Pod Mod - Lights!

Gen II. I had the same problem before I installed the relay. Ground @ battery? Not experiencing any other problems besides this one. All I can think is the LED is somehow allowing voltage to "leak" through and make the dash think it's "blinking", but constantly...?

Okay, so how are the lights wired from the sockets? All I did was piggy back one lead to the positive turn signal lead, and the other to a ground. My signals just blink opposite of the turn signals, first the turn signal then the marker light. It's always easier if we could see a picture of the setup. Is that possible?

I found the actual photo of my wiring. The Brown and Black leads are from the Pod Light.

LightMod012.jpg

I was so sure I had it right I was soldering and heat shrinking. Here is the left side. Right is the same, only with brown going to green. The yellow/black wires are coming from the el cheapo LED side markers.

This would leave the black from the original wiring unused, right? I will play around with the side lights (which were being used only as turn signals) and report back. Thanks!

i had one hole that i drilled out a little big as well. and i used silicon to hold it in. i would have rather used super white bulbs instead of the ambers but it looks good. i would also like to use blue leds but im not sure of the legallity of the blues facing forward...

Only hiccup I had was that the 3/4 inch hold was too big and I had to use silicone to hold them in.

Thanks!

Choppastyle.

What sockets did you purchase for this? Did you measure the ones you bought first to be sure of the drill size?

Did you wire them as running only or alternating blinkers? Pics!!!

Nice, Aussie bikes have them as running lights but since Aus design rules call for the headlights to be hardwired "on" all the time they are rather redundant.

So converting them to indicators has appeal.

i wired mine as running lites, they look great! i had some old turn signals laying around and used those. bought the leds @ az.

FZ1inNH

What sockets did you purchase for this? Did you measure the ones you bought first to be sure of the drill size?

Did you wire them as running only or alternating blinkers? Pics!!!

Didn't measure them because I jump into things to quick when I'm excited. I bought the exact part number that you posted 8something14 If I remember correctly. I was going to silicone them anyways to keep humidity out of the light housing. I did what you recommended and wired them as both running lights and blinkers. Only complaint is that they don't blink in sync with the turn signal, they alternate. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll think it's kind of cool. I'll be wiring some new mods soon so as soon as I do I'll snap some pics of the silicone while the plastics are off. Really enjoying this site! I joined another forum for FZ1s and they weren't nearly as helpful as everyone here.

Thanks,

Choppastyle

I just did this mod on my 06. They didn't have the right plug so i went with PN 85868, same size, just the wires come out of the plug at a 90 degree angle instead of straight out. Works like a charm!

For all of you that have done this mod, I would like to know what the best/brightest bulb is to use? Any other tips would be appreciated too, although Cobalt's excellent tutorial pretty much covers it all. Thanks

Got my front Eagle Eye amber LEDs installed as markers / alternating signals following the perfect instructions on this forum... thanks guys!

the hardware store did not have a step-bit, so I used a 7/8 wood bore bit, got it close to all the way through and then one edge gave, the factory must've made it a punch out. When that gave I simply peeled the rest off. I then pressed the Eagle Eye through, tight fit, followed it with a thick rubber washer which I also pushed through into the headlight assembly against the back of the light to help seal the opening. I then mounted a larger washer on the outside to secure it all and snugged up the mounting nut.

I messed up the wiring on the first side, went LED neg to the Neg wire harness... I had to grab the kids iPad to look up the wiring set-up below and fixed it all. I used the 18guage waterproof heat-shrink butt connectors... was able to mate everything up and used the heat gun to melt the sleeve to the wires.

View attachment 16596

Yamaha Fz1 LED lights installed - YouTube

Back