Arrow headers are INSTALLED!

I have to agree with you...if it were me I wouldn't coat them either. They are already ss so corrosion is not really an issue. There may be slight gains in power with the coating, but we're not talking 10 HP. Even if it turns out to be an extra 2-3 HP , I doubt that you'll be able to notice that on a 150 HP bike.

And my main concern from previous experience is that the coating wont look as nice after a while, especially close to the exhaust ports where the headers will get the hottest.

Really think about it Eric because what you'll spend getting them coated can almost pay for the tune. Plus you can always coat them down the road (next Winter) if you wanted to.

2-3 hp might be worth it. Reality is that the gain would be less than 1 hp.

Thanks for the comments guys. I can totally understand your points of view. For me, I do not like the welded seams and golden hues of heated headers. I prefer a black and blended look. If this improves the exhaust flow and sends more of the heat out the back, I'll be a lot happier because my bike gets quite hot in the summer here and removing some of that heat is a big benefit to an ATGATT summer rider.

After asking questions of both the tuner and Jet-Hot, we may never know the difference though. I expressed concerns over the Extreme 1300 coating and asked if this was sufficient for my bike. In other words, are they confident with a warranty of this application? I also asked about the finish if I had to move to the 2000 because it is listed as "gritty" which, even though I'm not doing it for appearance alone, I don't want a rough surface.... Here is Dan's reply...

Dan said:
Eric,
The extreme 1300 black will handle exhaust temps up to 1500 degrees , this will be fine for your application. The extreme 2000 finish is like 80 grit sandpaper and will handle exhaust gas temps up to 2450 degrees. It is our recommendation that you dyno your parts before sending them in as the warranty will not cover your parts if you exceed 1500 exhaust gas temps. If you do make sure whomever is doing the Dyno parts a fan on the header to keep the air flow on the parts.
Thanks

So, with this in mind, I've requested Dyno time for next Friday, April 5th and would drop my bike off Thursday night and pick it up Saturday. I'll get the headers installed in the next night or two and install the "Graves FULL/Stacks map" as the baseline for the Dyno to work with. This will give them pulls a lot closer to where they need to be. And next Friday is supposed to be sunny and in the low 60's here, perfect day to Dyno.

After the Dyno tune, I'll remove the headers and ship to Jet-Hot. Later, I might stop in for a Dyno pull with the coated headers but not a tune, just to see, if on the same Dyno with the same tuner, the Jet-Hot has any added performance gains.

Next issue.... the local (good) tuner says he is backed up due to the weather. Says that if I drop my bike off on Saturday "he can get to it sometime next week." I don't know if I'm comfortable leaving it there for the week... Question for those who have had Dyno tuning done?

What's the average miles put on your ODO for the tune and test ride they do? What would you consider "excessive" miles? I don't want some a$$hat there taking my bike out on the town for a couple days waiting for the dyno to free up! Do I think it would happen? Probably not, but who can say for certain... Ugh!

Next issue.... the local (good) tuner says he is backed up due to the weather. Says that if I drop my bike off on Saturday "he can get to it sometime next week." I don't know if I'm comfortable leaving it there for the week... Question for those who have had Dyno tuning done?

What's the average miles put on your ODO for the tune and test ride they do? What would you consider "excessive" miles? I don't want some a$$hat there taking my bike out on the town for a couple days waiting for the dyno to free up! Do I think it would happen? Probably not, but who can say for certain... Ugh!

I'd just leave it there and pull my plate and take it with me. :Rockon:

They'd stick their own plate on and go zooming. :eek5: ;) They do have to road-test it according to them.

I just spoke to my boss who uses this place and he is telling me the bike will be safe and treated with respect there, that there are no worries. He has a custom Aprilia with all carbon fiber race panels that he leaves there for service, etc... His bike is worth a ton more money than mine.

I'll see about getting it there Saturday and take my chances. I want this done before the REALLY good weather moves in.

They'd stick their own plate on and go zooming. :eek5: ;) They do have to road-test it according to them.

I just spoke to my boss who uses this place and he is telling me the bike will be safe and treated with respect there, that there are no worries. He has a custom Aprilia with all carbon fiber race panels that he leaves there for service, etc... His bike is worth a ton more money than mine.

I'll see about getting it there Saturday and take my chances. I want this done before the REALLY good weather moves in.

I'm sorry. I guess it's just my NY state of mind. I would only leave my bike with one person, and thats Ivan. He had it for a solid week. Otherwise, I'd be a wreck thinking about it. Just my nature I guess.

:rant:
So I'm getting the run-around.... :spank2: Tonight the guy tells me it "might" be next week but could roll into the following week. I'm not going to leave my bike there for an "undetermined amount of time" in hopes they get it on the Dyno. :banghead: I think the issue is because they are not a dealer of Japanese bikes. They are an Italian shop of Aprilia and Ducati. So, they have a bit of the snobbish attitude.

So here's the deal... I'm saying screw them and I'll find a place further away that will get me in the door and out the same day while I wait and watch (if they will let me). In the meantime, I'm going to install these headers, deploy the Graves FULL/Stacks map to the PCV and see how she performs. I'm going to save the money for the tune and the Jet-Hot and buy some other fun things, maybe for the truck instead.

I'm just going to ride.... I had high hopes but I'm discouraged after today's results. Maybe I'll get the Wideband2 with the LCD and work out tuning on my own.

Sorry all but the rest of this project is on hold... I'm going riding! :tup:

End :rant:

I'm sure they will look great when it's done. I actually really like the raw mechanical look of welds and the different colors the pipes become when heated, but that is just me. Have you thought about old-school header wrap? I'm curious to see that done on an FZ1, and how it would look. Probably better on a naked version I'm guessing, for the streetfighter look.

Eric I'm pretty sure one of the many maps out there will get you running until you decide what to do. Hey they are free so why not try them ;)

Installed.

The boss let me go early today (Thank you Sir!!!) and I came home, grabbed a bite and went to work on the bike.

This isn't rocket science so remove the old, attach the head parts, attach the pipes with springs and install the slip-on... done! And yes, I did trim about 1/2" off the top edge of the lower cowl to make it fit with clearance around the headers.

Bike needs to be cleaned after a short run earlier when it was wet but there was no salt left on the road... :tup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Someone had to inspect Grampa's work.... ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Looks great Eric! How does it run?

I only ran it to burn off the residue and heat the pipes up... not a lot of revs... I still need to go out tomorrow and install the Graves map that they put out for a full exhaust and velocity stacks. If it's OK weather, I might just find a bit of open road after a good warm-up. :sinister:

I guess I can live with the look since most of it is covered up anyway. ;) I still may send them off after this riding season is over for a Jet-Hot coating.

I'm now spending the saved money of stuff for my truck instead. :D

Looks great Eric! I like their attention to detail with the pieces that attach to the head. I think you should leave it as is. Wont look any worse than the stock pipe.

I only ran it to burn off the residue and heat the pipes up... not a lot of revs... I still need to go out tomorrow and install the Graves map that they put out for a full exhaust and velocity stacks. If it's OK weather, I might just find a bit of open road after a good warm-up. :sinister:

I guess I can live with the look since most of it is covered up anyway. ;) I still may send them off after this riding season is over for a Jet-Hot coating.

Looks very clean, good job, Jet-hot coating will not hold up to high heat, you need ceramic coating $$$, they do look nice as is.

Took a look at that graves map, its pretty lean compared to the maps that have run well in my bike. ( think we have very similar mods ) and leaner than most at 100% throttle high in the rev range........ BE CAREFUL :)
maybe the velocity stacks have something to do with the tune ??
Your running stacks ? ( wish everyone would post their bike mods in the signature ) Save a lot of questions :)

Give the Duke perfection averaged/Papa Geno map a try and the whittlebeast smoothed ran pretty good for me too.

Suggestion, if you have not done it already hook up a map switch to the PCV. Easy job, just a toggle switch and wire.
The map switch made it REAL EASY for me to compare maps on the fly.

Something else I'll mention with just about every map I tried after the Arrow header install if I whacked the throttle open lower in the rev range , under 5000rpm I got a slight bog bike would stumble or hesitate.
Felt like the bike was rich............ wrong ! Was lean ! Cured it by using the accelerator pump feature in the PCV. Think I have it set to add 15% fuel at 85% throttle .........cant remember off hand for how many revolutions........... maybe 40 ?

Basically the accelerator pump feature just adds a quick squirt of fuel for a few revs when you rapidly open the throttle more than 85%. ( I have mine set at 85% )

If I remember correctly Andy ( Whittlebeast ) also used the accelerator pump feature to tune out some goofy fueling with rapid opening of the throttle.

Last edited:
eric,in my opinion you must leave the headers like it is....
the look is awesome(almost like titanium headers) and from the photos i can see that the quality is top notch!!!you paid almost 450$ for them....
don't broke their look.....i wish i could afford to buy a set of them to fit with my Racefit exhaust......

Back