Pod Mod - Lights!

Got my front Eagle Eye amber LEDs installed as markers / alternating signals following the perfect instructions on this forum... thanks guys!

the hardware store did not have a step-bit, so I used a 7/8 wood bore bit, got it close to all the way through and then one edge gave, the factory must've made it a punch out. When that gave I simply peeled the rest off. I then pressed the Eagle Eye through, tight fit, followed it with a thick rubber washer which I also pushed through into the headlight assembly against the back of the light to help seal the opening. I then mounted a larger washer on the outside to secure it all and snugged up the mounting nut.

I messed up the wiring on the first side, went LED neg to the Neg wire harness... I had to grab the kids iPad to look up the wiring set-up below and fixed it all. I used the 18guage waterproof heat-shrink butt connectors... was able to mate everything up and used the heat gun to melt the sleeve to the wires.

View attachment 16596

Yamaha Fz1 LED lights installed - YouTube

Well done! Some mods are just trial and error. Nice work and it looks great!

I completed this mod over the weekend. I had two sets of stock front turn signals, so I decided to re-purpose their wiring for the pod lights, since I was also installing Proton flush-mounts at the same time.

There were a couple of "wrinkles" that I had to work out. First, I had to figure out how to get the 3-wire connector off the turn signal wiring in order to completely remove it from the housing. Second, I had to use a razor blade to trim te rubber light "socket" so that it would mount flush with the inside of the fairing. I used the stock signal bulbs, but will order a new set of amber LEDs if I can find some that will work both as running lights and as turn signals.

Cost in excess of the Photon flush-mounts was $0, but the project ended up being time-consuming because of a couple of false-starts, a couple of screw-ups on my part, and life-in-general getting in the way. I think if I were to do it from scratch (knowing what I know now), it would probably be about a two-hour job.

Thanks for the great idea. I think that the results are worth the effort!

eM5z95P.jpg

I completed this mod over the weekend. I had two sets of stock front turn signals, so I decided to re-purpose their wiring for the pod lights, since I was also installing Proton flush-mounts at the same time.

There were a couple of "wrinkles" that I had to work out. First, I had to figure out how to get the 3-wire connector off the turn signal wiring in order to completely remove it from the housing. Second, I had to use a razor blade to trim te rubber light "socket" so that it would mount flush with the inside of the fairing. I used the stock signal bulbs, but will order a new set of amber LEDs if I can find some that will work both as running lights and as turn signals.

Cost in excess of the Photon flush-mounts was $0, but the project ended up being time-consuming because of a couple of false-starts, a couple of screw-ups on my part, and life-in-general getting in the way. I think if I were to do it from scratch (knowing what I know now), it would probably be about a two-hour job.

View attachment 22057
Doing it the hard way, huh? You could have gotten a pair of podlight harnesses from autozone, etc. for 194 LEDs.

Doing it the hard way, huh? You could have gotten a pair of podlight harnesses from autozone, etc. for 194 LEDs.

Yeah, call me a glutton for punishment :banghead:

Aren't the Autozone harnesses only two-wire? I liked the idea of the running lights. Plus, the pre-marked holes in the inner fairing looked like they were begging for the same bulb socket as was used in the turn signals.

Ordered the EAGLE EYE leds from China-bay and did a test fit/lighting test and they are plenty bright. They went in very tight in the 7/8" hole I made with a step-bit. I secured them in place using super-glue around the perimeter, prior to pressing them in and sealed the back with black RTV.

Thanks everyone for posting your individual set-ups :)

I thought that FZ1inNH did a great job with photos. Here is a diagram I whippped up for you. I hope the colors come out looking right right I added text anyway. The key is that the black wires from the signals is not used at all.
1317d1259541212-pod-mod-lights-wireing.jpg

Think you could repost this? The image is gone.

Think you could repost this? The image is gone.

Seems we lost a LOT of images. Let me see if I can replace them...

***EDIT**** I've found the original pics and edited the posts after re-uploading them. I still have to do this to my 2013. I just put the Watsen's on and need to wire my ciggy socket anyway. May as well do this mod too. I think I'm going to find the R1 sockets for a water-tight seal this time, not that I had water issues before.

Last edited:
Seems we lost a LOT of images. Let me see if I can replace them...

***EDIT**** I've found the original pics and edited the posts after re-uploading them. I still have to do this to my 2013. I just put the Watsen's on and need to wire my ciggy socket anyway. May as well do this mod too. I think I'm going to find the R1 sockets for a water-tight seal this time, not that I had water issues before.
Let us know the part number when you do. I'll order those as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can get universal rubber light sockets off eBay. Designed to work with different hole sizes of you drill too big. That's what I did, I think it was $5 for a set. Much cheaper than the r1 route. Which I couldn't justify, especially since your just cutting the plug off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 22057

Think this is the route I want to go down as well can you describe what additional parts you had to purchase to make this work or were you able to use the components from the stock turn signal entirely? Also any issues with clearance and the bulbs being to long? I want to run some switchback LED's but not sure if there is enough room.

Last edited:
Back