Dustin's Official 2014 Trip Report Thread

Let's do Iron Cactus, that one looks great!

I'm looking forward to checking out the city tomorrow. See you tomorrow! I might walk and bus it in, not sure. :)

For whomever can make it downtown I was thinking of the following because I know they both have some vegetarian options....

Z'Tejas
1110 W. 6th Street

Austin, Texas 78703
Phone: (512) 478-5355
Z'Tejas

The Iron Cactus
606 Trinity St.
Austin, Tx 78701
Tel: (512) 472-9240
Downtown Austin Mexican Restuarant and Tequilia Bar | Iron Cactus Mexican Restaurants

Or if you are in the mood for slightly more upscale Mexican...

Fonda San Miguel
2330 W. North Loop
Austin, TX 78756
(512) 459-4121
Fonda San Miguel ~ Austin, Tx

My guy in Austin is Indian. So I can also ask him for a few suggestions. I am not against just having a salad. Seems like I eat a lot of salad these days.

I can certainly recommend Fonda San Miguel for top flight Mexican food. Way above the normal Mexican fare that usually devolves into TexMex.

Fonda San Miguel opens at 5pm for the bar, the restaurant opens at 5:30pm. When my wife and I go we sit in the bar area and order from the bar menu right at 5pm before the rush starts....lot's of selection of hand friendly food which is good for sharing among friends, and the bill will be far cheaper than sitting in the main restaurant. The 'Angels on Horseback', Tacos Al Pastor, and Quesos Asados are all great, perfect for sharing. I recommend getting their early.....the joint fills up early, especially on the weekends. It is a very popular place for all kinds of people.

Last edited:
I'm in on lunch at the Iron Cactus.

I'm checking a few things here, and will roll within the hour. I'll grab your number from that other thread, and call or text when I'm in Austin proper.

Well bummer, I thought there was a post somewhere with your number, maybe you pulled it. No worries, I can just meet y'all at the Iron Cactus.

What time for lunch?

Pictures

Hey, somebody post a group picture from the Iron Cactus (inside or out). It would be nice to see you guys together, since it won't happen that often.

+1

but I think they know they had better, or face a wrath of crap!

Since you asked so nicely... ;)

PfKI8mQl.jpg

Nice to meet the both of you! This forum has the nicest people around!

Working on photos from my tour of Austin. I walked something like 13 miles today and all the way home

Back