What did you do to your FZ today?

Gone stock handlebar, hello ProTaper!

7/8" Carmichael bend.... nice and wide, very little sweep and rise. No modifications to the cables or brake lines required.

Wrist strain from that crazy stock bar GONE!

IMG00098-20110113-1628.jpg

IMG00097-20110113-1628.jpg

They look great. I use that exact bar on my dirt bike. They take a hell of a beating(not that you want to find that out). Today I install Ivans flies and AIS block off's, airbox mod,BMC airfilter and a PCIII. Hoping Ivan is right about not needing a plug connector for the O2 sensor and waiting on my exhaust to arrive, hopefully tommorrow.

Jeff.. they do look good and I thought about trying some 7/8 renthals I have laying around for the heck of it... I would toss the cross bar as I doubt its needed.

One question .. do you need to pry off the left grip or does it clamp on like the throttle side?

Yeah, I'm kind of torn between the "looks" of crossbar and no crossbar.

I'm a big fan of motorcross handlebars, for the durability and rigidity. Many stock bars are made of thinner steel and due to high vibration you need some serious bar-end weights to counteract the constant shake.

Aluminum bars have less flex... but they still have flex. Without the cross bar you get a high frequency buzz that feels like the ends of the bars are flapping up and down (maybe just a mm or two) but it is noticeable. With the crossbar the buzz does not really occur unless you mount the grips at the extreme ends of the bar.

The added strength and rigidity are really designed for the loads/stesses of doing jumps, in order to get similar strength without the crossbar, many bar makers are making bars that are 1 1/8" or larger in the clamp area and tapering down to the standard 7/8".

I was really drooling over one of the bigger thicker bars, but that would also mean I would need to swap out the bar risers, and once you start looking at fancy bar risers, you're now going from a simple $65 upgrade to a $95-$200 bar and $45-$200 bar risers..... like anything you can spend quite a bit on fancy bits.

But for me, I've done the 7/8" w/crossbar for years and I love the feel. The current buzz that I experience will be significantly reduced when I upgrade the suspension. :D :D

I'm giddy as a school kid for when I can drop the bike off and have everything dialed in; I can't wait to get rid of the stock suspension. (which I'd rather save my pennies up for anyway)

Jeff.. they do look good and I thought about trying some 7/8 renthals I have laying around for the heck of it... I would toss the cross bar as I doubt its needed.

One question .. do you need to pry off the left grip or does it clamp on like the throttle side?

The left grip was a PITA!!! I used WD-40 and an ice-pick to separate it from the stock bar.

I dried it off with paper towel, and it slid onto the new bar. It is currently on there pretty tight, but if it ever gets loose, I have some grip-glue to put it on real tight. (but I'm avoiding that until it is necessary)

Thanks man... you confirmed what I thought... it makes for an otherwise very simple mod a pain to swap the bars. I have been itching to swap them to try it out but I don't dislike the stock bend enough to go for it !

MY full Yoshi R77 system showed up at Noon EST installed by 01:30. OH MY GOD does this thing bark, I can't get the smile off my face. Will have pic up shortly. Totaly worth the money and I have not riden it yet. I need this salt to go away so I can test out all of my labors of the last couple of days:shine:

From all the info provided by this site and Ivans installing the full system requires a PCIII(or some way of remapping the fuel curve) for the bike to run right. I did alot of mods in one shot so I went with it right away. I found the exhaust on ebay new 795.00 shipped. Its the best price I could find. I got the PCIII through Ivan's, he sells that at a competitive price and will send it with a map that closely matches your needs

Yesterday I got my first ride of the 2011... I only rode a few miles in the city, avoided getting run over, rode through some snow flurries... And enjoyed every single second of it. I feel much better for having been able to ride.

My new set of Bridgestone BT-023's just arrived today. But it's so darn cold here I can't get out in the garage to get the wheels off to take to a local shop for mounting. Hopefully this weekend will be warmer.

I received and installed a Givi monolock case with a Shad rack to put it on. Dang this thing sits high on the back of the bike! Got a Throttlemeister last week, a Rifle tall windscreen on the way, and have a new front wheen and tire being put together at the shop. Why? Because I stripped a couple rotor bolts trying to take them off the old bent wheel. Should have that back Saturday, and will try to take pics before I RRRRRIIIIDDDDDDEEEEEEEE!

Bled my front brakes tonight with my $21 hf vacuum brake bleeder.

DSCF4503.JPG

(I forgot to take that protective black ring off. Once I did, things got easier!)

Went from the nasty old fluid to fresh new fluid.
DSCF4501.JPG
DSCF4504.JPG

Now that I have a bleeder, I don't think I'll let it get that nasty again.

A local dealer was offering cheap dyne runs today so I took advantage. Just a basic run HP and AF only ($40.00). It was a yamaha dealer the guy hooking it up said the best I could hope for was 130. She put out 145.3 using Duken4eva's perfection map. Mods as listed below a/f was a very linear increase from 13.0 to 13.5. The guy told me don't change a thing:sinister: If I can get my scanner to work I will up load the graph

Back