Arrow headers are INSTALLED!

I've heard/read about how all these changes affect the bike but I have to say, until you've experienced it first hand, it is hard to comprehend. I'm serious, this bike is amazing! It's almost like I traded it in over the winter and bought a new beast to toy with. I can feel exactly where the HP was shifted throughout the entire range. Yes, it adds a some on the top-end but I wasn't looking for that. I wanted my available HP to move into the meat of my daily riding. The shift is a huge gain from 3k through to 7k where the bike fell a bit flat all the time. Without these mods, it took hitting 7-7.5k to get that BIG rush. That is still there but now much more linear... much more HP available below 7k and that last leap is "progressive rather than a punch"

I know this is an expensive proposition for a lot of riders. It took me 4 years to get to this point so I know about being patient/impatient.... but put your spare change away and save for this rainy day. You'll fall in love with this bike ALL OVER AGAIN!

Now I want to just RIDE! :yes:

I know what you are saying! With my Gen 1, I didn't like it in its stock configuration. After changing the exhaust and adjusting the carb... OMG ... I loved it! When I picked up the Gen II I quickly noticed that I missed the mid range grunt that my Gen I and my CBR had. That is why I want to add the exhaust and do a few more mods you mentioned. I know that I would rather do it all at once so I can enjoy it. I just have to wait until my checkbook stops screaming at me or I find a sugar momma!

I think my last mod will be the toughest. Reducing weight on the bike. That being ME!!! I need to drop another 30 lbs. I'd love to get down to 195 again. :D I was once 242... :eek5:

I've heard/read about how all these changes affect the bike but I have to say, until you've experienced it first hand, it is hard to comprehend. I'm serious, this bike is amazing! It's almost like I traded it in over the winter and bought a new beast to toy with. I can feel exactly where the HP was shifted throughout the entire range. Yes, it adds a some on the top-end but I wasn't looking for that. I wanted my available HP to move into the meat of my daily riding. The shift is a huge gain from 3k through to 7k where the bike fell a bit flat all the time. Without these mods, it took hitting 7-7.5k to get that BIG rush. That is still there but now much more linear... much more HP available below 7k and that last leap is "progressive rather than a punch"

I know this is an expensive proposition for a lot of riders. It took me 4 years to get to this point so I know about being patient/impatient.... but put your spare change away and save for this rainy day. You'll fall in love with this bike ALL OVER AGAIN!

Now I want to just RIDE! :yes:

Well said, I know just how you feel !!! To be perfectly honest I thought my FZ1's engine was a real turd in stock form below 7500rpm. :eek5:

This bike REALLY responds well to mods. What you get in return is MUCH better low-mid range power, a nice increase in peak power and the throttle response and general enjoyment from the motor is greatly improved. The motor in stock form was pretty weak below 7500rpm and the goofy fueling/sub throttle plates did not help in the throttle response, ride-ability department.

I'm happy with my engine now :) Just need to get a shock out back, holy smokes is that thing a poor excuse for a shock.

Improvements to the rider are always the best mods! Keep at it! Stay motivated and make it happen! The benefits of losing weight are incredibly far reaching! I can go on and on about it, but you already know how losing weight has made you feel!

I don't know what the HP gains are per pound... but the butt dyno will tell you!

I'm happy for you Eric. I'd love to model my mods after what you've done. I'm not sure some of the Copper Dawg stuff is for me, but everything else sounds like what I'd like to do. I want to focus on suspension and brakes first, then some performance stuff if time and money allows.

I'm going to have to really think hard to find something else for you to mod. I'm working on it. :yes: :cheers:

Get out there and RIDE! :rmwl: head west on I-70! I'll buy you a beer when you get here :beer:

Congrats on making an AWESOME FZ1!

What's a full arrow system run approx.?

IMHO, if you don't already have a slipon, go for the Yosh R77 full system rather than the Arrow and slipon. Cost will probably be a bit less depending on the supplier and material choice for the muffler. Performance is also a bit better in the midrange with the header design of the Yosh. . . .That said, if aesthetics are the most important paramenter, the Arrow header is a lovely piece.

ceramic exhaust coating increasing power

Modern high performance engines shed a lot of heat from the cylinder head into the radiator. More retention of heat within the combustion chamber might increase power slightly but will be bad for reliability. I seriously doubt if heat retention within the exhaust header has any effect on power at all since the exhaust gasses have already left the combustion chamber. Some experimental engines have shown great efficiency with ceramic pistons and combustion chambers but efficiency does not always translate to more power.

The ceramic coating does look nice and stays looking nice, but I would not believe power gains due to the coatings alone without seeing it on a back to back dyno run.

If someone can prove me wrong, I will quickly thank them and then send off for some ceramic coating.:deadhorse:

Back