hole. And I'll definitely be planting mint all around the house too.

Thanks Pete!

We use Aztec Organic: Pest Control Austin | Organic Pest Control Teaxs | Natural Pest Control 78767 - Aztec Organic Pest Service and our lawn guy treats for fire ants during the growing season.

Fire Ants have a black butt, and a red middle and head. The little bastards are mean as hell. Their bite leaves a nasty bump with a head on it like a zit. Protein and Sugar ants typically don't bite, they look for water and snacks.

Oh, we had a bad case of carpenter ants this past year too. It took three treatments to get them under control. I'd forgotten about that one.

Make sure that dirt does not cover your slab and touch the siding of your house. That's a path for all bugs to get in, termites, roaches, ants, scorpions, etc.

Last edited:
Latest update: I got a text from the agent this morning... the closing has been moved.... moved UP to Monday, Feb 22nd! Looks like I'll be in TX a few days earlier! I should be there before Michele's birthday now! Yeah, I'm excited!

Back