Pod Mod - Lights!

well, happy to report that I'm able to get Rabeet's custom flushmounts to work in a fashion that I am becoming very accustom to.....

I now have Running lights instead of all the LED's blinking (came that way from the person I purchased, and up until recently, I was Electrically slooooooooooooooooow.

Thanks to some help from va_rider on some residential work, I have started to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and can possibly get it to light up as well.....

I'll post some pictures and also some diagrams that I found and have you's who know all the symbols, give me a quick rundown so I know exactly what it is that I'm looking at...

more to come.....

well, happy to report that I'm able to get Rabeet's custom flushmounts to work in a fashion that I am becoming very accustom to.....

I now have Running lights instead of all the LED's blinking (came that way from the person I purchased, and up until recently, I was Electrically slooooooooooooooooow.

Thanks to some help from va_rider on some residential work, I have started to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and can possibly get it to light up as well.....

I'll post some pictures and also some diagrams that I found and have you's who know all the symbols, give me a quick rundown so I know exactly what it is that I'm looking at...

more to come.....

Any updates Adam? Curious to see what this turned out like. Maybe a short video of it all working too? Thanks!

Reading this thread today made me take a trip to Auto Zone, 1 hour later, done.

Great write up and pictures. I ended up using the pinch quick connectors as well because I'm naturally lazy. :newbie:

edit: had to take a picture

FZ1_pod.jpg

Last edited:
Reading this thread today made me take a trip to Auto Zone, 1 hour later, done.

Great write up and pictures. I ended up using the pinch quick connectors as well because I'm naturally lazy. :newbie:

edit: had to take a picture

FZ1_pod.jpg

OOOOhhhhh, pretty.
Seriously, nice picture.

Thanks guys, and you're right, that was EASY. I'm looking at my neighbors HD Trike, he wants me to add some lights to it now. :wilynily:

I'm have a photog business so the picture was natural to me, I will be posting more mod shots as I do them and then this summer doing some artistic shots as time and mood permits. :sport12:

Long term update:

As you know, I am running the Copperdog LED front signals, Copperdog rear incandescent rear signals, Copperdog flasher module and the LED pod light mod as shown in this thread.

As of late, the blink rate on the bike seems to be getting slightly faster with time passing. Today, I was warming up the bike this morning and gave my typical walk-around and safety check. As I looked at the front, the clutch-side pod LED has the two lower right LEDS flickering and four of them on steady. Unsure what might cause this to happen.

What I might do is just got get a pair of amber 194 incandescent bulbs and replace the LED pod bulbs which will, of course, kill the flicking bulb but also to see if this clears up the flash rate.

Copperdog states that this flasher module will handle any combination of LED/incandescent bulb config. Maybe it is just a defective LED 194A? We'll see!

you know, I was just thinking about mine. they still work great but with the new HIDs, can't be seen from some angles. the place where i got the kit has 194s that are supposed to be brighter. i wish i'd noticed that when i ordered the kit!

i used a universal flasher relay from cycle gear and haven't had a problem with the combo lid/incadescent bulbs.

Well, here is an update. One of the Jam Strait LED 194A LED bulbs went south and it was causing the entire signal system to flash erratically. I pulled the POD LED Jam Straits and put in a pair of incandescent 194A bulbs and all is back to normal. Of course, I am also all the way back to stock signals now until I repair the Copperdog pods.

Just wanted to give a heads-up on the Jam Straits though!

I have been wanting to find an inexpensive way to do this ever since I saw those empty spots that looked like they should have lights there. Thanks for the great write up!

I did find an option for anyone interested. Discount also had some 90* sockets, which I figured may protrude less for a cleaner install. Part #85868

Also considering installing some colored LEDS (red) from here Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs (hopefully not illegal in FL).

My plan to extract any shavings that may fall in, is to use a little piece of tape rolled sticky side out and then taped to something that will fit in there.

I really love these "bang for your buck" mods!

I have been wanting to find an inexpensive way to do this ever since I saw those empty spots that looked like they should have lights there. Thanks for the great write up!

I did find an option for anyone interested. Discount also had some 90* sockets, which I figured may protrude less for a cleaner install. Part #85868

Also considering installing some colored LEDS (red) from here Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs (hopefully not illegal in FL).

My plan to extract any shavings that may fall in, is to use a little piece of tape rolled sticky side out and then taped to something that will fit in there.

I really love these "bang for your buck" mods!

Well I have done this mod and I'm not sure that the 90° sockets are the way to go. There is no clearance issue using the straight sockets and they provide more leverage for pushing them in and out of the openings. Of course this isn't that big a deal since you wont be removing them often, but just wanted to mention it.

I bought both kinds, just in case :tup:
Am I gonna have to get a flasher relay? I am running side marker LEDs, and I want the new fronts to act as running AND blinker. Sides are fine as just blinker for me.

ok so if I want to just have them as running lights, I just use the blue wire and the black as a ground rite? i have led signals fore and aft. i have some light plugs from an old set of incandesent flushmounts from my old bike. if this is the case i have everything i need here @ the house!!!

Problem. Help?

Completed this mod over the weekend. Everything went well and it looks great, except I have a problem. The green flasher indicator on the dash stays lit. Whenever I unplug the left bulb, left dash indicator goes off. Same for the right. I didn't read of anyone else having this problem, so ideas would be appreciated!
Background info - I used the same sockets as OP. Also used the same (non-polarized) Jamstrait bulbs. Experimented with other (polarized) LEDs as well. Wired it in the same. I have LED side marker lights. Installed Yamaha specific electronic flasher relay from Cycle Gear. Running light/flasher works as it should. Dash indicator slightly modulates brighter as signal flashes. :confused0024:

Completed this mod over the weekend. Everything went well and it looks great, except I have a problem. The green flasher indicator on the dash stays lit. Whenever I unplug the left bulb, left dash indicator goes off. Same for the right. I didn't read of anyone else having this problem, so ideas would be appreciated!
Background info - I used the same sockets as OP. Also used the same (non-polarized) Jamstrait bulbs. Experimented with other (polarized) LEDs as well. Wired it in the same. I have LED side marker lights. Installed Yamaha specific electronic flasher relay from Cycle Gear. Running light/flasher works as it should. Dash indicator slightly modulates brighter as signal flashes. :confused0024:

Check your ground connection. If not the only thing you did different than me is the use of the flasher relay. I wired mine straight to the turn signal connection and haven't experienced any problems with the dash indicator lights. Is your bike a GenI or GenII?

Gen II. I had the same problem before I installed the relay. Ground @ battery? Not experiencing any other problems besides this one. All I can think is the LED is somehow allowing voltage to "leak" through and make the dash think it's "blinking", but constantly...?

Back