Spring 2013 -- Help Plan a Two Week Trip

US-50 is the most boring road ever. I would skip it.

Really? You have a better way across Nevada?

Ever ridden hwy 722 (old 50) from Eastgate to Austin? Some real sweet twistys on that section. Yes crossing Nevada has some real open roads but that's where you can explore life above a buck if you wish. Austin to Ely has some nice country too.
However I will agree from Ely to Delta, Utah on 50 is brutally boring.

I have spent the afternoon learning Garmin Basecamp so I can upload the custom routes to my GPS. I've got it figured out now and it's oh so sweet and easy. I used to hate Basecamp but it's bloody easy to use!

Last edited:
Does anyone have some tips on nice roads in Wyoming? I've laid out a route through Wyoming coming from the eastern Colorado border up to Yellowstone. Most of it is boring but if anyone has experience on roads in that State, let me know :)

Does anyone have some tips on nice roads in Wyoming? I've laid out a route through Wyoming coming from the eastern Colorado border up to Yellowstone. Most of it is boring but if anyone has experience on roads in that State, let me know :)

I drove the I-80 through WY once and it was terribly boring, also there were some insane truckers there I was doing 90 the whole time just so as not to be run over. I would suggest not taking this road if you can.

I did however cut up through Utah on the I-15 and then got over to I-84. I-84 was some pretty scenic driving, I did like that portion of road heading back through Idaho into easter Washington.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3g8P7gnqs]Timelapse Drive - US Route 50 Nevada "Loneliest Highway" - YouTube[/ame]

That looks absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything quite like that before :sport12:

Doug has been helping me iron out my route and this it's pretty much nailed down now.

Map created by GPS Visualizer

On his suggestion, I skipped Bonneville Salt Flats & Salt Lake City. May as well save some boring miles.

I think this trip can be done in an easy 12 days, maybe 10. Considering I have 25 days off, this leaves me tons of time to do more and more and more riding! :bday:

Norcal & Lake Tahoe area is as far south I'll be in Cali. Doug is very kindly hosting me for a night in his neck of the woods. We'll ride around Norcal for a bit and I will head east through Nevada on US-50

Nice routes, just remember to allow for road construction and perhaps some real heat. You will be riding in the Utah and Colorado so be ready to see some really cool sh*t , it's about checking out where you are more than just pounding miles.

I would go from Tahoe via Kingsbury Grade. Drove down that way and it way twisty and not too much traffic. Just go a bit further south before going east.

Back