Dustin's Official 2014 Trip Report Thread

Shouldn't there be something about the number of people you met in person that you had previously only met online. ;)

Yes! My brain is fried. I'm currently on the train to airport to surprise my girlfriend. She's been in Germany visiting family while I've been away

Yep! Where to next? SR 20 - North Cascades Highway opens soon. They're still clearing snow

I'm waiting for snow and gravel to clear up in the BC Kootenay region to do my favourite local loop.

Have done those roads many times but, more commonly, went north from Nelson and avoided the ferry. Used to go up to Ainsworth Hot Springs and Sandon ghost town and have memories of rolling in to Nakusp only to find the Arrow Lakes nearly dry.

Used to enjoy the run from Needles but always branched from Rutland down the West Kettle to Rock Creek and home from there.

The good old days. Have you done White Lake Road?

Timing

Nuts to that road in the summer. Miles of RVs and nowhere to pass :)

I usually start my days at 05:30 so traffic isn't usually a problem, just deer and the like. I see you miss Anarchist mountain outside of Osoyoos which is another favorite.

Hwy 33 north of Rock creek is nice and traffic usually light the further north you go.

The Run from Vernon to Needles another good road in spots, notably around Angle Falls.

The worst traffic is Kootenay Bay to Creston, which is another one that benefits from an early morning run.

Hwy 3 Princeton to Hope is about the only part that I really like, the rest is traffic nightmare during riding season!

There is a nice cut across from Hwy 33 near Westbridge that Joins Hwy 6 near Angle Falls but it isn't suitable for a street bike.

Last edited:
I see you miss Anarchist mountain outside of Osoyoos which is another favorite.

Hwy 33 north of Rock creek is nice and traffic usually light the further north you go.

Wow! Memories.....Anarchist was always home and the major hairpin before the descent into Rock City was a place that I could always drag my high mount, undraggable 4 into 1 pipe.

It was always Rock City to us, to give the place dignity, and I quaffed many a brew looking out over the Kettle River from the windows of the Rock Creek Hotel. I know it burned down some time back but it had held the reputation of being the longest hotel in service in the Province.

Of course, going back a bit; the old Beaverdell Hotel had 4 fluorescent lights in the bar and they gave you a kerosene lamp when you went up to your room.

We used to blitz those roads then but that was back in the 70's and 80's and we didn't have to contend with todays traffic.

It's definitely different now days. The 40-over law is a big dark cloud over all my rides in BC. Once the speeds get into the 'fun zone', you're susceptible to a roadside impound and having your license yanked for a period of time.

Still, that Kootenay region is just fantastic for riding and I haven't seen any speed enforcement off the major arteries thus far.

Last edited:
Visited Leavenworth, took photos, got bored, heading home. I haven't had much fun solo riding since I returned from Texas.

a32rwZ2l.jpg

sx6VvNGl.jpg

Last edited:
Home now! 800 km or so. My original plan was to ride for 3 days but I'm feeling pretty crappy with allergy season in full force. It's a bad year. Blah

Home now! 800 km or so. My original plan was to ride for 3 days but I'm feeling pretty crappy with allergy season in full force. It's a bad year. Blah

Sorry to hear that your trip was cut short, but thanks for the pictures. I always feel the pollen when it starts flying, but thankfully I find that the available allergy medicine works for me. I'm getting pretty excited for my departure day on Friday. Forecast is for cool temps and rain.

I'm trying a new brand this year and it's not doing the job. Back to the pharmacy for me!

It's no fun riding with a waterfall coming out of your nose and a massive fog in your head. I'll go for a quick ride up to Squamish, BC today :)

Last edited:
Back