Spring 2013 -- Help Plan a Two Week Trip

If anyone wants to meet up along the way, they are more than welcome. This means you, lytehouse :)

I ought to adjust my route to swing up to Colorado Springs!

Last edited:
:cheerleader: If you make it to Colorado Springs, we'll buy dinner and ride up Pikes Peak with ya!
I snapped this one on the way to work this morning:

I decided I really want to check out the salt flats so I've routed myself up from Ely and will visit Salt Lake City before heading south to Cedar City for the twisty portions in Utah

Maps are updated :)

I understand your need to make haste to the "starting point". That said, I would be utterly remiss if I didn't at least suggest a tasty Oregon road or two that you might could fit in (that said, I-5 from Eugene to Redding is not bad as far as freeways go). And I'd love to join you for part of your ride as you bomb through our state.

I hear you! Oregon is one of my favourite places. The reality is, it's so close, I could go down there any time.

The funny thing is, I've never actually done the I5 south of Portland before so it will be a new experience for me

Last edited:
Two things;

If you hit Yellowstone YOU HAVE TO exit the north east corner and go over Bear Tooth Pass. One of the best stretches of pavement I have ever ridden!

Also, the road out of Moab toward Grand Junction (128) is really nice, do it early in the morning if you can. Make sure to stop at The Love Muffin in Moab for the great coffee, they make an excellent breakfast to.

Last edited:
You mean Beartooth Pass right?

beartooth pass - Google Maps

I've got it mapped out & up north to Chief Joseph Highway :Rockon:

Yes I edited my post. Awesome road.
UponBeartoothPass2012.jpg

Black Bear Pass is above Ouray Colorado and I would not suggest you take your bike through there. It is considered one (if not the) most dangerous jeep trails in Colorado. Not this season but probably 2014 I will be doing it on the dualsport. Time constraints have me staying a bit closer to home this year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NRI86pFVus"]COLORADO: Black Bear Pass - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Looks like a great way to get in and out of Yellowstone. You will love 212 to Red Lodge. You can get fuel (and food) in Cooke City just before the pass, just as you cross into Montana.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD34ELVZKxg"]Beartooth Pass (West Summit) Ride Down - YouTube[/ame]

You will love hwy 12 west of Missoula. When you pass the Wilderness Inn / Cougar Canyon gas (about 1/2 hour before the junction to go to Orofino), that is where I will be crossing from the south, heading north into the bush. The Selway falls are south of that junction.

Last edited:
My holidays were approved yesterday so this trip is as good as on!

I've got 25 days off starting June 9th. I'll probably leave on the 10th but I'm not yet certain how many days I will allot to the trip :)

I think two weeks is enough but I'll figure that out later!

Last edited:
Might I just throw out some epic driving/riding locations that are close to your route.

Zion to Paige, AZ (the vermillion cliffs area is epic especially if you catch it around dusk). The other good thing is most the roads are decent. If you go all the way down to tuba city you can then cut back up to Four Corners and then to Durango. I've made that drive a number of times and something about being on the indian reservation that is peaceful, can be kind of boring straights in there but it is meditative.
View attachment 12650

The million dollar highway from Durango to silverton (most amazing twisty, epic mountain ranges, green forests, amazing views). And if you are going in June the weather will be good, maybe still a slight chill at AM and early evening. The 145 that you had posted on one of your maps from cortes up to montrose is I would say just ok but nowhere near as awesome as the 550 out of durango through silverton. I would put it on comparison with driving through the Great Smoky Mountains, and Blue Ridge Mountains.
View attachment 12649

The 84 through wyoming, idaho and then down into Orego/WA is pretty scenic. There is one point where you come out from I believe La Grande Down the mountain to Pendleton that you are looking down over this amazing valley floor from the side of the mountain as you drive down. Makes you feel kind of small in the grand scheme of things.

BTW the I-5 south of Oregon kind of sucks. Not to be mean, I think I've made that drive 3 times. Each time I honestly remember just driving as fast as possible to get it over with. There is only one section called the Grapevine Ascent that is cool, but I think that is way south of where you are going.

I would avoid I-90 through eastern WA, boring drive there too. And actually much of the Montana drives that I remember were just long straight shots. Some nice views, but just butt soreness inducing go sessions.

Of all my lowly opinions I would say you definitely have to do the Million Dollar Highway, It woudl only maybe add 45 minutes to an hour to your trip. And Durango is one of the best towns the States have to offer. Have dinner at the Durango Brewing Company, good beer and food.
View attachment 12651

Thanks for all the feedback!

I know a lot of people don't understand why I'm taking the I5 through Washington and Oregon but I think it's the best route to take to get through both states quickly. I've been most of Washington and Oregon already and I can go there any time I want. This trip is to see things I've never seen before :)

I'll have a look at your other suggestions!

Thanks for all the feedback!

I know a lot of people don't understand why I'm taking the I5 through Washington and Oregon but I think it's the best route to take to get through both states quickly. I've been most of Washington and Oregon already and I can go there any time I want. This trip is to see things I've never seen before :)

I'll have a look at your other suggestions!

Yeah, good luck, Zion national park, and durango to silverton are really some of the most amazing scenery.

Now that I think about it Zion to Kanab down to the north rim of the grand canyon is awesome and then you can cut over past Lee's ferry and the vermillion cliffs on the way to Tuba city and the Four Corners.

Also, on the way out of Durango, there is a hot spring with a campsite/lodging near by. Rest up those bones in some healing waters.

I know what you mean about WA and Oregon. I grew up there around Federal Way, WA. The I-5 and the I-90 are pretty boring except for Snoqualmie Pass. The I-90 only has some good portions thorugh the Grand Tetons.

Good luck, PM when your trip plans are cemented. If you end up going that way I may meet up with you in Tuba City and ride through Silverton. I live down in Phoenix. been here for the last 11 years. Only other ride that I think is really awesome is the Prescott ride I posted on Youtube. But that is not a really good ride to go out of your way for on a long trip.
I'll save you the trouble
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av6bvgevfE]AZ SR89 Prescott to Wilhoit on Fz6 Darkness - YouTube[/ame]

Somebody on the Fz6 forum was looking to plan a trip as well. If you were going to cruise southern utah, northern AZ and SW Colorado I would hit these spots for sure

1. Zion-Bryce Canyon National Park (one of the best places I've ever been)
2. North Rim Grand Canyon (most people only do the south rim, north rim is more imposing)
3. Vermillion Cliffs outside Page, AZ (feels like on another planet)
4. Four Corners, AZ (neat monument)
5. Durango and Million Dollar Highway to Silverton to Montrose (one of the most amazing drives, I did it in my old jeep and had fun in the twisty's and amazing views, I couldn't imageine how great on a moto, but be careful).

Probably the only boring stretch on there is about 30 miles from Bryce Canyon area to the Nort Rim and then a 70 miles stretch from Kayena, AZ to Four Corners. And it's not really that boring, just in comparison to everything else it is a lot of flat more or less straight travel.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...svCR-SkXCAeKiFA_hzFNl4tQZ-QXBQ&t=h&mra=pr&z=7

Bring extra SD Cards and Batteries

So I was perusing your route through N. Calif and noted that you are heading through some pretty flat country. If you aren't pressed for time, you could take Hwy 36 east from Red Bluff, connect up with Hwy 89 and head south, meeting up with Hwy 70 and see some really nice mountain areas. You'll still get Monitor Pass, as long as it is open in early June, although for my money I'd prefer Sonora Pass (it is a lot farther south than it looks like you want to go).

Glad you got the time off!

The route in and around Northern California is really just a place holder. I'll be staying with Doug out there and I'm sure he has some great route in mind :)

The route in and around Northern California is really just a place holder. I'll be staying with Doug out there and I'm sure he has some great route in mind :)

I'll just send you down some roads that aren't even on the map and see if you can find your way home :teeter:

Ally is right, after this trip you need to come back down and we will spend a few days riding the Trinity Alps . It's twisty heaven.

So I was perusing your route through N. Calif and noted that you are heading through some pretty flat country. If you aren't pressed for time, you could take Hwy 36 east from Red Bluff, connect up with Hwy 89 and head south, meeting up with Hwy 70 and see some really nice mountain areas. You'll still get Monitor Pass, as long as it is open in early June, although for my money I'd prefer Sonora Pass (it is a lot farther south than it looks like you want to go).

Glad you got the time off!

I would have to agree, that ride to Red Bluff looks amazing

Motorcycle Ride Highway 36 - Red Bluff to Eureka, California

I'm trying to figure out a way to make it that far up North.

Back