What did you do to your FZ today?

Pyro and I had to ride about 30 miles on gravel in the Texas hill country in 2010. I think I was going 30 the entire way. Pyro was going 40-45. Built a lot of confidence in those 30 miles. As long as you don't use your front brake all is good.

Crap.... in NH, it is almost mandatory to hit a few dirt roads in the season. Hell, we drift some of them corners too! ;)

Nice rim repair! A lot cheaper than replacement!

Today, I commuted to work and took the long way home. The Shinko Ravens are still a :tup: too!

I took my new baby to the local shop for her first service. :frown:

Now I get to wait until they have her done. I miss her already, but it is for her own good. I will have it back in a couple days. {crosses fingers}

I am a proud owner of a 2007 FZ1. I had an 04 before the 07. I was very disappointed with the 07 at first, the 04 was a much better bike. Then I found Ivan's Performance. I had about 7K on it when I installed Ivan's fuel cut eliminator, sub throttle plates, power commander, and ignition module, plus a air box mod. I have a Akrapovic can. Ivan programmed the power commander for my bike. The bike has 20K on it now, and it is a different bike. I love it! I just got back from a trip to the Smokey Mountains, road the wheels off it. I live in Ocala FL and I got 44.3 miles per gallon on highway I-75 at 5 to 55 hundred RPMs on my way home. I just can't tell you enough how much better my bike runs Thanks to Ivan.

Took Daddy to lunch to celebrate Father's Day. I forgot to put the memory card in the camera so I only got a couple of pics. Then the rear facing cam didn't work or kept shutting off because of the way I mounted it so no vid of Daddy riding :(

DSCF4935.JPG

DSCF4936.JPG

We went by Mountain Adventures where I drooled over a couple of Victories (yes, I said Victory) and bought my big bother some bike cleaner so he can ride his bike after I put the new seat lock on it and he cleans her up. (he can't ride his bike when she's dirty!)

Oh, and I got the final pieces for my new camera mounts today! I'm looking forward to quicker mounting and more angles.

Took the cover off and started her up....and when I put the cover back on, discovered there is a nail stuck near the middle in the rear tire! Put a yellow sticky note on the seat to remind myself to get that fixed ASAP when I'm back up on two wheels again.

Took Daddy to lunch to celebrate Father's Day. I forgot to put the memory card in the camera so I only got a couple of pics. Then the rear facing cam didn't work or kept shutting off because of the way I mounted it so no vid of Daddy riding :(

DSCF4935.JPG

DSCF4936.JPG

We went by Mountain Adventures where I drooled over a couple of Victories (yes, I said Victory) and bought my big bother some bike cleaner so he can ride his bike after I put the new seat lock on it and he cleans her up. (he can't ride his bike when she's dirty!)

Oh, and I got the final pieces for my new camera mounts today! I'm looking forward to quicker mounting and more angles.

What camera did you take these photos with? It takes nice pictures!

Today, Michele and I took the bikes out to get inspection stickers. Then we took the long way home... 120 miles!!! :tup:

When I got home, I tore it down a bit and removed the 16T front sprocket and put the stock 17T back on. I then set the SpeedoDRD unit for -6.8% correction and the ODO is spot on up to 70 mph with the GPS.

Took the wife for a ride for about 30 minutes (first time she has been on). I don't think I could ride on the back of a bike except for an emergency. She is talking about getting a bike next year after our youngest graduates high school.

I am a proud owner of a 2007 FZ1. I had an 04 before the 07. I was very disappointed with the 07 at first, the 04 was a much better bike. Then I found Ivan's Performance. I had about 7K on it when I installed Ivan's fuel cut eliminator, sub throttle plates, power commander, and ignition module, plus a air box mod. I have a Akrapovic can. Ivan programmed the power commander for my bike. The bike has 20K on it now, and it is a different bike. I love it! I just got back from a trip to the Smokey Mountains, road the wheels off it. I live in Ocala FL and I got 44.3 miles per gallon on highway I-75 at 5 to 55 hundred RPMs on my way home. I just can't tell you enough how much better my bike runs Thanks to Ivan.

That is the whole reason why the Gen2 is a much better overall bike than the Gen1. Yamaha did good until the EPA knocked it over.

Today, I finally got a chance to spend some time with the previously mentioned hole in the rear tire.... while I was at it, I figured I'd take care of some basic maintenance I hadn't done in a while.....

So... being the horrible motorcycle owner that I am, I haven't touched the chain at all this season.. and... on top of that, I bought the bike with roughly 4k on the odometer... well... at 8k, I changed the chain and sprockets to a 15/47 setup with 520 pitch... the rear sprocket included with the kit was aluminum, and I was adjusting the chain to 7/8" like previous bikes, instead of the 1-1/4" recommended by the manual... so I was causing premature wear on all of the components... so, when I replaced the rear AL sprocket with a Stealth rear sprocket, I changed the chain again... after 12-15k, I wore out that rear as well, and replaced the chain and rear sprocket.... so.. that's 3 rear sprockets and 2 chains... not horrible for the 36k I've put on it in a rather rough and uncaring manner... but... I never touched the front sprocket since 8k ....

So... summary...
  1. Hole w/ object in rear tire
  2. SEVERELY neglected chain
  3. Same front sprocket since 8k miles.

So... I got home, gathered all of the tools I'd need and put the bike on the rear stand... (since I don't have a center stand thanks to the Gilles rearsets) ... I decided to start with the chain...

The chain was grubby... but I had put enough chain wax on it last season that it was not rusty.... however, there were 3-4 links that were "kinked" ... so, I went about cleaning the chain in my typical method, which is: spraying the whole chain down in WD-40 and letting it soak for 10 minutes, then scrubbing the chain with my "Grunge-Brush" Then wiping it clean with a rag, letting it sit for another 10 minutes, hosing it down with chain wax, then letting it sit for 10 minutes... then wiping off the excess.... amazingly, the kinked links straightened themselves out, and the chain spun freely and without a kink....

So.. chain taken care of, I moved onto the object in the rear tire... by all accounts, it looked like a nail... so, I spit on the "head" of it, and watched for bubbles.... well... no bubbles, but just in case, I had a plug kit and mini compressor handy..... I grabbed my pliers and tried to dig it out.. I couldn't get a good grip on it, so got under the edge of it with a flat blade, and then was able to get the pliers on it... I gave it a tug, and I'll be damned... it was a rock... a triangular shaped sharp rock, but still a rock.... it looked like it went in as far as the steel belts and got stopped... so, after pulling it out, I spit in the hole, and still no bubbles... since I noticed it in the tire a week ago, I haven't lost any pressure... so, I'll check it again later just to make sure... but I think it'll be ok....

Finally... the scary part... I wasn't sure what I was going to see when I pulled that front sprocket cover off... I was ready to see anything from the sprocket nut being backed off half-way, to the teeth being completely ruined...to teeth being broken off.... so... after avoiding it as long as possible, I pulled the front cover... and the front sprocket was PERFECT... it didn't even look used... the nut was still good and tight... and the retaining washer was still attached and in tact... so... I got amazingly lucky on that one... but I'm amazed at the negligence that this bike can withstand and still be in good shape...

Last edited:
Today, I finally got a chance to spend some time with the previously mentioned hole in the rear tire.... while I was at it, I figured I'd take care of some basic maintenance I hadn't done in a while.....

So... being the horrible motorcycle owner that I am, I haven't touched the chain at all this season.. and... on top of that, I bought the bike with roughly 4k on the odometer... well... at 8k, I changed the chain and sprockets to a 15/47 setup with 520 pitch... the rear sprocket included with the kit was aluminum, and I was adjusting the chain to 7/8" like previous bikes, instead of the 1-1/4" recommended by the manual... so I was causing premature wear on all of the components... so, when I replaced the rear AL sprocket with a Stealth rear sprocket, I changed the chain again... after 12-15k, I wore out that rear as well, and replaced the chain and rear sprocket.... so.. that's 3 rear sprockets and 2 chains... not horrible for the 36k I've put on it in a rather rough and uncaring manner... but... I never touched the front sprocket since 8k ....

So... summary...
  1. Hole w/ object in rear tire
  2. SEVERELY neglected chain
  3. Same front sprocket since 8k miles.

So... I got home, gathered all of the tools I'd need and put the bike on the rear stand... (since I don't have a center stand thanks to the Gilles rearsets) ... I decided to start with the chain...

The chain was grubby... but I had put enough chain wax on it last season that it was not rusty.... however, there were 3-4 links that were "kinked" ... so, I went about cleaning the chain in my typical method, which is: spraying the whole chain down in WD-40 and letting it soak for 10 minutes, then scrubbing the chain with my "Grunge-Brush" Then wiping it clean with a rag, letting it sit for another 10 minutes, hosing it down with chain wax, then letting it sit for 10 minutes... then wiping off the excess.... amazingly, the kinked links straightened themselves out, and the chain spun freely and without a kink....

So.. chain taken care of, I moved onto the object in the rear tire... by all accounts, it looked like a nail... so, I spit on the "head" of it, and watched for bubbles.... well... no bubbles, but just in case, I had a plug kit and mini compressor handy..... I grabbed my pliers and tried to dig it out.. I couldn't get a good grip on it, so got under the edge of it with a flat blade, and then was able to get the pliers on it... I gave it a tug, and I'll be damned... it was a rock... a triangular shaped sharp rock, but still a rock.... it looked like it went in as far as the steel belts and got stopped... so, after pulling it out, I spit in the hole, and still no bubbles... since I noticed it in the tire a week ago, I haven't lost any pressure... so, I'll check it again later just to make sure... but I think it'll be ok....

Finally... the scary part... I wasn't sure what I was going to see when I pulled that front sprocket cover off... I was ready to see anything from the sprocket nut being backed off half-way, to the teeth being completely ruined...to teeth being broken off.... so... after avoiding it as long as possible, I pulled the front cover... and the front sprocket was PERFECT... it didn't even look used... the nut was still good and tight... and the retaining washer was still attached and in tact... so... I got amazingly lucky on that one... but I'm amazed at the negligence that this bike can withstand and still be in good shape...

That is why Japanese vehicles are perfect and much superior than anything else out there. I get tempted now and then to get a aprilia/triumph but I always see those triumphs with rusty bits all over in just 3-4 years. Aprilia is probably the most reliable euro brand and 2nd comes triumph.

Back