So what motor oil is everyone using?

Every bodies math is off. CB got 4.00 out of nowhere. Loosenut say he paid 21 and change for oil 10 and change for a filter but the final cost is 27.00. Good thing we are motorcyclists and not scientists. Then again this is how oil threads go. I'm still waiting for Crazyjoe to chime in to make it perfect.

Every bodies math is off. CB got 4.00 out of nowhere. Loosenut say he paid 21 and change for oil 10 and change for a filter but the final cost is 27.00. Good thing we are motorcyclists and not scientists. Then again this is how oil threads go. I'm still waiting for Crazyjoe to chime in to make it perfect.

I am one. Damn, I need to go and hide behind a couch or something... I saw him mention cost of oil 21 and total oil change 25 & change and now he has edited his post.

I think it was my post you were referring to, but my math of $27 is correct. 4 qts of Shell Rotella T6 is $21.76 at Walmart. Even though the manual says the bike takes 3.28 qts with filter change, I can never get more than 3 quarts of oil in before it shows full, so ...... ($21.76/4) x 3 qts oil + $10.50 filter = $26.82, rounded up to $27.00. I'm not a scientist but I am an engineer and math was always my strong suit. QED

Before some one else points out the flaw in my logic the 4th oil change would be the cost of a filter(providing you have a quart laying around).

Correct, i was going to point this out aswell. I use Motul 4t 5100 10w40w. On my trackbike i run full synthetic oil. IMO F/S oil on the FZ1 its a waste of $$$ if your not hammering the crap out of her, a decient semi is all thats required but hell each to there own the oil companies are laughing!!!.

You guys are getting off easy! Not only do I get about 22 mpg It takes 5 quarts of oil at 11.00 a quart. :smokin2:

You should get a good 70-80 miles per tank. (I'm only getting 100-120.) But those rolling burnouts are worth it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dds6WKFpc-4]VMax Rolling Burnout - YouTube[/ame] :tup:
Thanks for the footage, Billy!

And now back to the oil... again :surrender:

Getting ready to do mine, the Rotella T6 is that auto oil but with the correct additives for a motorcycle?

I like a full synthetic as I feel it helps in smoothing out the transmission shifting. About the cheapest full syn is Rotella T6 which I just bought at Walmart yesterday for $21.76 for a 4 qt jug.

Here we go again...
images

I use Mobil 1 4T racing oil

Good stuff..same here

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Funny, I tough the old oil thread was popular on "beginners bike forum only". I guess it's all over the place!

There's 3 things you don't want to talk about. Religion, Politic and Oil thread! LOL

I don't mind talking about oil, I just have nothing new to add right now. I still use Mobil 1 4T. If someone has a question, please feel free to ask and talk about it, just read the old posts too. I always willing to learn.

Oil

When I had my '99 Triumph Tiger they recommended their own 15W-50 Mobil 1 4T oil which was almost $50 a gallon. I used it and only changed it once a year. The bike did great even on an 8000 mile Alaska trip. I'm using Amzoil Motorcycle 10W-40 now in the FZ1. I get a discount at my local Honda dealer but you can get it at various Auto parts stores and at our local Fleet Farm stores for about $10 qt. I think people change their oil too often, use a quality synthetic motorcycle oil and change it every fall before you store the bike unless you race it or live in the desert or extreme environment.

I think people change their oil too often, use a quality synthetic motorcycle oil and change it every fall before you store the bike unless you race it or live in the desert or extreme environment.

I just change it at the service intervals recommended by the manufacturer. That usually ends up being every 2-3 months but I figure it's best just to follow their guidelines

I use only organic, grain fed, farm fresh oil sourced from fair trade dinosaurs. One dollar from every litre goes towards food and shelter for orphaned pelicans in Brazil.

Oh, I heard about this on NPR. Apparently some experts are now saying that the grain is an endangered species, so they're trying to feed the dinosaurs on seaweed paste, but then they'll only make 15W-50.

I use mobil1 as well :p

Back