So what motor oil is everyone using?

I use Mobil 1 4T racing oil

:+1: (me too) love the mobil 1.

Where are you getting mobile 1 4t.

Last time I picked up my Mobil 1 4T, I got it at O'Reilly's auto parts for about $10.99 per quart. :doh2: I need to find a cheaper place. AutoZone has it about the same price around me. (I needed it, they had it and I didn't go shop around - Wal-Mart around me didn't carry it :()

I'm also using that Wal-Mart SuperTech ST7317 filter. It's longer than the stock, but I don't think the oil pump has a problem with it. It's just has much less room between the headers and the end of the filter.

Amsoil?

I've read on other forums where people praise Amsoil. I've used it for the last 2 oil changes. Problem is, you can only get it from a supplier. Amsoil is the AVON of motor oils haha. It's all I've used since I got my bike and can't say anything bad about it. It seems to help keep my engine temps down to on those long rides.

i believe it's less the oil and more the owner. can put the best oil in and if you don't change it or abuse the bike you will have problems sooner or later. I have personally ran mobil 1 and royal purple, have rp in it now. Only difference i can tell is that the clutch seems a little smoother with the rp.

I currently Run Amsoil in my bike. I dont mind the protection. I ride it hard.

I only run Schaffer when I need to feel like impressing others. :smokin2:

You guys should really take the time to sit down and read and study the polimer chain and its perplex make up of components the determine the ballance and stability of the strain right down to the nearest molicule of oil to be sure it will seccreat properly between your bearings and races or journals before putting any oil in your bike. Without this knowlage or do diligance your only depending on experts to provide you an oil that might work, or you turn to the experts here to sell you what they use. Which is the best choice. IMO. If the oil isnt ambient for your environment you shouldnt use it.

Ah hell who am I fooling, If you change your oil every 3000 miles any low quality dino oil will do the job. All oils that meet the mild specs for you bike will work fine if your going to do the normal intervles..
If you feel you ride hard step it up, pay for a full synth that is qualified for your bike. Yamalube+4 is good oil.

I myself do 3500 mile cahnges on an oil that will hold up to 12 to 15000 mile intervles. I choose to have superior protection.
I Run Amsoil full synth.
I dont even know where to by Schaffer oil, I only met one retired sales rep for the stuff and before that never even heard of it and havent seen it since.

The bottom line is, Make sure you have oil in it. lol

Last edited:
Another PLUS++++

:+1: (me too) love the mobil 1.

(Me three !!) I absolutetly LOVE the MOBIL 1 4T Racing and my FZ does too! She runs cooler, runs faster, runs better, runs cleaner, runs longer, well , , , ,you all get the idea, and no I don't get paid a stinkin' dime for sayin' it !! There , , , ,take that . . . . :spank2:
Btw, I have switched from the YAMAHA oil filter to the K&N. I use these on all of my bikes. Really love the 17mm nut welded on the end. No more stinkin' filter wrench that slips off and skins my delicate digits . . . : oops:

So long as it is oil with the correct specs, it almost doesn't matter what you put in as long as you change it regularly. I prefer the same as Dustin... Wal-Mart Rotella T6. Cheap Synthetic that works just fine.

(Me three !!) I absolutetly LOVE the MOBIL 1 4T Racing and my FZ does too! She runs cooler, runs faster, runs better, runs cleaner, runs longer, well , , , ,you all get the idea, and no I don't get paid a stinkin' dime for sayin' it !! There , , , ,take that . . . . :spank2:
Btw, I have switched from the YAMAHA oil filter to the K&N. I use these on all of my bikes. Really love the 17mm nut welded on the end. No more stinkin' filter wrench that slips off and skins my delicate digits . . . : oops:

Oh, come on... I don't believe you don't have a Mobil 1 and K&N sticker on there somewhere! You advertise for them! : owned: :bs2: :noworries:

Motor oil?

Part of the question was, "can you use automotive oil". I think it is a bad idea if you have a wet clutch. I would use motorcycle specific oil. Just my opinion.

Yep . . !

Oh, come on... I don't believe you don't have a Mobil 1 and K&N sticker on there somewhere! You advertise for them! : owned: :bs2: :noworries:

Troy, I have some decals left over and I'm saving them for your FZ !!! They should go well with the faster, CoBalt Blue . . . :hook2:

As stated before, use an oil that meets or exceeds Yamaha's standards and your all good. I'm currently rocking the Shell Rotella T synthetic available at WalMart. I also use the Super Tech 7317 oil filter.

I like a full synthetic as I feel it helps in smoothing out the transmission shifting. About the cheapest full syn is Rotella T6 which I just bought at Walmart yesterday for $21.76 for a 4 qt jug. I use K&N filter because I like the nut welded on the top which makes changing a snap ($10.50 from Amazon Prime, no tax). So I can use a full synthetic and a quality filter all for about $27 per change. That's pretty cheap in my book, less than a penny per mile.

Last edited:
Back