Spring 2013 -- Help Plan a Two Week Trip

Dustin

I'm cold and wet and miserable and already trying to decide where to go next spring. My starting point is Vancouver, BC and I'd like to be home in maybe 14 days.

Ideas?

Current Maps:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited:
I did a lot of the west coast in June.

I've got a few places I'd like to see: Yellowstone, Moab, Nevada US-50 (The Loneliest Road in America).

Maybe south east would be the goal. Just tossing ideas around

I've decided I want to check out the Bonneville Salt Flats along the way so I've adjusted the route slightly.

I'm going to 'pencil out' a rough itinerary here, just ignore me.

Last edited:
You should definabtly hit the 101 it would be a shame to pass up the coast. It would be a nice break from the strait boring freeway anyways. Unless you really need to get through oregon and cali fast. You can jump on the 101 for a small section atleast.

I've decided I want to check out the Bonneville Salt Flats along the way so I've adjusted the route slightly.

I'm going to 'pencil out' a rough itinerary here, just ignore me.

Day 1: Home to Medford, OR - 600 miles
Day 2: Medford, OR to Grass Valley, CA (Where Doug is!) - 300 miles
Day 3: Grass Valley, CA to Fallon, NV the long way - 300 miles
Day 4: Fallon, NV to Wendover, UT via US-50 - 400 miles
Day 5: Wendover, UT to Monticello, UT via Salt Lake City & Moab - 400 miles
Day 6: Monticello, UT to Montrose, CO via Four Corners Monument & CO-145 - 250 miles
Day 7: Montrose, CO to Estes Park, CO via US-34 - 300 miles
Day 8:
Day 9:

I'll do more later

Current map

E mail sent. You can do Grass Valley to Ely Nv. in a day easy, only 405 miles and from Ely I'm sending you to southern Utah for Vacation land before up to Moab. Southern Utah is awesome!
As I said skip four corners, not worth the effort. However I did include Colorado 141 as it is not to be missed-ask Lighthouse.
Also from Yellowstone you must head east to Cody then northwest on Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Hwy to Montana. These two roads are Motorcycle heaven.
More as you post up some route corrections.

You should definabtly hit the 101 it would be a shame to pass up the coast. It would be a nice break from the strait boring freeway anyways. Unless you really need to get through oregon and cali fast. You can jump on the 101 for a small section atleast.

I've done the entire coast down to the bay area basically so there's no need to go back that way. I need to beat feet through WA/OR to save time, thus the I5 section

Updated route based on Doug's tips

Last edited:
If you can make it to yellowstone, DO IT!

My wife and I went there years ago for our first wedding anniversary and that place is spectacular! Besides the awesome geothermal features there is tons of water, water falls, creeks, rivers, water everywhere (maybe not a big deal to you, but living in socal I basically live in the desert by the sea). Going in the spring would mean all the water falls and rivers would be full.

Exactly what month are you thinking Dustin?
US 34 (Trail Ridge Rd.) in Rocky Mtn. National Park didn't even open until mid May of this year and we had very light snow this year.
We rode Beartooth in late June 2010 and it was very cold & windy up there. We had a first year GoPro camera and it didn't work up there cause of the cold.

first pic is Beartooth
second is Chief Joseph

Just a side note on Hwy 50 after Fallon and Middlegate you will get on Hwy 722 (old hwy 50), it's a great road through the Mts. instead of around them. You will rejoin Hwy 50 before Austin.

The Utah and Colorado route looks delicious.

I'm planning late June I think, same sort of time as my last trip. I'm bringing my Roadcrafter this time & all my GoreTex. I have all winter to plan, thankfully.

Those are some beautiful shots!

Southern Utah is awesome!
As I said skip four corners, not worth the effort. However I did include Colorado 141 as it is not to be missed-ask Lighthouse.
Also from Yellowstone you must head east to Cody then northwest on Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Hwy to Montana. These two roads are Motorcycle heaven.

I agree with Doug......the 4 Corners, not that exciting really....
highway 141, that was one of the prettiest canyons I've ever been thru.
And if you're a car guy, stop in Gateway, we didn't have time to go into it, but there's a museum there:
Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

I'm getting all excited about YOUR trip :popcorn:

Back