So what motor oil is everyone using?

Pure synthetic is a waste of money but it won't hurt anything as long as you change it at maybe 4000 miles.

Doing what is best for your engine versus what a manufacturer tells you to do will make your engine last longer with fewer repairs.

That's what I've heard from more than one mechanic. But then, after you start with synthetic you have to stay with it, right?

That's what I've heard from more than one mechanic. But then, after you start with synthetic you have to stay with it, right?

Mechanics know little about oil -- fact.

No you can change ANY oil to another oil. Just monitor it for a few hundred miles checking your oil levels.

Change your bike at 3000 mile intervals and it barely matters if you use oil or cooking oil or suntan lotion. :)

Mechanics know little about oil -- fact.

No you can change ANY oil to another oil. Just monitor it for a few hundred miles checking your oil levels.

Change your bike at 3000 mile intervals and it barely matters if you use oil or cooking oil or suntan lotion. :)

Ah, gotcha. I've been doing 4000 with 10W 40. Guess I should bump up to 3000 then?

Nope. But manual states 4000, I believe. Of course, now you tell me that might be off......:)

Here is what I do: i run Castrol 20w50 and change oil and filter every 3000 miles.

I also have a Honda Magna with 57000 miles on it. I took it to the shop for a valve check and they are all still within spec. Engine is super clean.

It is not necessary to run all the fancy stuff. #1 - most people don't keep bikes long enough for it to matter. #2 costs too much. #3 you are not analyzing your oil (nor me) therefore we have no idea what is going on in there. Don't take the chance ---- change your oil.

What the hell I'll get in on this. I have been running Yamalube but I am switching to Amsoil for my next oil change. It's a little expensive at around 12 bucks a quart but it is great oil (used to be all I would run in my ZX12R when I owned it). I will for sure be buying my oil filters from walmart from now on, the filters at my dealer are highway robbery. Thanks everyone for your posts, great info and funny as hell!:rofl:

What the hell I'll get in on this. I have been running Yamalube but I am switching to Amsoil for my next oil change. It's a little expensive at around 12 bucks a quart but it is great oil (used to be all I would run in my ZX12R when I owned it). I will for sure be buying my oil filters from walmart from now on, the filters at my dealer are highway robbery. Thanks everyone for your posts, great info and funny as hell!:rofl:

That's as good a way as any to piss away your money. :)

That's as good a way as any to piss away your money. :)

So's getting married but that didn't stop me either:D

I do like Castor Oil though, I run it in my car and SUV, Syntec titanium in both rigs. 130,000 on the Durango and running great burns no oil,,,,, that reminds me I have to change oil in that beast...

Last edited:
So's getting married but that didn't stop me either:D

I do like Castor Oil though, I run it in my car and SUV, Syntec titanium in both rigs. 130,000 on the Durango and running great burns no oil,,,,, that reminds me I have to change oil in that beast...

hehehe but I think Castor oil is for sewing machines or maybe constipation.:)

Back