Dustin's Official 2014 Trip Report Thread

Brutal weather today huh? I was thinking of the both of you today. I think you went the correct way to punch through the cold front by going due west. We went north and fought the rain from Austin until Waco ~110 miles, and wicked winds all the way to OKC. Ugh. My car with trailer, bike and family got about 12 mpg! I typically tow and get 19. Sorry we were not able to meet. My schedule kept me hoping this year. I had an interview, two runs to the airport to pick family up, visit the rent houses, and visit store fronts (more on that later).

Regardless, ride safe and don't push it too hard. Sounds like you had an epic adventure!

The wind really brought my fuel mileage down as well. Once we cleared the cold front, I was rocking along well. That was a hell of a storm, very heavy rain and temps down in the 40s.

Glad you're back safe and sound too! We will meet up another time :)

That was a hell of a storm, very heavy rain and temps down in the 40s.

That sounds like a drive you will not soon forget. I hope your weather is better as you head west. Sunday afternoon and evening in Colorado Springs we had snow. It is supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow.

I hope Doug isn't too disappointed with you Dustin.....
I didn't see any pics of the umbrella girls, I know he wanted to see the latest fashions from this year :innocent:

He may have to turn in his man card :poke:

TV coverage was also real poor on this years umbrella's :rant:

Sounds like your ride reinstated your man card a couple times over.

I'm in Fremont for the night and will remain for Thursday to hang out with friends. Friday morning I'll hit the road for home.

650 miles or so today. Sheesh.

Here's a few shots from the last couple of days. It's been push, push, push to try and get Peter home quickly and there has been nothing worth stopping for.

I did, however, see cacti! That was great
qv4Qkgpl.jpg

K121a6Fl.jpg

UbYR2E5l.jpg

k9jhFF5l.jpg

Once we split up, I took a beautiful scenic road to Gilroy, CA before making my way up to Fremont. It's difficult to describe how being in this place made me feel. It was so beautiful... The sun was setting on the green hills and I could smell trees and grass and animals like I haven't smelled since I left home. It was nourishing. I felt revitalised and I smiled as I was riding along. I just sat sideways on the bike and coasted along as I took in the energy.

jQfr8xml.jpg

MYV4nHyl.jpg

RO2JxNul.jpg

It was an adventure getting to Austin and I don’t regret anything about it or the route we took. I'm tired of the grind and am looking forward to some nice short days home. I'm looking forward to being home, too.

Nice to meet you to Dustin. And Dan. Your going to have a great ride tomorrow. I wish I could blow off work and ride with ya, but that's not happen. Be careful on your way home.

I am wondering if your trip has changed any stereo types there may have been about the U.S. or the people in it. I assume this is as far as you have dived in before.

Back